PDA

View Full Version : ID - I've never seen before

TheMcs
03/02/2009, 08:13 AM
Here's something I found in my tank a while back. I've never seen anything like it in an aquarium before. It would walk around on the rocks until it got caught in the current and land somewhere else. I was only able to get this one photo. I haven't seen it since. Any ideas?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/gmccourt/tank%20build/014.jpg

Rendos
03/02/2009, 09:14 AM
From that picture...it looks like a Sally Lightfoot crab. Need a better picture.

tampa-reefer
03/02/2009, 09:50 AM
Water spider

phenom5
03/02/2009, 10:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14516642#post14516642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tampa-reefer
Water spider

That's what i would say, some sort of sea spider, but it's hard to say from the pic. Can be bad for corals, and those things, in general, freak me the eff out. :eek:

TheMcs
03/02/2009, 10:16 AM
Alright, I decided to have a little fun.

That's actually a wolf spider. It dropped into the prop tank out in the garage. As I was trying to fish it out, it went down the drain, into the sump, through the Hammerhead and into the DT. Once in the DT it grabbed ahold of the LR and crawled around for a good 5-10 minutes. After the fascination wore off I decided to get it out. Once again I chased it into the overflow. I couldn't find it anywhere in the system so I gave up. The next day I spotted it back in the prop tank, clinging to the silicone above the water line. I got it out at that point and placed it in a nice spot in the garden. I'm amazed at how long it was capable of being underwater, through all the plumbing and pump, and come out alive.

Here's a Wiki picture of a high & dry wolf spider;
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/Wolfspider_okla_arial_front.JPG/800px-

phenom5
03/02/2009, 10:20 AM
LOL...that's funny.

That little guy is a survivor, and he's got some crazy stories to tell all his spider buddies.

**Edit** And Sea Spiders still freak me the eff out.

kidako
03/02/2009, 12:35 PM
LOL x2

* what type of dog do you have ?Is it a Dane or Dob

TheMcs
03/02/2009, 02:07 PM
We *had* a Dane. Lost her a couple years ago to a heart attack that followed an emergency bloat operation. We're planning on getting a couple more when the time is right, great dogs.