PDA

View Full Version : diatoms

mr. clown man
03/01/2009, 06:24 PM
what is the best way to get rid of this, i dont have much of it and my parameters are perfect, i do weekly water changes. this tank has been up and running for 6 months.

thanks

ssavader
03/01/2009, 08:23 PM
Can be a really tough issue to address but in doing a lot of reading, here is what is written: 1) reduce nitrates with water changes and phosphates with adsorbing agents, like Phosguard or Iron-based agents; 2) increase circulation, especially near the bottom with pumps; 3) increase sand bed depth to 4" minimum to create an anerobic layer in the sand that will break down nitrates; and 4) decrease potential nitrate sources going into the tank by optimizing feedings, removing any uneaten foods, and removing any dead or dying organisms.
Good Luck

Premiumaq
03/01/2009, 09:23 PM
Before you go all out on filtration, examine your setup. Concentrations of diatoms are usually due to some hitch in your cycle. A sudden diatom bloom could just indicate a spike in ammonia which processes through the nitrogen cycle and feeds the algae. A longer standing bloom would definitely indicate the need to clear the water of phosphates and dissolved organics.