PDA

View Full Version : Help with filtration

psilentchild
03/02/2009, 05:26 PM
I have a 430 gallon tank with a 150 gallon sump. I have 2 pvc pipe for my overflow that runs into a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of fitler pads and the bucket has holes in it that sits on aother bucket turned upside down in my sump. So basically water comes out of my pvc pipes into the bucket threw the filters then back into the sump. O yeah I also have a canister filter in there too. My girlfriend says the running water is knda of noisy. Is there anything I can do to make this queit? Or can someone tell me a better way to run my filtration. I can't do anything about the two pvc pipes coming out of the tank.Since this is a large tank forum I figure I could get help here.I would also like to know how some of yall with large tank filtration is run if its queit.

psilentchild
03/05/2009, 06:11 AM
My main concercn is the splash of the water. I'm thinking maybe if I raise the water level in the sump that may help

rxinc
03/05/2009, 08:32 AM
I have a 100 gal. trough type sump with a " holey" 5gal bucket resting on some live rock, a bucket on top of a bucket seems a little high and raising sump waterlevel too much might cause an overflow when all pumps are off.

A different approach would be to extend the pvc pipe that runs into your filter bucket so that it's end is under water. - might need to raise sump level - but less than original plan.

See what that does.

If the bubbles make too loud of noise, could put a "T" on the end w/ one end pointing up to all air to escape and the other end going down under the bucket water level.

Still should be quieter than now.

psilentchild
03/05/2009, 09:02 AM
The water coming out of the pvc pipes are not the problem. The problem is with the water coming out of the bucket back into the sump. So maybe if I lower the bucket and raise the water level like you said that would be better than just raising the water level.