PDA

View Full Version : Megaflow 4 sump

bdunn12
02/27/2009, 12:54 PM
I have a megaflow 4 sump, has dual overflows, each rated at 600gph. What is a good external pump I can use for this sump. I was looking at the Blueline 30 HD-X External Water Pump or a mag drive 9.5. I am going to use pvc for plumping instead of hoses. Please advise. I am really scratching my head on this one. Thanks.

Billy

bdunn12
02/27/2009, 04:48 PM
Bump,,,, Anyone.

I have a megaflow 4 sump, has dual overflows, each rated at 600gph. What is a good external pump I can use for this sump. I was looking at the Blueline 30 HD-X External Water Pump or a mag drive 9.5. I am going to use pvc for plumping instead of hoses. Please advise. I am really scratching my head on this one. Thanks.

Billy

THE ROOK
02/27/2009, 05:28 PM
This is a tough question for someone else to answer for you. You know your overflow volume (1200gph). Now you need to figure out your plumbing. By that I mean size of return pipes , length of pipe both vertical & horizontal & number of elbows.

Once you have that enter the info into the head loss calculator on the RC homepage ( lower left) & start playing with different pumps in your price range. Best to get close or above 1200gph after head loss & then throttle the pump back with a valve as needed.

Alaskan Reefer
02/27/2009, 07:16 PM
I use an Eheim 1262 in that sump and love it.

bdunn12
02/28/2009, 09:20 AM
Alaskan Reefer - Due you use pvc for your plumping?

The Rook - Thanks for the info, I will do that.

Alaskan Reefer
02/28/2009, 11:57 AM
I use spa-flex and vinyl tubing -- I don't have much plumbing and I like the sound of silence. If you're using PVC, a small section of vinyl tubing off the Eheim will cure the metric / standard version and provide some vibration control as well.

One thing I don't like about the Megaflow is the bio ball chamber, where due to the design you have to put something to prevent it from sounding like a waterfall. I have been using the minimum number of bio balls to keep it quiet for years, but will be using some spare starboard from my bare bottom conversion this weekend to cut a couple of diagonal baffles to hopefully take their place. Curious what you plan to do there as well -- keeping some or all of the bio balls or something else crafty to kill the waterfall?

ccorpse27
02/28/2009, 12:24 PM
I have a megaflow 4 but I would say that your pump depends on how much GPH your tank overflows into the sump. Just because the sump can take that much GPH doesn't mean it does - depends on other factors.