PDA

View Full Version : Manifold Questions

wardworld
02/28/2009, 10:40 AM
Before I go about actually hooking up my manifold, I've got some questions:
If you look at the diagram below, you'll see how it's currently constructed. Those are 2" Ts that will feed into 1" gate valves to be used for other devices.

Question #1: If I want the return valve to be located as shown, does it matter what "side" of the manifold is "capped" off?
Question #2: If I wanted to make the return valve into a T, could I do that? In other words, the Dart would return water to a T, the top would be valved off w/ a gate valve and then the other "leg" of the T would send water to the other valves/devices. Can this work?
Thanks,
The pic:
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/wardworld_1/Aquarium/Fish%20Room/manifold_diagram.jpg

kcress
02/28/2009, 02:04 PM
1) It doesn't really matter as other more subtle things will probably have a bigger impact on flow.

2) Sure.

It would be best if the water never had to make a sudden right angle anywhere. Especially the water source to the manifold. The speed of the water's flow connected with the angles is what causes the most reduction in head.

Your fastest moving water is from the pump. So forcing that water to make a 90 degree bend will reduce the flow more than any other pathway. This is because they will all be flowing at a lesser rate. It is always better to feed a manifold from the end as then the fastest water is not making a sharp bend.

However you can certainly do it as you're planing it just means your pump's flow will be somewhat reduced from what it could be. A lot? We can't say as your other restrictions, all the valve settings, and devices you're feeding with the manifold may sum up to larger restrictions and a mere sharp 90 from the pump might not matter much.

wardworld
02/28/2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback...unfortunately, I will have a couple of 90s between the pump and the main return valve...I'm hoping the dart will provide more than enough flow...

One Dumm Hikk
02/28/2009, 03:26 PM
2 45'es is better than a 90 and you can get them in 2". Why limit your pump any more than you have to?