PDA

View Full Version : SPS Coral Scaping: How do you do it?

douglam
03/02/2009, 08:08 PM
So ive been staring at my tank all day thinking this should go here and this should go here. Or maybe not. Its driving me nuts because i just want it to be perfect. My biggest problem is i some unknown SPS so im not sure how they are going to grow, Table, encrusting them branching, growing in a ball sort of. Does everyone think about they are placing the coral or do you just kinda stick them on there and see what happens. I mean clearly the stags and torts i need to put in places where they have room to grow up and branch out. also are there ways to get corals to grow in specific ways. like a millepora, if you stick it sideways off a rock will it tend to "Table" vs grow in a ball?

ludnix
03/02/2009, 08:48 PM
Mine are just puttied in place so I can always move them depending on their growth pattern.

Marsfrogie
03/02/2009, 08:58 PM
What do you use to "putty" them in place?

douglam
03/02/2009, 09:54 PM
aquqmend from HD works. any other techniques for getting it right the first time?

crvz
03/03/2009, 06:52 AM
Every species of coral is going to have a standard growth pattern/shape that would not be affected by just placement, however lighting location and flow patterns can have an affect on it. I, like many of others I'm sure, started by simply cramming frags all over the place, and now I wish I'd left more room around most of the coral in my tank. If you know the patterns of the coral you have, I'd take into consideration long term growth, not just filling empty space on the rock.