PDA

View Full Version : anemone clown combo for a 20L

mike fail
02/27/2009, 07:12 PM
i need an anemone that will do good in a 20 long and will host a clown

im running a 150watt metal halide so i think im good on lighting

i have about 750 gph total flow so i think im good there too.

any ideas i would like one i dont have to eventually remove because of size

$eaba$$
02/27/2009, 07:45 PM
for a tank this size all I would recommend is a bta. some might disagree, but I have kept numerous BTAs in a 20 tall, and each has done very well. eventually though, it may outgrow the tank, but that will take time..

mike fail
02/27/2009, 08:43 PM
cool i was hoping that was the case

skyrne_isk
02/27/2009, 10:26 PM
I have kept some perculas in a 20L sump....no problem really.

ocellaris123
02/27/2009, 10:39 PM
The two species of clowns you can keep for the entirety of their lives in a 20 gallon would be those of the percula complex. Both A. percula, and A. ocellaris. If I were too choose I would get the black variant of A. ocellaris but im biased toward them :). As for the anemone species the only one that would do well in a 20 gallon long term would be a bta. Some may disagree with this recommendation and say they need at least a 40 gallon. The reason for this is because water quality/stability is harder too maintain in a 20 gallon than a 40 gallon. If you are a seasoned reefer than it shouldnt really be a problem as i have kept bta in 20 gallons long term successfully but if you are new at the game than it could be difficult and anemone species may not be the best place too start. Can you tell us more about your set up? How long it has been set up, temp, salinity, nitrates, the kelvin of your hqi bulb, etc? The most important thing you can do is too research as much as possible and ask questions before you purchase any livestock which you are. Hope this helped

mike fail
02/27/2009, 10:46 PM
actually i have not got it cycling yet. im waiting for the guy im getting live rock to get back from who knows where, im asking so early because i was researching to see if i could do one at all.

my tank is a 20 long with a aqualight pendant with a 10,000k coralife bulb(will probably replace with a phoenix 14k at some point).
i will be running an ac110 diy refugium, a taam rio nano skimmer, and two koralia nano powerheads.

i have alot of freshwater experience(cichlids mostly), and limited reef experience this will be my second reef my first one was years ago( the hobby has changed dramatically since).

ocellaris123
02/27/2009, 10:52 PM
The 14K 150 watt phoenix is a very nice bulb. I have that over my 29 gallon which houses my black ocellaris pair and a gbta and rose anemone.

You sound like you are off too a nice start equipment wise. I am not familiar with the skimmer though. Be sure too cover those powerhead intakes as anemones tend to get sucked in/shredded in power heads.

mike fail
02/27/2009, 10:56 PM
ok thanks for the tip, the skimmer is a very new model, it has limited feedback but from what ive read it works pretty well, ive read its the best skimmer under $60, we'll see i guess.

RandomHero426
02/28/2009, 07:11 AM
I bought it and it is not worth it.....better to pay more than have to buy again when you don't like the outcome of the first skimmer.(talking about the taam rio skimmer)