PDA

View Full Version : Best way to attach algae clip to MAG float?

Brandon M
02/27/2009, 11:09 AM
I want to attach 2 algae clips to my MAG float...would crazy glue be the best way to do this? If not, what would you suggest?

I do have some Weld On 16, would this better?

Thanks!

CJerome21
02/27/2009, 12:42 PM
I have see people use super glue or in some cases epoxy putty, I would just try what ever you have around so as to avoid buying something else.

Paul_PSU
02/27/2009, 12:43 PM
super glue will work fine. I used it to make a frag rack with mag floats and egg crate.

nyvp
02/27/2009, 01:54 PM
even better then the veggie clip is if you go to home depot in the paint section they sell tarp holders all I do is attach a fishing line and use the suction cup from the veggie holder and it works out so much better .

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/nyvp/CIMG1075_edited.jpg

You can see how it holds the nori much stronger that even my 12' naso couldnt pull it off. the added bonus is the suction cup i placed outside the tank so i never had to get wet changing the clip.

redfishsc
02/27/2009, 03:09 PM
Hmmm.... nyvp..... a 12' Naso.... is that a tang or a canoe!? ;)

BTW, for gluing the clip to the mag float, you can try super glue, but it might be pulled off easier than you'd want.

Personally I would use a good brand 2-part epoxy from Lowes. You don't need a "marine grade" unless you leave it submerged permanently.

Whatever glue you use, use a razor knife or some sandpaper (anything from 100 to 220 grit) to scuff up both pieces before you glue them. This gives the glue a "key" to hold onto.

jpa0741
02/27/2009, 06:05 PM
I have had mine super glued on my mag float for about 2 years now. No problems. I must say though I will be using nyvp idea. I am really trying to keep my hands out of the tank more.