PDA

View Full Version : Shocking Heater

ellinas
02/28/2009, 12:11 PM
I picked up a brand new Rena Smart Heater 300W from my LFS about a month ago and I just realized that it has been sending electrical current through my tank. I noticed it a number of times before but it was only yesterday that I deduced that it was my heater. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem with this product? None of my livestock was harmed but whenever it was on and I put my hand in my tank it was like sticking my had in a socket! Needless to say my wife went nuts when I told her!

Patriot54
02/28/2009, 12:41 PM
This is a dumb question but, Does it hurt when you stick your hand in there?

ellinas
02/28/2009, 12:58 PM
I wouldnt say it hurts but rather like vibrates. Well I guess it hurts a little and I would say the feeling goes up to about just below the elbow. I definitely would not say that it feels good in any way.

oldsaltman
02/28/2009, 01:20 PM
If you are sure that it is the heater then I would remove it until I resolved the problem. Do you have anything to check for voltage in the tank? Does the heater appear to have been damaged in any way?

sasharotty
02/28/2009, 06:08 PM
You did verify it was the heater? Unplugged and no zap? I just had a sedra feed pump leak voltage, wow what a zap! I work with electrical every day and have been hit with 120v, but add saltwater to that.It doesnt feel good.:eek2:

ellinas
03/01/2009, 09:30 AM
yea so I was taking plugs out one by one and it was only after I took out the heater that the shock stopped. also I only noticed it some of the time, i think it had to do when the heater was on versus when the heater was off. so after I noticed it was the heater I removed it and havent felt it since. I went to my LFS and he changed w/o any problems. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but was curious if others have had this problem.

oldsalktman-i dont have a voltage reader...just my hand!