PDA

View Full Version : Birdsnest bleached? shedding? what's going on.

SolarEclipse
03/02/2009, 05:49 PM
Hi everyone, just recently got a pink birdsnest at least I think it is, something like that, acclimated it, dipped it. Woke up today and it looked like some of its skin was falling off. What's going on? Did I do the iodine dip too long? I did what the bottle said 10-15 minutes, I always do it for that long. Here are my parameters:
pH: 7.9 ( little low, working on getting higher)
nitrite:0
ammonia:0
nitrate:0
salinity: 1.024-1.025
dKh:10
Calcium:400

Oh yeah, it is 14 gallons, 150 watts, 14k Current sunpod.
I think that should be it, and here is a picture, sorry for the horrible quality, I took it with my phone since I don't have a digital camera, but the brown is the skin that was the coral's skin, the white is the skeleton I guess, is it being bleached?:

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo223/Cheese889/IMG00129-20090302-1513.jpg

MotorCityBadBoy
03/02/2009, 06:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck... My water is similar to yours...calcium is at 430...How about water flow. I have mine right under the light (MH) for about 8 hrs a day. I dont dip my coral in iodine though. The guy in the pet store told me that he was having problems with his purpe birds nest(which i bought two day ago)...looks fine to me..I give it high light, high flow, 78 degrees...thats about it... Hard to really say...Water changes maybe??? Good luck http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/5151/208490birdsnest.jpg

SolarEclipse
03/02/2009, 06:52 PM
The polyps on mine are starting to come off too, yours looks very healthy. Mine has high flow too.

oldreefer76
03/02/2009, 07:00 PM
That is not bleaching it is RTN,pretty much looks like a gonner

jbird69
03/02/2009, 07:00 PM
My birdsnests seem to do better down low and out of the higher flow. They are very vulnerable light acclimation. I would move it down in the tank. If the flesh keeps receeding, your gonna have to frag off the living limbs and try to salvage the coral with frags, otherwise, youll lose the whole thing. This worked very well for me on two birdsnests and a digi that had rtn. I cut off the living branches and discarded the rest. They are now thriving.
Also, these corals are intollerant of phosphates. I didnt see a PO4 reading in the OP.

SolarEclipse
03/02/2009, 07:31 PM
I don't have a phosphate test, but last time my LFS tested it, it was nearly undetectable, that was a couple months ago. I just snapped off two of some tiny 1/4" branches off of it. They didn't look infected yet. I can only hope for the best now, thank you for all of your help, all of you.

JENnKerry
03/06/2009, 10:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14520342#post14520342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jbird69
My birdsnests seem to do better down low and out of the higher flow. They are very vulnerable light acclimation. I would move it down in the tank. If the flesh keeps receeding, your gonna have to frag off the living limbs and try to salvage the coral with frags, otherwise, youll lose the whole thing. This worked very well for me on two birdsnests and a digi that had rtn. I cut off the living branches and discarded the rest. They are now thriving.
Also, these corals are intollerant of phosphates. I didnt see a PO4 reading in the OP.

This is what happened to us on several occasions. I agree to break off the branches that arent affected.

ant1k
03/07/2009, 09:15 PM
Sorry newb question, but what is RTN?

bogg
03/07/2009, 09:42 PM
Rapid tissue nucrosis = rtn where the coral is rapidly loosing tissue.
or stn = slow tissue nucrosis where the tissue is slowly loosing tissue.

scott11
03/12/2009, 05:07 PM
i have a birdsnest that is acting strange. It is growing more outward than up, so from above the light hits the sides on the branches. I have had it almost a year, with no problems. Did a WC this week, and some corals have gained some color, so I dont think the WC was bad.

It looks like something scraped along the tops down to the skeleton. No tissue falling off, the rest of the coral still has polyps out. The tips are fine, and does not look like any RTN or STN i have ever seen.

Any ideas?