PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea to Get New Fish?

MatthewLaw
02/26/2009, 09:53 PM
Greetings All- I have just started hypotreatment for my coral beauty, valentini puffer, false perc and yellow tail damsel (who lives in the sump).

I was just thinking, would it be such a bad idea to purchase new fish and slowly acclimate them to hyposalinity as prophalactic treatment?

Of course there is a risk that the new fish is carrying more than ich so maybe a separate QT hypo tank before adding them to the display of hypo?

Just an idea.

DamnPepShrimp
02/26/2009, 10:03 PM
I always seperate my QT fish. I have my eel and wrasse in one tank and my new angels in another. It is tempting though when starting a new treatment, to just add another fish. Won't your 50g be fully stocked now with all the fish?

MatthewLaw
02/26/2009, 10:08 PM
minus my QT tank, all my other SW tanks are being treated for ich.

the current stock list for the 50g is:
1 coral beauty
1. false perc
1. valentini puffer
1. klein butterfly
1. yellotail damsel (in sump)

think that's capacity? i was thinking maybe a dwarf pygmy angel but im not sure angels get along, well at least not in tanks under 100g (similar to different clown specific in the same tank)

e55MD
02/26/2009, 11:11 PM
I would say that you are fully stocked for 50 gallons.
Small angels would probably not get along. When I had a Lemonpeel and a Flame Angel in my 400 gallon they bickered constantly. I imagine it woud be a lot worse in such a small tank.

MatthewLaw
02/26/2009, 11:17 PM
wow i agree based on your experiences.

i was thinking about a dwarf lion down the road, once the valentini gets bigger. he is a little smaller than my false perc and i dont want the puffer to become a snack for the lion.

LukFox
02/26/2009, 11:21 PM
Maybe get a mate for the clown? I probably wouldn't risk much else. Also, a separate quarantine sounds like a good idea for a new fish. Just don't get overwhelmed because you might end up needing to treat two tanks if the new fish (if you get one) brings something with it. Don't wear yourself out because getting lazy on treatment/water changes in QT can become dangerous quickly. If that is an issue you could just wait till you finish treating your current fish.

A dwarf lion could easily eat your clown, and possibly others.

MatthewLaw
02/26/2009, 11:26 PM
the clown had a mate and in fact i purchased them as pairs --- within the few days the harassment got bad enough that the smaller clown lost most color and spent most of its day hiding. maybe it was becuase the tank was only 30g? i guess if i purchased a real juvenille false perc then the pecking order would be quickly established.

i had my valentini and butterfly in a separate QT. everything was great and last night i started slow acclimation from QT to DT by adding afew cups of DT into the QT tank. this morning, BAM the coral beauty starts showing signs of ich. i figured i contaminated all the tanks so i moved hte valentini to the DT and started treating with hyposalinity. all the rock in the DT is now in my 30g tank (which is fallow for another 7-8 weeks)

i left the butterfly in the QT because the last time i did hypo with a butterfly, he died a few days later; something about their liver's not functioning in hypo?

LukFox
02/26/2009, 11:37 PM
You probably bought two females accidentally. A pair should have been fine in a 30g. Just get the smallest little ocellaris you can find if you go for that option.

I read about your ich situation, but I forgot the butterfly is being treated separately (I don't know how butterflies handle hypo personally. I've never read about that). Because you're dealing with so much right now though, I wouldn't advise possibly adding more to your work load right now. I'd wait till things settle down.

MatthewLaw
02/26/2009, 11:41 PM
these clowns were getting along fine in the LFS tank so not sure; i thought the larger was female and smaller was male and presumably no issues. so needless to say, Sassy (larger perc) has been the only clown in the 50g tank where she got along with the damsel. i moved the damsel to the sump in fear she would pick on the puffer. Sickie (from a near death tank-crash) has been in the 30g.

ill closely watch the butterly in his QT and have cupramine on hand in case those infamous spots show up.

i think you are right that it may be best to wait for now. in a month or so, maybe a new friend for Sassy.

HOBrien
02/27/2009, 02:52 PM
Billsreef told me that Butterfly's can handle Hypo just like any other fish.

saltyguy51
02/27/2009, 05:02 PM
Matlaw, does your coral beauty eat well? I am thinking of getting one but i've read they can be tough to get eating