PDA

View Full Version : SPS slowly dying off

renisel
02/27/2009, 01:51 PM
The corals in my SPS tank were thriving up until a couple months ago. At that point, some started to fade, and polyp extension began to decrease. Then I started seeing STN on one coral after another--mostly acropora and to a lesser extent montiporas. Birdsnest, stylos, pocilloporas and hydnophora show little to no effects, while my psammocora has browned and receded slightly, but not died off like the acros and montis.

It's been baffling me, since all of my water parameters seemed to be right on (0-3 ppm NO3, 0 ppm PO4, 425 ppm Ca, 175 ppm CO3, 1300 ppm Mg, sg 1.026) and I have not been able to find any evidence of harmful parasites. Then, the other day, I decided to try testing the alk with a Seachem test kit instead of the Lamotte kit I usually use, and it showed the alkalinity to be around 125 ppm. I usually don't test pH because I figure it should be fine so long as the alkalinity is good, but it turned out to be peaking at around 7.8-7.9. So I'm figuring my Lamotte kit went bad or got contaminated somewhere along the way and has been giving me bad readings--but 125 ppm CO3 and a pH of 7.8 shouldn't be disastrous, should it?

I have also seen a green hair algae outbreak progress as these problems have developed. As the NO3 and PO4 levels have always been minimal, I figured that the algae was sucking up the excess nutrients before they could cause a problem, and have thus written that off as a potential cause of my main problem. Should I be more concerned about it than I am?

Since finding out that my alkalinity levels appeared to be low, I have increased my carbonate supplement to gradually bring the alkalinity back up and the pH has been staying in the 8.1-8.3 range for the last couple days. I haven't yet seen any noticeable change in polyp extension or coloration. If it was a pH/alk problem, how long should it take before I start to see some recovery? And is there anything else I should look for as possible causes of the problem? Thanks.

Dejavu
02/28/2009, 06:03 AM
Alk could be the problem, but many run it that low. I wouldn't run it any lower and at 7 dKh it doesn't give you much room for error. What are you measuring your PO4 with? Most test kits will read 0, while in fact your PO4 will be much high. Are you run GFO?

polywise
02/28/2009, 06:21 AM
how old are your lights?

renisel
02/28/2009, 02:37 PM
I'm now pretty sure that it's a phosphate problem after doing some more research on the topic. I was using a Seachem PO4 test, which shows a minimal distinction between 0 and .05 ppm. From what I've read, a PO4 level near .05 ppm could easily be a problem, so the test kit seems all but entirely useless for a reef tank. Does anybody have any recommendations for a better PO4 test kit? I was not running GFO because I was hoping my chaeto would keep the phosphates sufficiently low; but I'm ordering a phosban reactor right now.

Anemonebuff
02/28/2009, 02:57 PM
Get some GFO from Bulk Reef Supply. I do not have a reactor, I just run it near the return pump where it receives good flow. I would also check you dKH. Mine suffered a lot when my alk dropped.

Dejavu
02/28/2009, 03:15 PM
I prefer using a Hanna to measure PO4.