PDA

View Full Version : My Turocky is dieing?

jfingers8
03/01/2009, 03:39 PM
hi everyone i have a 90 gallon half sps half lps and some softies. i started to notice that alot of tissue is starting to die off on my turocky. The die off is basically a little on the bottom but basically is the middle of the coral. I know my alk is high and im trying to work on lowering it my alk is 13.5 right now. Is that most likely the cause of the die off and if i do a water change with that help lower the alk?

dwd5813
03/01/2009, 03:53 PM
what's a turocky?

plyle02
03/01/2009, 03:58 PM
I am thinking Turaki....? One of the tougher SPS to keep, so with alk indicated as not being stable, not much of a surprise... List your total params, husbandry, equipment, and maintenance, it may help, sounds like the coral is RTN or STN'n, probably not much time left before this coral is gonzo.....GL

jfingers8
03/01/2009, 03:59 PM
yea that might be how you spell it i have had it for a long time and it has grown a ton. cal 400 alk like i said 13.5 mag 1250 ammomia nitrate 0 ph 8.1. I do 25% water change every 2 weeks. For flow i have 2 koralia 3's. Have a fuge in my 20 gallon sump and have a skimmer now sure which kind rated for a 175 gallon tank it works really well i ain't worried about that. I stay on top of my tanks all the time. I was just guessing that the high alk would be the cause of the die off. If i did a water change would it lower the alk?

plyle02
03/01/2009, 06:12 PM
If the alk is going in lower than the tank water.....yes...I would stop the alk part of dosing, or cut back on whatever you are dosing for alk and let it come down through absorption...BTW, lack of stability would be my guess, that or high levels of PO4..Just a shot in the dark, tested params, and tank pics would do a world of good for trouble shooting...GL