PDA

View Full Version : Help: Seachem vs. API KH Test

lubyone1
03/01/2009, 07:53 PM
I have both tests and I get 3.5 meq/l or 10ish KH from my Seachem test kit (has always read about 3 pts higher) and I get a KH of 7 from my API test kit. Can anyone help explain why there is such a large difference?

Ideally we should be running a KH of around 8 on our reef tanks correct?

Nereaga
03/01/2009, 07:56 PM
I have been using Seachem tests and they are pretty accurate, IMO. I have used Salifert and get similiar results.

Have you check the Seachem kit with the reference vile they give you to make sure it is still accurate?

Brad

astar250
03/01/2009, 08:13 PM
I had the API tests and they where way off from what Seachem and Salifert said so i went with the Salifert and have not had any problems. I was told that the API was broad range test and will not give detailed results. I want detail results just my 2cent

lubyone1
03/01/2009, 08:23 PM
I thought I had read that as well. I'll order a salifert test tonight as I have been very pleased with their calcium test.

Thanks for the input!

Peter Eichler
03/01/2009, 08:50 PM
Just to throw a wrench into things... I've had two bad Salifert alkalinity test kits now and am the pround owner of 3 salifert kits that all read totally different. Their quality control seems a little iffy... I've personally had a Salifert read 3 dKH higher than an API kit and the Salifert is the one that was wrong. I use API and trust them, and have had consistent results from them and similar test kits for years. In fact API, Elos, Hagen, Tetra, and a few other companies use basically the same reagent, API is just the cheapest.

CeeGee
03/01/2009, 09:26 PM
Salifert used to be really good. This is not the case anymore. That being said I am replacing my old (supposedly accurate) Salifert kits with LaMotte. The reading I have gotten from the LaMotte are extremely close to what the Saliferts gave me. I also currently use a SeaChem calcium kit and it too seems accurate. Will replace it with LaMotte when the time comes.

I am liking the LaMotte because of the high quality case they come in and the ability to simply order new reagents instead of having to replace entire kit. Much cheaper. I have also always heard that their kits are some of the most accurate.

lubyone1
03/01/2009, 10:49 PM
LaMotte definitely looks like the way to go. I didn't realize any company sold "refills." Will end up being cheaper in the long run.

Thanks for the inputs fellas

Jenisiz
03/02/2009, 01:13 AM
I use API...yeah I know, folks say they're not rock solid...but I've found them to be more accurate at times then the $34 dollar a single type of test kit...

BuddhaKiss
03/02/2009, 03:15 AM
I'm sorry but how do u guys determine the reliability of a test kit? Say u have 3 different brands and 2 had similar readings, while the 3rd had a different reading. Do u automatically assume the 3rd kit was wrong since it had a different reading? What if that kit was right and the other 2 were wrong? Or maybe the kit expired, and what was thought to be an unreliable kit was simply an expired test kit. Btw I use API and that's all I've ever used....