PDA

View Full Version : Basic Frag Tank Recommendations

Stray32
03/01/2009, 06:43 PM
I want to convert an extra 10 gallon I have into a very basic frag tank. I have fragged my zoas and plan to frag my SPS, and I want them out of my display if possible. Here's the plan, please provide feedback if there is anything else you would recommend.

1. Bare bottom with egg crate/pvc rack on bottom.

2. Four 50/50 mini compact flourescents - maybe not enough for SPS, but should be enough for zoas right?

3. One powerhead, not sure which yet.

4. Basic heater

Will I need filtration or skimmer on this since I won't have any fish and my bioload will be minimal? Anything else you guys would recommend?

Thanks.

kraze3
03/01/2009, 07:21 PM
Is there anyway to plumb it into your system. That would be the easiest way. Keeps all parameters the same etc. Your going to have to keep up with params and you may have to acclimate corals to your frag tank if they are off.

THE ROOK
03/01/2009, 07:34 PM
Was thinking about this too as I have a few smaller tanks. I can't plumb into my system.

Would taking 5 gallons from the display during the weekly water changes & using that to do a weekly water change work on the frag tank ?

jlt23
03/01/2009, 08:21 PM
Check out Nugz(sp?) 10G frag tank in the Nano Forum. He has a heater, 3 power heads, an AC110 (I think) with LR, and a MH over it.