PDA

View Full Version : cycle

jtrasap
03/01/2009, 09:36 AM
The tank would have cycled on it's own with just the live rock. All you did with the shrimp is give it a bit of a jump start. Give it time, and it will cycle. The waiting game is the part I hate about setting up a tank. I'm ready at the start to get things going but have to wait what seems like an eternity for the tank to cycle. Just test it twice a week or so for ammonia nitrite and nitrate and when all of them are down to zero your ready. You'll probably get an algae bloom towards the end of the cycle. That's a good sign that your reaching the end. Once it's over you'll need to get a clean up crew.

xpectnomercy
03/01/2009, 10:05 AM
I have a 55 gallon no sump/refugium. 2 canister filters,sea clone 150 skimmer,rena smart heater 200x and two hydro k power heads. 50 lbs of cured live rock and 10 lbs of dead live rock. 80 lbs of sand not live. 1 panther groper about 5 to 6 inches big. Tank has been up since jan 31st but added the fist 2/10. My question is i haven't noticed any real signs of cycling as stated above ammonia has only risen to .25 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is at 20,PH is at 8.2 . Sandbed is starting to turn brown along with the rock. i've had about 10 hermit crabs. Should i wait a few more weeks before adding anything or do you feel the tank cycled without a large ammonia spike? i test the water every 2 days.

By the way the panther grouper will be going back to the LFS once cycle is complete and yes i know don't ever ever ever cycle with a fish i'll remember that part for the next tank. Thanx.