PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Q&A Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

mojo~
10/25/2011, 07:39 PM
Hi , reefers :)

I'm building a 154 g sps/acro dominated system with an 30 G sump .
And i am in the stage that i'm thinking about what skimmer to use.
I'm gonna use (like i do now) biopellets (=carbon dosing) , no refuge or LR in the sump.

I can't seem to make up my mind , and i'm left with 3 options :

option 1 :
http://www.aquareus.nl/powercone-200i-p-1578.html

the most economic one :) , but i like the adjustable pump

option 2 :
http://www.aquareus.nl/pyro-true-cone-200-p-1807.html

never heard of them before , but it seems well manufactored and doesn't take so much place in sump then option 1

option 3:
http://www.aquareus.nl/alpha-200-p-1690.html

this is the most expensive ( about 900 € or 1200 $) , but i know from experience that the pump doesn't make much noise (almost complete quit).
one thing also caught my eye on this model , the very wide neck ?? --> is this a pro or a con ?

experiences are much appreciated :)

greetingzz tntneon :)

well there have been a ton of issues around the powercone, The skimz eden pumps are not proven and unless you get the 5000 pumps the others are a little noisey. and yes the neck is a bit large. What about hte bk mini 180 gen 2, the atb 1050A or even the atb 840v2 would work well.

mojo~
10/25/2011, 07:49 PM
What do you think of the cheap ebay skimmer? The SC150? I read another thread and it seemed like a good value. If not that skimmer what is the best value for a 75g

I had one of these and although it is super cheap and a great entry level skimmer the atman 2000 pump does not cycle very much water at all. if you are on a super tight budget then ok, but I would consider the oct nw 110 over the sc150. it will cylce more water than the atman 2000 and pulls about the same air.

mojo~
10/25/2011, 07:54 PM
i've got my sro 2000int. the foam r really wet. any wait to get it dry?

my tank is now just filled up with live rocks. nothing more. the bubbles can only reach the half neck otherwise it overflows.

it sits at a depth of 6.5 inches.

you dont really have anyhting to skim yet but give it time and adjust the valve so the water level is slightly lower. You can run it at 6 inches as well if you have too. you will have to give it time.

rownsurf
10/25/2011, 09:05 PM
The first one that pops to mind is the avast CS1 cone with the psk 1000 pump. This would work on both. The sea side aquatics cs2 would do well too. But a little large for the 75. yet another option would be the JNS sk2 and the sro 2000. The thing is all these use the same pump except the sro uses the bubble blaster all will do a fine job.

Mojo~

Thanks Mojo...I will looks into those 4 to get an idea on how skimmers have changed since my Euroreef. I'm sure I'll have some more questions!

Justin

Jvak
10/25/2011, 09:16 PM
Mojo, I recently got a SRO 3000 INT Skimmer for my 150 Gallon DT with 55 Gallon Sump/Refugium. The tank has been running for quite a while and the last skimmer I had was always pulling gunk out. How long of a break in period will this new skimmer have? At times it seems to be working perfect and then the bubble level will drop significantly and not pull anything. Do i just keep the drain cup open and sit tight for a while?

Todd100
10/26/2011, 12:32 AM
Does the outflow pipe need to be above the sump water height to prevent back pressure? Also, what would be the ideal amount of bubbles in a skimmer body(air bubbles vs. water level)?

tntneon
10/26/2011, 01:14 AM
well there have been a ton of issues around the powercone, The skimz eden pumps are not proven and unless you get the 5000 pumps the others are a little noisey. and yes the neck is a bit large. What about hte bk mini 180 gen 2, the atb 1050A or even the atb 840v2 would work well.
Thx Mojo :),
Bk has crossed my mind too , gonna look at your suggestions , THX

armison89
10/26/2011, 05:39 AM
what would be the top 3 best skimmers for a FOWLR system thats aroud 400 gallons. i would like the best skimmer at a desent price.

biom
10/26/2011, 08:14 AM
What should be the minimum water flow through gravity feed DELTEC APF 600?

mojo~
10/26/2011, 01:24 PM
Mojo, I recently got a SRO 3000 INT Skimmer for my 150 Gallon DT with 55 Gallon Sump/Refugium. The tank has been running for quite a while and the last skimmer I had was always pulling gunk out. How long of a break in period will this new skimmer have? At times it seems to be working perfect and then the bubble level will drop significantly and not pull anything. Do i just keep the drain cup open and sit tight for a while?

Give itsome time to slime up on the insideand it will becomemore stable. When this happends you can really dial it in.

mojo~
10/26/2011, 01:39 PM
Does the outflow pipe need to be above the sump water height to prevent back pressure? Also, what would be the ideal amount of bubbles in a skimmer body(air bubbles vs. water level)?

No just dont have the 90 degree elbow going back down. If it just comes out the T and is under water it will be ok.

mojo~
10/26/2011, 01:43 PM
what would be the top 3 best skimmers for a FOWLR system thats aroud 400 gallons. i would like the best skimmer at a desent price.

FOr a fowlr with ath range check out the Vertex in 280. the OCto xs 300 is another good choice. find you a old asm g4x and call it a day.

mojo~
10/26/2011, 01:47 PM
What should be the minimum water flow through gravity feed DELTEC APF 600?

I would run at least 1.5x the system volume. so around 150gph on a 100g. tank.

A good pump for that skimmer though would be a maxi jet600.

biom
10/26/2011, 02:16 PM
thank you Mojo~ was very helpful, the system volume is exactly 100g :)

Todd100
10/27/2011, 12:13 AM
I just set up an ATB Mikro last week and don't like the pump on it due to noise and performance. It's a Sicce Syncra SK 400 that ATB said is pulling 300 liters of air. I don't know the water amount it's pushing with the air going. The pump sticker says its a 478 gph max pump. The neck of the skimmer is 3.75 inches wide. The skimmer has to be full of water past the collection cup bottom, or even higher to pull skimmate. I'm unhappy with the noise of the air silencer and could use a DIY suggestion. 300 liter of air isn't much in this skimmer, and I'm not real sure it's even doing an honest 300 since the foam cushion is less than an inch. After reading the forums that mention the Mikro I found out the pump used to be an Eheim 1250 or 1260...don't remember the exact model number. Victor said 700 liters was causing microbubbles but skimming great. He later said 500 wasn't causing micro bubbles but 700 would perform better if microbubbles weren't concerning. The Red Dragon pump for the BK 160 looks like what I want with very low noise and 600 liters of air. What would be some pros and cons vs the Bubble Blaster 1000 or any other pump that deserves mention?

mojo~
10/27/2011, 07:13 AM
the 1000 would be a good pump on it. This is one atb skimmer I havent had personally. But I agree that if the id of the neck is that large then you would need more air than 300. I would call victor if you are not pleased. I am sure he would even take the skimmer back if you truly were not happy.

How long has it been running.

rogergolf66
10/27/2011, 07:55 AM
Ok my skimmer is just to loud. Running I think a nw-200 ok well I am running sps tank bare bottom with bio pellets so need a good skimmer. Only 65 gallons of total water. What is a quiet vefficient skimmer thatsa good value?

Roger

rogergolf66
10/27/2011, 10:26 AM
How is the eshopps?

mojo~
10/27/2011, 01:09 PM
well the nw 200 is large for that setup.

the SRO 1000 would be good. The sea side aquatics cs1 would work great and is very quiet. even hasa foam pad the pump sets on to eliminate any him from the pump.

Todd100
10/27/2011, 01:51 PM
I've had the Mikro running for 7-10 days skimming wet.

sarget
10/27/2011, 08:14 PM
Mojo
Hope your surgery went well today and you heal up fast.

I am putting together a new 65 gallon display tank with 30 gallon sump and 20 gallon refugium. I am planning on a medium stocked reef tank with LPS coral. I have more than enough sump area for any of the sumps I am looking at and the water remains constant at 8.5" ( I can raise skimmer if required). I am looking at skimmers for the tank and I wanted to get your thoughts.

The skimmer I am looking at are as follows
1) Avast Marine CS-1 (Sicce PSK-1000) - Like the DIY idea
2) Reef Octopus SRO-1000 (Bubble Blaster HY1000)
3) Sea Side Aquatics CS1 (Sicce PSK-600)
4) Any of your thoughts

I am looking for a good skimmer, easy to maintain and hopefully fairly quite.
Thanks for your time.

mojo~
10/27/2011, 08:36 PM
The avast is nice but I think it would be on the large size. if you were going to upgrade then maybe go that route. I think the seaside will do great as it is pretty quiet. even has a foam pad under the pump to quiet it down even more. and the sro 1000 int will do just fine too.

All are great in there own right but I would go sea side cs1 first then the sro 1000 then the avast. And that is just for your setup. The avast uses the psk 1000 pump and hasa larger neck. I would say a heavy 75g would be the smallest tank for the avast unit.

Hope that is helpful

Mojo~

sarget
10/27/2011, 08:44 PM
Mojo

Thanks for narrowing it down for me. How would the Reef octopus XS-160 compare to the SSA CS1? Both use the same pump.

schoi
10/27/2011, 09:14 PM
I have a RO XS160 and I can't get it skimming. I have been running it for close to 7 weeks and the only thing I get is a dirty neck. I have it sitting in about 8.5" of water as suggested by the RO site. Any ideas?

mojo~
10/28/2011, 06:14 AM
what size tank is it on and how old is the tank. its a nice skimmer. it can be run alittle deeper if need be as well but sounds like there isnt enough waste in the system for it to build a large foam head. Typical of a newer system or too large of a skimmer for the system. And like I said there may just not be the load there to builda larger foam head.

Mojo~

mojo~
10/28/2011, 06:17 AM
Mojo

Thanks for narrowing it down for me. How would the Reef octopus XS-160 compare to the SSA CS1? Both use the same pump.

yea the SSA cs1 would be a little more quiet as the pump is inside the body and is mounted on a foam pad. The octo xs 160 would be better for a deeper sump. I think you would like the ssa cs1 a bit better. It just depends on your sump level and overall system size.

rogergolf66
10/28/2011, 07:51 AM
Anyone know anything about the eshopps skimmers? The one rated for 125 gallon system is the one my lfs has for $240

mojo~
10/28/2011, 09:23 AM
well the have the psk 100 rated at 100g and the psk 150 rated at 150g.

they are over rated for sure. They are a cheaper entry level skimmer that has a good price margain for retail businesses to make some profit.

They are not bad. But there are better options.

rogergolf66
10/28/2011, 09:59 AM
Any info on the eshopps? I can pick one up at lfs for $240?

mojo~
10/28/2011, 11:11 AM
I just posted above on them

rogergolf66
10/28/2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks sorry didn't see it. Well I'm tring to quiet down my skimmer. What about changing pumps to a senta 9000. Body is 8in round 2 feet tall currently running the oct 3000.

How about performance and noice?

rogergolf66
10/28/2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks sorry didn't see it. Well I'm tring to quiet down my skimmer. What about changing pumps to a senta 9000. Body is 8in round 2 feet tall currently running the oct 3000.

How about performance and noice?

schoi
10/28/2011, 02:09 PM
what size tank is it on and how old is the tank. its a nice skimmer. it can be run alittle deeper if need be as well but sounds like there isnt enough waste in the system for it to build a large foam head. Typical of a newer system or too large of a skimmer for the system. And like I said there may just not be the load there to builda larger foam head.

Mojo~

Hello mojo, I think you were answering my question but I'm not sure.

MY tank is a 75g w/ 20g sump. The tank has been running for 7 weeks and I have been feeding pretty heavily. I have 2 small clowns, chromis and a small 6line.

rogergolf66
10/28/2011, 03:54 PM
well the have the psk 100 rated at 100g and the psk 150 rated at 150g.

they are over rated for sure. They are a cheaper entry level skimmer that has a good price margain for retail businesses to make some profit.

They are not bad. But there are better options.

I went with the eshopps 150 I got to see both the sro1000 and the eshopps 150 about same price but I liked the eshopps was full cone and pump was built in. I hope I endup liking it.

Roger

mojo~
10/28/2011, 04:43 PM
Hello mojo, I think you were answering my question but I'm not sure.

MY tank is a 75g w/ 20g sump. The tank has been running for 7 weeks and I have been feeding pretty heavily. I have 2 small clowns, chromis and a small 6line.

Yea, give the tank some time. You have a pretty light load in there. How deep is the skimmer ?

titmouse
10/30/2011, 11:00 PM
Great thread Mojo!

I've read back about 50 pages and figured I have enough of a different setup to ask for help.

System: ~300g tv mixed reef. More sps now. Biopellets and GFO. 5 anthias, 2 tangs, 3 wrasses, and a few others. I plan to add more fish soon.

Due to space, I've run an older Tunze skimmer for years, but am about to completely rebuild the sump.

Skimmers I'm looking at:
AM300
AM Cone 2
ASM G4
Bubble Magus Nac9
Something else?

Thx for your advice.

username in use
10/31/2011, 06:36 AM
I have a Vertex IN80 protein skimmer. A while ago it started overflowing for no apparent reason. Tried all sorts of things from water level to cleaning everything to every air/water combo that I could come up with and nothing worked. The only thing that would keep it from overflowing is blowing into the air tube hard.

Blocked air right? broke it down checked and cleaned all the air paths.

Then I noticed that when I pulled the pump apart the pinwheel didn't really spin freely on the shaft when holding it in my hands. It would spin, but only one or two revolutions not just free spinning like when I got it.

I tried everything to scrub it and clean it, to no avail. Ordered 2 more pinwheel assemblies. Put on in and the skimmer works perfectly. I mean perfectly.

Flash forward 2 months. Skimmer starts overflowing, same thing all over again. The pinwheel isn't spinning freely. I pull out the old one and it is still binding even after thorough cleaning and a 2 month dry time. There are no visible swells on the magnet, there are not chips or rough spots on the shaft, there is nothing that should visibly be binding, it just looks like the clearance between the shaft and the hole through the magnet is gone, like it shrank down to the size of the shaft.

Any thoughts?

mojo~
10/31/2011, 08:19 AM
The old compound of shaft would swell over time. If you are having trouble with that get one for the sedra 3500. the sedra 3500 rebuild for the asm skimmers have been better replacements. The pumps is nothing more than a eco 633 as well. what version is your skimmer? gen 1,2,or 3?

mojo~
10/31/2011, 08:31 AM
Great thread Mojo!

I've read back about 50 pages and figured I have enough of a different setup to ask for help.

System: ~300g tv mixed reef. More sps now. Biopellets and GFO. 5 anthias, 2 tangs, 3 wrasses, and a few others. I plan to add more fish soon.

Due to space, I've run an older Tunze skimmer for years, but am about to completely rebuild the sump.

Skimmers I'm looking at:
AM300
AM Cone 2
ASM G4
Bubble Magus Nac9
Something else?

Thx for your advice.

the am 300 uses the psk 2500 pump. Not bad but there are better options.
the am cone 2 is good but not large enough for your volume. The asm g4 would handle the volume as well as the nac9.

THe am cone 3 would do great, the Sro 3000xp, the am 350, the octo xs 250, and even the hurricone cat 2.

username in use
10/31/2011, 08:48 AM
I believe its a gen 1, but Ive gone through 3 of the new gen pinwheel assemblies now. Should it swell within a matter of weeks?

mojo~
10/31/2011, 09:20 AM
i had one swell overnight !
I would replace the whole internal assembly, not just the shaft or magnet but everthing. Or just replace the pump with a psk 600 or tunze hydrofoamer 9410

mojo~
10/31/2011, 09:21 AM
This should be the model that will fit if I am not mistaken.

http://www.aquacave.com/impeller-assemblies-for-sedra-brksp-needle-wheel-water-pumps-1787.html

reef rider
10/31/2011, 11:04 AM
Hey Mojo, I'm in the process of a 65 gal, 50 gal sump/refugium build. What skimmer would you recommend? Mixed reef, moderate bio-load. Best bang for the buck, with ease of control and maintenance. I'm thinking total water volume 85-95 gal. I'm also running a 30 gal mixed reef at the moment, using a Aqua Remora C HOB skimmer. About 3 years now. I've read, in other threads, about modifying this skimmer to produce a drier skimmate, but the mods aren't explained. What are your opinions on this skimmer and would you have any ideas to mod this skimmer? Thanks, Tony

jedimaster1138
10/31/2011, 01:09 PM
I'm in a little bit of skimmer info overload, hoping for some advice. Seems like a lot of the posts here are for skimmers in larger tanks, so I'm going with a direct question.

30g display, 12g sump
CS90 overflow and an Eheim 1260 return.

I plan on sticking to FOWLR for a while...probably till spring, though then I'd like to get into some of the easier corals once things have settled down and my fish and inverts are happy.

Just need to choose an in sump skimmer. There's just... so... many... options... my head is spinning a little and a huge range of prices too. I don't have a major problem spending $ if it's for a good skimmer, especially a reliable and quiet one. My set up is off my living room, in an apartment, so if it sounds like a jet turbine it's less than ideal.

I have at least 12x12 of space in the main section of the sump, IIRC, and close to 30" of vertical clearance, Clarence.

TIA

rogergolf66
10/31/2011, 01:14 PM
Ok just bought a eshopps 200 with the aquabee pump. This is goin on a 65 gal sps dom tank with med fish load. waiting for it to arrive hope it comes soon!!! I will let u know an update in a few weeks.

Roger

jeremy K
10/31/2011, 01:31 PM
Hi. I currently run a SWC xtreme 160 (the old skimmer with the sicce 2500 pump, not the new cone), with the red demon pinwheel. This is for my very heavily-stocked 90g with 30g sump. It skims great, and I have been happy with the performance. But I hate the noise. I am looking for a skimmer that will perform as well (or better), but does not have any audible noise.

I've heard great things about the SWC 160 cone (most people say it is silent), but the air pull (ie. performance) is much less than my current skimmer.

I can't afford the very high-end skimmers with the red dragon/askoll pumps.

I know the SRO xp 2000 would be an excellent fit for my system, but I've heard that these can be as noisy as the sicce pumps (or almost so).

Sorry for the rant. What do you recommend?

Edit: one other important bit of info - space very tight - looking for something with a fairly similar footprint as my current swc 160 or thereabouts.

mojo~
10/31/2011, 01:35 PM
Hey Mojo, I'm in the process of a 65 gal, 50 gal sump/refugium build. What skimmer would you recommend? Mixed reef, moderate bio-load. Best bang for the buck, with ease of control and maintenance. I'm thinking total water volume 85-95 gal. I'm also running a 30 gal mixed reef at the moment, using a Aqua Remora C HOB skimmer. About 3 years now. I've read, in other threads, about modifying this skimmer to produce a drier skimmate, but the mods aren't explained. What are your opinions on this skimmer and would you have any ideas to mod this skimmer? Thanks, Tony

well if you can do in sump the Sea side aquatics cs1 would be good, the Sro 1000 in and the octo xs 160. If you are on a budget look for a used asm g2, euro reef 5-2 or 3/ rs 80/100 or reefdynamics. They are all good as well if you can find an older used one.

all much better than the remora, If you need hang on the back go with the Aquamaxx h1 or the sro 1000hob unit.

mojo~
10/31/2011, 01:58 PM
I'm in a little bit of skimmer info overload, hoping for some advice. Seems like a lot of the posts here are for skimmers in larger tanks, so I'm going with a direct question.

30g display, 12g sump
CS90 overflow and an Eheim 1260 return.

I plan on sticking to FOWLR for a while...probably till spring, though then I'd like to get into some of the easier corals once things have settled down and my fish and inverts are happy.

Just need to choose an in sump skimmer. There's just... so... many... options... my head is spinning a little and a huge range of prices too. I don't have a major problem spending $ if it's for a good skimmer, especially a reliable and quiet one. My set up is off my living room, in an apartment, so if it sounds like a jet turbine it's less than ideal.

I have at least 12x12 of space in the main section of the sump, IIRC, and close to 30" of vertical clearance, Clarence.

TIA

For that small of a tank I would look at the Tunze 9002 or the bm nac 3.

reef rider
10/31/2011, 02:01 PM
I am looking for in sump. I saw early in this thread you were pretty pleased with Warner Marine skimmers. I also saw some You Tube video of Reef Dynamics INS skimmer. Seem to perform well. Any thoughts on these? Looked as though pinwheel with gate valve was easier to work with and performed well. Are there any performance enhancing mods that can be applied to The remora c, that you can think of?

mojo~
10/31/2011, 02:03 PM
Hi. I currently run a SWC xtreme 160 (the old skimmer with the sicce 2500 pump, not the new cone), with the red demon pinwheel. This is for my very heavily-stocked 90g with 30g sump. It skims great, and I have been happy with the performance. But I hate the noise. I am looking for a skimmer that will perform as well (or better), but does not have any audible noise.

I've heard great things about the SWC 160 cone (most people say it is silent), but the air pull (ie. performance) is much less than my current skimmer.

I can't afford the very high-end skimmers with the red dragon/askoll pumps.

I know the SRO xp 2000 would be an excellent fit for my system, but I've heard that these can be as noisy as the sicce pumps (or almost so).

Sorry for the rant. What do you recommend?

Edit: one other important bit of info - space very tight - looking for something with a fairly similar footprint as my current swc 160 or thereabouts.

The sea side aquatics is very quiet. It uses the psk 600 syncra pump. Much better than the old psk 2500 sicce and the atman 2500.

The sea side even uses a small pad under the pump to help reduce any hum that the pump might produce. The swc 160 cone uses the atman 2500 pump, same as the bmk 150, bm nac6, and bm nac 7 and a few other models. They are ok pumps but I would not say silent.

mojo~
10/31/2011, 02:07 PM
I am looking for in sump. I saw early in this thread you were pretty pleased with Warner Marine skimmers. I also saw some You Tube video of Reef Dynamics INS skimmer. Seem to perform well. Any thoughts on these? Looked as though pinwheel with gate valve was easier to work with and performed well. Are there any performance enhancing mods that can be applied to The remora c, that you can think of?

the wm skimmers are fine. The new line is the same as the skimz line with a few tweeks to make them a little different. the reef dynamic units are really solid.

The remora was great back in the day. There is not a whole lot I would suggest. What pump are you using ?

reef rider
10/31/2011, 02:47 PM
I'm using the maxi jet 1200 pump that came with it. It producs a wet skimmate, as others have stated. Cup ajustment doesn't make a difference, just slows down the amount collected. Was just wondering if there was something that could be done to make it produce a drier skimmate. Someone stated they modded to produce drier, but wouldn't tell what they did.

jedimaster1138
10/31/2011, 03:00 PM
For that small of a tank I would look at the Tunze 9002 or the bm nac 3.

Thanks Mojo. I was looking at the Reef Octopus 4 (http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Octopus_Needle_Pin_Wheel_Protein_Skimmer_Protein_Skimmers_for_Saltwater_Aquariums_Reefs-Reef_Octopus-CV5111-FIPS-vi.html) but will look at those 2 now with your recommendation.

schoi
10/31/2011, 03:55 PM
Yea, give the tank some time. You have a pretty light load in there. How deep is the skimmer ?

I varied the depths from 9.5 to 7.5 and now it is sitting at 9. All with the same result, foam would only get up 3/4 of the neck.

I just dialed down my return pump to give the skimmer more contact time and voila. I have a head of foam that is reaching the top. Hopefully it stays that way. Thanks for your help.

E-A-G-L-E-S
10/31/2011, 04:45 PM
accidental

A_Z
10/31/2011, 04:54 PM
water volume: 130g

looking at these three skimmers, which is the best?

- Octo X 160
- Octo X 200
- SRO 2000

thanks!

hotshot619
10/31/2011, 05:12 PM
So I decided to make myself a sump in the hopes that whatever skimmer I get will work better than a HOB plus I can hide my probes and all my other gear. I have a 46 bow, a 15 sump going to have a light bioload but I want to have a powerful skimmer just to keep junk out and if I decide to overstock in future I will be okay.
I CPR Aquafuge Large (5 gallons) filled with Miracle mud, and cheato and will be running a BRS Carbon, Phosphate reactor if that matters. So the sump space is all for the skimmer and the mag 7 return

Looking for performance meets noise, since its In the bed room, but I will probably only skim 12ish hours a day so noise isn't super crazy important but I want the thing to beast out junk.

A list would be awesome of good picks since I will be looking for Used skimmers to save on cash if possible. I have seem lots of RO skimmers, G3, other pinwheels ect. Recommendations?

mojo~
10/31/2011, 06:30 PM
water volume: 130g

looking at these three skimmers, which is the best?

- Octo X 160
- Octo X 200
- SRO 2000

thanks!

The sro 2000 or the octo xs 200 would be good.

mojo~
10/31/2011, 06:32 PM
So I decided to make myself a sump in the hopes that whatever skimmer I get will work better than a HOB plus I can hide my probes and all my other gear. I have a 46 bow, a 15 sump going to have a light bioload but I want to have a powerful skimmer just to keep junk out and if I decide to overstock in future I will be okay.
I CPR Aquafuge Large (5 gallons) filled with Miracle mud, and cheato and will be running a BRS Carbon, Phosphate reactor if that matters. So the sump space is all for the skimmer and the mag 7 return

Looking for performance meets noise, since its In the bed room, but I will probably only skim 12ish hours a day so noise isn't super crazy important but I want the thing to beast out junk.

A list would be awesome of good picks since I will be looking for Used skimmers to save on cash if possible. I have seem lots of RO skimmers, G3, other pinwheels ect. Recommendations?

Honestly the Sro 1000 would be a great fit for you. Great performance and still pretty quiet. The neck size is right about in line with what you will need for your tank.

tntneon
11/01/2011, 12:52 PM
hi reefers :) ,

-This evening i was reading the spec's of the new Bubble king 200 super marines.
If site language of royal exclusive is turned to German you can read the following very intresting specs , just curious what you guys think of it ? :)

If i do my very best i can translate the following sentence :

"verschleissfreies Nadelrad aus neuartigem Kunststoffverbund mit in Kunststoff eingebettetem Carbon.. dadurch extrem hoher Reibungskoeffizient zw. Wasser und Nadelrad, dadurch entsteht eine hohe statische Aufladung, die wiederum allerfeinste Luftblasen erzeugt, die statisch aufgeladen sind und die abzuschäumenden Produkte, extrem gut an die Luftblasen anbinden. "

something about a new needle impeller , which material composes out of carbon embeded plastic , it creates a huge amout of static electricity wich makes finer bubbles who are staticly charged .
Makes that the hydrophilic /hydrofobic binding force is higher ....

any thoughts or critizim welcome :)

reeftivo
11/01/2011, 06:02 PM
Great! another reason to get the BK I can't afford-LOL

jason2459
11/01/2011, 06:16 PM
I wonder how they get it statically charged underwater. And if so how does it not cause stray current or blow a GFCI.

mojo~
11/01/2011, 06:17 PM
I cannot not say I know for sure. But Off the top of my head I am not buying it. I will do some more research on this. But as an electrician am just dont see it.

GSMguy
11/01/2011, 07:04 PM
That's some quality Jargon. :)

Klaus is the master of it.

The tank builds a charge until a lightning bolt shoots out of it.

mojo~
11/01/2011, 07:35 PM
Yea Nick, Not really sure where the pin wheel will get a supply of constant atoms to change the static charge of the air. I mean The air is the only new source of matter coming in. the water is a constant. Not sure where the buildup of electrons is going to come from.

Just my thoughts on it. I may be way off base but just using what I know to make a best guess on this.

ksed
11/01/2011, 08:06 PM
nonsense.

Todd100
11/01/2011, 08:37 PM
About a week ago I posted about an ATB Mikro and showed some frustration. I did a couple things wrong.
I misremembered the neck dimensions. I said the neck was 3.75 inches when its only 3 inches. I also didn't contact ATB first to help me dial in the skimmer. ATB said try running the water higher like 9 inches. I have it at 10 and am loving the results. The skimmer has a steady stream of dry bubbles flowing into the cup with large green chunks in it. The neck doesn't have any solids stuck in it. The neck is also staying very clean with a light translucent film in the top 3/4 inches. I prefer this to having sludge build up in the neck so I don't have to clean it much and I know the sludge
is making it out into the cup. I couldn't be happier with the skimmer and couldn't let my bad info go uncorrected. Chalk up one more satisfied customer for ATB.

jason2459
11/01/2011, 10:06 PM
I should be getting my SRO-3000sss by this Friday from the new LFS! I thought I saw in this thread a recommended sump depth but keep finding them for the sro-2000. Coral Vue has it listed at about 6-6.5in depth? Is that accurate or any other recommendations so I can get a stand setup for it?

savvy joe
11/02/2011, 08:52 AM
I had a swc120 on my previous tank (34 gallon deep sea neo nano) I have since upgraded to a 60 cube, and I guess it's doing OK. I have a pair of percula clowns, orchid dottyback, yellow tail damsel, talbot damsel and green chromis. Is it worth it to upgrade to MF 121?

savvy joe
11/02/2011, 08:52 AM
I had a swc120 on my previous tank (34 gallon deep sea neo nano) I have since upgraded to a 60 cube, and I guess it's doing OK. I have a pair of percula clowns, orchid dottyback, yellow tail damsel, talbot damsel and green chromis. Is it worth it to upgrade to MF 121?

RGibson
11/02/2011, 09:17 AM
What is the best external skimmer for a 180 gal reef tank with a 40 gal sump

mojo~
11/02/2011, 10:11 AM
I should be getting my SRO-3000sss by this Friday from the new LFS! I thought I saw in this thread a recommended sump depth but keep finding them for the sro-2000. Coral Vue has it listed at about 6-6.5in depth? Is that accurate or any other recommendations so I can get a stand setup for it?

yea 6 to 7 inches is best on these. anything deeper and you will run out of adjustment. it will want to overflow.

mojo~
11/02/2011, 10:19 AM

the mf 121 moves more water and air. They are a nice little skimmer. make sure you get the newer magnet pinwheel setup

mojo~
11/02/2011, 10:48 AM
What is the best external skimmer for a 180 gal reef tank with a 40 gal sump

Well there are several that will work . From the older Deltecs, H&S, and euroreef skimmers. On the newer side I would look at the SRO 3000 ext. I think you will be pleased.

mojo~
11/02/2011, 10:54 AM

the mf 121 moves more water and air. They are a nice little skimmer. make sure you get the newer magnet pinwheel setup

mojo~
11/02/2011, 11:01 AM

RGibson
11/02/2011, 12:46 PM
Thank you for the help,I am going to order the SRO-3000 Ext tomorrow.As soon as the skimmer is running i will have 4 tunze pumps to sell.

holdyourlight
11/02/2011, 02:13 PM
Hey mojo
hoping you could help my with a problem

i am not getting any foam more than halfway up the neck on my skimmer. the skimmer sits in 6.5" water. It is a 2000SSS. the tank is 125 gallons. fish are 2 clownfish, 5 anthias, 1 tang and one butterfly. i have adjusted the water height, does not help. airflow is not blocked. dismantled and cleaned a couple weeks ago, no help.
here is a video

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h172/jimmy462/?action=view&current=DSCF4449.mp4

mojo~
11/02/2011, 04:42 PM
Hey mojo
hoping you could help my with a problem

i am not getting any foam more than halfway up the neck on my skimmer. the skimmer sits in 6.5" water. It is a 2000SSS. the tank is 125 gallons. fish are 2 clownfish, 5 anthias, 1 tang and one butterfly. i have adjusted the water height, does not help. airflow is not blocked. dismantled and cleaned a couple weeks ago, no help.
here is a video

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h172/jimmy462/?action=view&current=DSCF4449.mp4

You can try running it a little deeper the sss model with the pump underneath can run a biit deeper. you have a lot of head pressure right now. Also adjust it up so the large bubbles are breaking about half way up the neck from the bottom of the cup. then let it sit. It has to slime up. And how old is the tank setup? It will take a while for your load to dirty up the water. give it time. but I would try running at 7.5 to 8 inches and see what you get.

Saltwatercoral2
11/02/2011, 04:47 PM
i am goign to setup a 75 gallon tank, with a 30 gallon sump. Within the next yr or so, im going to upgrade to a 90 gallon shallow, 48 x 24 front to back by 18 high. Would a sro xp2000 be ok ont he 75 gallon for a while?

holdyourlight
11/02/2011, 06:19 PM
You can try running it a little deeper the sss model with the pump underneath can run a biit deeper. you have a lot of head pressure right now. Also adjust it up so the large bubbles are breaking about half way up the neck from the bottom of the cup. then let it sit. It has to slime up. And how old is the tank setup? It will take a while for your load to dirty up the water. give it time. but I would try running at 7.5 to 8 inches and see what you get.

I tried running it deeper on my last tank, when it worked fine and the performance was much worse. The tank has been up for a few months and a few weeks ago it was working perfectly.
There are 3 things in my mind that could be causing this, let me know what you think:
-I added 25 lbs BRS dry eco rock to the already established 75 lbs last week
-There is not enough flow thru the sump. I am only getting about 200gph turnover with my current pump. I have a mag 18 on the way which should give me about 700 gph turnover.
-Last week i also changed out the sump from a 25 gallon to a 33 long. The 33 long had previously been used as a QT tank, so even though i sterilized it, some med could be remaining thats affecting the skimmer?

let me know your thoughts i appreciate it.

starshrike
11/03/2011, 09:54 AM
Did not get all too may responses in my thread, it seems most skimmer questions go here! My question thread.. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19407516&posted
Thanks in advance!!

As a summary, trying to upgrade my skimmer for 60 gal disply, 40 gal sump tank... My price high point is $350. Going as "big" as possible, not sure if there is a "too big". I figure if I upgrade tanks, I will be able to use this skimmer as a back-up, at least.

My normal water sump depth is approximately 11-12", not sure how adjustable these systems are so they work optimally. What would be easiest to maintain, quiet and "last"?
The total height I have available is 25" so they all fit within the clearance I need. How easy are pumps to maintain when they are inside the skimmer?

Looking at my options I am thinking of...
Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver SRO XP1000SSS, I heard mostly positive, but some negative about the pump
Reef Octopus Extreme XS 160 Protein Skimmer
Reef Octopus Extreme XS 200 Protein Skimmer
Bubble Magus BM-NAC7 Cone Protein Skimmer (or NAC77)

Todd100
11/03/2011, 11:08 AM
CAD Lights 2nd Generation Conic Protein skimmers (TIA-1150)

The New 2012 CAD Lights 2nd Generation Conic protein skimmers has many features that reef hobbyists of all types desire: High quality materials and components, professional craftsmanship, energy efficiency, aggressive performance, complete silence, durability etc.. These were all major factors during our designing of all 3 sizes of our Conic skimmers. All of our Protein skimmers are also Made In the USA. Our Conic skimmer bodies are liquid extruded mold formed into solid seamless tubes that are incredibly durable. Comes already fully assembled so it is ready to use the moment you receive it!

Features:

*Perfectly insulated to feature silent operations, only 5 Decibels of audible sound.

*High quality water pumps for long lasting high performance, minimal vibrations and silent operation.

*Flex-Plastic injection molded pin-wheel impellers for extended life and designed for high volume air draw.

*Liquid extruded Cell-Cast Acrylic body, Solid seamless with no joints. Extra thick Acrylic construction.

*Attractive Semi-gloss Porcelain color Acrylic.

*Newest built-in micro-bubble trapping mechanisms eliminates the micro-bubbles in the exhaust.

*Laser cut bubble plate dramatically reduces turbulence and improves direction of foam production.

*Easily disassembles completely for simple maintenance and cleaning.

*Each Conic skimmer come already fully assembled for simple installation the moment it arrives!

* 1 Year Warranty covers the entire skimmer from top to bottom (including pump, impeller, fittings etc).

*Dimensions: 9.75" x 6.5" x 18.5"

*GPH: 375GPH

*Wattage: 20W

Load recommendations:

Light bio-load (150G)

Medium bio-load (120G)

Heavy bio-load (90G)

The price is 225$

I just saw this skimmer and it says only 5 decibels of audible sound.
After a Google search I found a thread on N-R that has 1 member saying its silent. The other saw it at a trade show and had to put his ear next to it to hear anything. A quiet skimmer is one thing but a 5 decibel skimmer is amazing. I wonder what their definition of audible sound is? Maybe they say 20 decibels is audible and their skimmer is at 25? Do you think it's really possible that theres a silent, low cost, cone skimmer?

I'll e-email them and see about the decebel rating.

Todd100
11/03/2011, 10:27 PM
They're saying that they beleive they have the lowest level sounding skimmers on the market today.
Here is the e-mail conversation:

Im really not sure when we tested them with a sound meter thats what
they came out to be..

Thank you for choosing CAD Lights Aquariums,
Andrew Jenkins
Sales Manager
CAD Lights & Aquariums
Sales@cadlights.com
www.cadlights.com
909-605-1891 909-605-1891
909-489-6092 909-489-6092

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 12:27:09 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Todd wrote:
> Cool, what is the decibel level that humans can hear?
>
> "sales@cadlights.com"
> Aaron Todd
> Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:57 AM
> Re: Message from CAD Lights
>
> Hi Aaron
> Our protein skimmers are very quiet. You can read about them on
> They are 5 decibels total above the human haering level... They are
> the lowest level sounding skimmers on the market today i believe...
> If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us..
> Thank you for choosing CAD Lights Aquariums,
> Andrew Jenkins
> Sales Manager
> CAD Lights & Aquariums

TheFishMan65
11/04/2011, 07:30 AM
It would be interested to know the test. Decibel can be misleading. My skimmer is 0 decibels when the meter is on the other side of the house :). Or what is the decibel rating of a jet. You probably don't even notice the once at a 20-30,000 feet.

I am not saying it is not quite (never seen one), but you need to ask what the test setup was.

pazzo40
11/04/2011, 07:32 AM
What are the best skimmer options for a 40 breeder with a 20L sump?

Thanks

whitemarlin
11/04/2011, 07:49 AM
My setup is a 40b with a 29 sump, 50lb live rock, 3" sand bed in dt 4" sand bed in sump, hob filter with a sponge and carbon.
I have a mf 121 that i just got. when i set it up the other day on my 3week old tank it ran good for the first 18 hrs then it started to overflow. now i set it and it will work for a while then it will overflow. If i catch the overflow and open the micro valve the water level stays, but it will drop back down at some point and then i have bring the water back up and it will go good for a while then overflow again. any idea's on what to do would be great.
thanks
mike

Deepsea2005
11/04/2011, 08:16 AM
Hello,

I have a 500g SPS heavy stock tank.
I'm using the reeflo 250 skimmer now.
What is a better skimmer should I get?

Thanks,

mojo~
11/04/2011, 07:25 PM
i am goign to setup a 75 gallon tank, with a 30 gallon sump. Within the next yr or so, im going to upgrade to a 90 gallon shallow, 48 x 24 front to back by 18 high. Would a sro xp2000 be ok ont he 75 gallon for a while?

yeap you will be fine

mojo~
11/04/2011, 07:27 PM
I tried running it deeper on my last tank, when it worked fine and the performance was much worse. The tank has been up for a few months and a few weeks ago it was working perfectly.
There are 3 things in my mind that could be causing this, let me know what you think:
-I added 25 lbs BRS dry eco rock to the already established 75 lbs last week
-There is not enough flow thru the sump. I am only getting about 200gph turnover with my current pump. I have a mag 18 on the way which should give me about 700 gph turnover.
-Last week i also changed out the sump from a 25 gallon to a 33 long. The 33 long had previously been used as a QT tank, so even though i sterilized it, some med could be remaining thats affecting the skimmer?

let me know your thoughts i appreciate it.

sump turnover should be around 5x tank volume. 200 is really low and would explain performance issues.

mojo~
11/04/2011, 07:44 PM
Did not get all too may responses in my thread, it seems most skimmer questions go here! My question thread.. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19407516&posted
Thanks in advance!!

As a summary, trying to upgrade my skimmer for 60 gal disply, 40 gal sump tank... My price high point is $350. Going as "big" as possible, not sure if there is a "too big". I figure if I upgrade tanks, I will be able to use this skimmer as a back-up, at least.

My normal water sump depth is approximately 11-12", not sure how adjustable these systems are so they work optimally. What would be easiest to maintain, quiet and "last"?
The total height I have available is 25" so they all fit within the clearance I need. How easy are pumps to maintain when they are inside the skimmer?

Looking at my options I am thinking of...
Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver SRO XP1000SSS, I heard mostly positive, but some negative about the pump
Reef Octopus Extreme XS 160 Protein Skimmer
Reef Octopus Extreme XS 200 Protein Skimmer
Bubble Magus BM-NAC7 Cone Protein Skimmer (or NAC77)

The sro 1000 would be great but it will need to run about 7 inches the octo xs 160 would be ok too but starting to get too big and it will run well 8 to 9 inches. so keep in mind you will have to run the skimmer on a stand.

mojo~
11/04/2011, 07:47 PM
CAD Lights 2nd Generation Conic Protein skimmers (TIA-1150)

The New 2012 CAD Lights 2nd Generation Conic protein skimmers has many features that reef hobbyists of all types desire: High quality materials and components, professional craftsmanship, energy efficiency, aggressive performance, complete silence, durability etc.. These were all major factors during our designing of all 3 sizes of our Conic skimmers. All of our Protein skimmers are also Made In the USA. Our Conic skimmer bodies are liquid extruded mold formed into solid seamless tubes that are incredibly durable. Comes already fully assembled so it is ready to use the moment you receive it!

Features:

*Perfectly insulated to feature silent operations, only 5 Decibels of audible sound.

*High quality water pumps for long lasting high performance, minimal vibrations and silent operation.

*Flex-Plastic injection molded pin-wheel impellers for extended life and designed for high volume air draw.

*Liquid extruded Cell-Cast Acrylic body, Solid seamless with no joints. Extra thick Acrylic construction.

*Attractive Semi-gloss Porcelain color Acrylic.

*Newest built-in micro-bubble trapping mechanisms eliminates the micro-bubbles in the exhaust.

*Laser cut bubble plate dramatically reduces turbulence and improves direction of foam production.

*Easily disassembles completely for simple maintenance and cleaning.

*Each Conic skimmer come already fully assembled for simple installation the moment it arrives!

* 1 Year Warranty covers the entire skimmer from top to bottom (including pump, impeller, fittings etc).

*Dimensions: 9.75" x 6.5" x 18.5"

*GPH: 375GPH

*Wattage: 20W

Load recommendations:

Light bio-load (150G)

Medium bio-load (120G)

Heavy bio-load (90G)

The price is 225$

I just saw this skimmer and it says only 5 decibels of audible sound.
After a Google search I found a thread on N-R that has 1 member saying its silent. The other saw it at a trade show and had to put his ear next to it to hear anything. A quiet skimmer is one thing but a 5 decibel skimmer is amazing. I wonder what their definition of audible sound is? Maybe they say 20 decibels is audible and their skimmer is at 25? Do you think it's really possible that theres a silent, low cost, cone skimmer?

I'll e-email them and see about the decebel rating.

have you ever bought anything from cadlights ? Cant say much about the skimmer, But I would not go back to them as a customer. poor service and very hard to get a hold of from my past experience.

mojo~
11/04/2011, 07:53 PM
What are the best skimmer options for a 40 breeder with a 20L sump?

Thanks

depends on space. Vertex in 80, tunze 9005, skimz 121 and the sro 1000 are the best choices right now. I would lean more towards the sro 1000.

mojo~
11/04/2011, 07:57 PM
My setup is a 40b with a 29 sump, 50lb live rock, 3" sand bed in dt 4" sand bed in sump, hob filter with a sponge and carbon.
I have a mf 121 that i just got. when i set it up the other day on my 3week old tank it ran good for the first 18 hrs then it started to overflow. now i set it and it will work for a while then it will overflow. If i catch the overflow and open the micro valve the water level stays, but it will drop back down at some point and then i have bring the water back up and it will go good for a while then overflow again. any idea's on what to do would be great.
thanks
mike

leave the air valve open. No need to close it down. and when you do start it let it run. I think you are running it too high and when it starts to skim it overflows.

mojo~
11/04/2011, 08:02 PM
Hello,

I have a 500g SPS heavy stock tank.
I'm using the reeflo 250 skimmer now.
What is a better skimmer should I get?

Thanks,

the reeflo isnt a bad unit. but if I were looking now I would look at the sro 7000. Great skimmer pulls a ton of air and moves a lot of water. Good bang for your buck.

pascal32
11/04/2011, 08:58 PM
looking to upgrade the skimmer on a dual tank system:

180 with LPS tank medium/heavy fish
240 which will be medium/heavy fish few corals
----
420G

skimmer must be external

The XP cones work great on another system - unfortunately there seems to be a big gap between the 5000XP and the 8000XP - worried the 5000XP is a touch too small with the Bubble Blaster 5000 pump

as options considering Super Reef Octopus 6000 External with Bubble Blaster HY6000 pump or Super Reef Octopus 7000 External with Bubble Blaster HY10000 pump

thoughts on these or any other alternatives?

jason2459
11/04/2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks a ton Mojo. I just got the SRO-3000sss in today and hooked up. The 180 goes up tomorrow. I already love the skimmer and I really haven't even used it. I didn't realize that pretty much everything comes apart. I thought the bottom was permanent. I'm also surprised at how quite it already is. I thought I remembered my hy2000 starting off pretty loud then quite down. And love that I can direct the gate valve in what ever direction I want. I do need to do the T adapater mod on it though. I have the skimmer in 6.5" of water and when the bubbles get up to the neck the water flow comes out of the gate valve really fast and splashes water everywhere. I have it covered for now but I would like something better then a bowl. I just need to find what size pipe I can get to fit into or around the gate valve exit.

whitemarlin
11/04/2011, 09:53 PM
leave the air valve open. No need to close it down. and when you do start it let it run. I think you are running it too high and when it starts to skim it overflows.

I just started the skimmer 15 mins ago with the air and micro valve fully open and the water level has gone up the bayonet and is makeing foam, what is going on with this thing.

starshrike
11/04/2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks Mojo.. just ordered the SRO, going to put it on a stand. Wanted something that has long term potential.. ie maybe a bigger tank :)

The sro 1000 would be great but it will need to run about 7 inches the octo xs 160 would be ok too but starting to get too big and it will run well 8 to 9 inches. so keep in mind you will have to run the skimmer on a stand.

Todd100
11/05/2011, 01:23 PM
No I haven't bought anything from Cadlights before. That sucks to hear they could be better on their customer service.

"It would be interested to know the test. Decibel can be misleading. My skimmer is 0 decibels when the meter is on the other side of the house . Or what is the decibel rating of a jet. You probably don't even notice the once at a 20-30,000 feet.

I am not saying it is not quite (never seen one), but you need to ask what the test setup was." -TheFishMan65

I actually got 2 different people that responded to the one email. The other response was this:
Hi, Aaron

For both the TIA-1150 and the TIA-1220, we are getting readings of around 5dB with the doors opened in front of the cabinet. we shut off all the other equipment in the cabinet with only the skimmer running.

Thank you
Eddie

It doesn't say how far away the sensor was but to be fair there isn't an established distance that all manufacturers have agreed to measure decibels at.

I was contemplating buying one to send to Mojo (after asking if he wanted to)so he could review it then send it on to me. It would be wasting money for me though since I just bought a nice skimmer a couple weeks ago. I was still contemplating wasting that cash to get a quieter skimmer. Mojo saying customer service has been a past problem made the decision for me a no brainer not to do it. When the source of information on something that seems to be too good to be true, could've done better in the past, its more likely it is too good to be true.

mojo~
11/05/2011, 03:18 PM
looking to upgrade the skimmer on a dual tank system:

180 with LPS tank medium/heavy fish
240 which will be medium/heavy fish few corals
----
420G

skimmer must be external

The XP cones work great on another system - unfortunately there seems to be a big gap between the 5000XP and the 8000XP - worried the 5000XP is a touch too small with the Bubble Blaster 5000 pump

as options considering Super Reef Octopus 6000 External with Bubble Blaster HY6000 pump or Super Reef Octopus 7000 External with Bubble Blaster HY10000 pump

thoughts on these or any other alternatives?

The 5000 and 6000 use the same pump. I wouldgo with the 7000ext or the 5000ext. Both are great. If you think its going to bea really heavy load go with the 7000.

mojo~
11/05/2011, 03:24 PM
I just started the skimmer 15 mins ago with the air and micro valve fully open and the water level has gone up the bayonet and is makeing foam, what is going on with this thing.

give it time. take a picture of the water output and of the whole skimmer. This would help me see what you have going on. Make sure skimmer is running. I am sure this isnt a major problem.

mojo~
11/05/2011, 03:29 PM
I am glad that you all are liking the skimmers suggested. Just wanted to say again. I do this as it is a hobby within a hobby. I enjoy skimmers. Have ownedjust about everything that is on the market or have had some experience with it.

I just hope it helps some of you save some money and not have to buy 3 or 4 skimmers to get the right one.

Mojo~

Rwpdunne
11/05/2011, 06:09 PM
I've recently changed from a Detect 2060 to kz Beckett skimmer I'm using the skimmer a few weeks and i like it but I'm getting a lot of bubbles coming out of the outlet is there anything i can do to stop this and it gets very bad when i do a water change

Thanks Robbie

mojo~
11/05/2011, 06:59 PM
Turn the air valve down slightly.

kaipo13
11/05/2011, 07:13 PM
Mr. Mojo,

I'm setting up a 130 gal tank with a 25 gal sump. A friend was steering me toward an AquaC EV-180, he liked the way it worked with his similar setup. I noticed you don't seem to think much of these skimmers, what would you recommend? I'd have 10" x about 16" footprint in the sump, with about 24" clearance (although 18" would be better...) What would you recommend?

mojo~
11/05/2011, 08:23 PM
They are not bad skimmer. Jsut older technology. With only 18 in to work with I would suggest a tunzeor the AquaC But the Sea side cs2, Avast cs1, vertex in 180and sro 2000 would all do great and not break the bank.

blown
11/05/2011, 09:15 PM
The 5000 and 6000 use the same pump. I wouldgo with the 7000ext or the 5000ext. Both are great. If you think its going to bea really heavy load go with the 7000.

I have a 5000ext on my 300. Best skimmer I have owned, pump has been flawless.

Deepsea2005
11/05/2011, 10:05 PM
the reeflo isnt a bad unit. but if I were looking now I would look at the sro 7000. Great skimmer pulls a ton of air and moves a lot of water. Good bang for your buck.

Thanks, Mojo~

E-A-G-L-E-S
11/06/2011, 08:43 AM
Anyone searching for an HOB, I have a good option.
The Bubble Magus NAC5-E. The following two pictures should help.
It runs between 69dB-71dB @ 12" from the pump, so not silent but not loud either. Many SRO's register as high as 80dB for reference.

40Br, two ocellaris, one green chromis, one midas blenny, one flame angel, one royal gramma.

First 24hrs:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/E-A-G-L-E-S/IMG_0207.jpg

Hrs 24-60:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/E-A-G-L-E-S/IMG_0210.jpg

whitemarlin
11/06/2011, 08:52 AM
give it time. take a picture of the water output and of the whole skimmer. This would help me see what you have going on. Make sure skimmer is running. I am sure this isnt a major problem.

the skimmer has been running over 24 hours and this is what it looks like with no adjustments. on a side note i noticed you said they have a differant pinwheel for this, do you think it would make a differance.
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l633/whitemarlin/1106110006-1.jpg
thanks

screamingibis
11/06/2011, 08:54 AM
Mojo or anyone with experience on skimmers in this size range, would an Avast CS-1 be too much of a skimmer with medium to heavy bioload on a 60 gallon cube with 20 gallon sump. Also may run GFO if I have to?

I'm not too concerned with noise. I have two kids, two dogs, two cats. You get the picture.:bounce1:

E-A-G-L-E-S
11/06/2011, 09:02 AM
Anyone searching for an HOB, I have a good option.
The Bubble Magus NAC5-E. The following two pictures should help.
It runs between 69dB-71dB @ 12" from the pump, so not silent but not loud either. Many SRO's register as high as 80dB for reference.

40Br, two ocellaris, one green chromis, one midas blenny, one flame angel, one royal gramma.

First 24hrs:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/E-A-G-L-E-S/IMG_0207.jpg

Hrs 24-60: (This is After I emptied the first 24hrs worth!!)
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/E-A-G-L-E-S/IMG_0210.jpg

mojo~
11/06/2011, 12:00 PM
Mojo or anyone with experience on skimmers in this size range, would an Avast CS-1 be too much of a skimmer with medium to heavy bioload on a 60 gallon cube with 20 gallon sump. Also may run GFO if I have to?

I'm not too concerned with noise. I have two kids, two dogs, two cats. You get the picture.:bounce1:

THe avast would be a bit large. Will it work yes. In this case I would suggest getting it with the recirc option. just so you can fine tune the skimmer more for your size system.

screamingibis
11/06/2011, 07:27 PM
THe avast would be a bit large. Will it work yes. In this case I would suggest getting it with the recirc option. just so you can fine tune the skimmer more for your size system.

What would you recommend in the 200 to 300 $ range for this size setup? I see you like the SRO 1000 and the seaside CS-1. Any other towards the lower 200 range. Thanks.

screamingibis
11/07/2011, 04:36 PM
bump^^

freeswimmingfis
11/07/2011, 04:48 PM
Hello.
The pump (20 year old Little Giant) for my PM Bullet 2 skimmer just died.
Instead of relacing the pump, I might just get a new in sump skimmer.
I have about 7 x 9 footprint, and about $300 to spend.
What would be a good option for my $300 budget?
The tank is a light/med stocked 90 gal, about 25 gal in the sump.
Thanks

mojo~
11/07/2011, 07:59 PM
bump^^

The sea side aquatics cs1, the sro 1000 and the vertex in 100

mojo~
11/07/2011, 08:06 PM
Hello.
Thanks

The swc 160 cone is really about the best for the space you have.

h20cooled
11/08/2011, 11:15 AM
Hello All! Got a skimmer question. I have around 120g total volume, mixed but more sps, will end up a medium to heavy stock tank. Looking for a good in sump skimmer in the $300 to $400 range. I am leaning toward the:

SWC Xtreme 180 cone
Seaside Aquatics CS2
Skimz SK201
SRO ?

It seems like the better pumps are in the CS2 and SWC and the price is better, I prefer a cone skimmer I had a ATB medium years ago and it was the best skimmer i have seen. The SWC is only a little more $ and pulls more air so it seems like a better setup. I also saw the SRO cone units not sure which one of those would work. Any recommendations?

Rich

bprinehart
11/08/2011, 12:15 PM
I have a 45 Gallon Cube, and a rubbermaid 100 Gallon stock tank sump. Total system volume is approximately 100 gallons. I'm leaning towards the SRO 1000 or the SWC Xtreme 160 Cone. Anyone see any significant advantages of one over the other? If it were your money which would you go with?

freeswimmingfis
11/08/2011, 12:57 PM
The swc 160 cone is really about the best for the space you have.

Thank you.
I will take a close look at the swc 160 cone.

msayani2
11/08/2011, 01:26 PM
Hey mojo,

I'm planning on a new reef aquarium with ~150 gallon display tank and a 30 gallon sump. The tank will host couple of LPS and a few SPS corals along with 12-15 small fish (2" length) and 4 large ones (4" long tangs). Im guessing this is a low-med bioload.

For this setup, I have looked through the forums and your recommendations and have shortlisted my skimmer choices to the following. Keep in mind that I do not plan to upgrade for another 4-5 years.

1. ATB 840 V2
2. ATB elegance 200 PRO
3. ATB 1050A v1.5
4. BK mini 180 gen 2
5. BK mini 200 gen 2

The most important thing for the skimmer is to be built well, perform consistently with the least tinkering possible , set it and forget it type skimmer that is sized appropriately for my setup. It must have a great track record and reliability. I plan to buy this one skimmer and keep it for a while.

In your honest opinion, based on the above information, what is the best product to go for?

If there is some other product you recommend over the above, do let me know

msayani2
11/08/2011, 01:28 PM
Hey mojo,

I'm planning on a new reef aquarium with ~150 gallon display tank and a 30 gallon sump. The tank will host couple of LPS and a few SPS corals along with 12-15 small fish (2" length) and 4 large ones (4" long tangs). Im guessing this is a low-med bioload.

For this setup, I have looked through the forums and your recommendations and have shortlisted my skimmer choices to the following. Keep in mind that I do not plan to upgrade my tank for another 4-5 years.

1. ATB 840 V2
2. ATB elegance 200 PRO
3. ATB 1050A v1.5
4. BK mini 180 gen 2
5. BK mini 200 gen 2

The most important aspects for the skimmer is to be built well, perform consistently with the least tinkering possible , set it and forget it type skimmer that is sized appropriately for my setup. It must have a great track record and reliability. I plan to buy this one skimmer and keep it for a while.

In your honest opinion, based on the above information, what is the best product to go for?

msayani2
11/08/2011, 08:49 PM
So after doing some searching im also considering the deluxe 8.5 from ATB.

At the same time im probably gonna be sticking to atb over BK due to the pump issues with BK red dragon and acquiring a new one if required might be problematic.

Side note : BTW, is this a replacement pump for the BK mini skimmers ? -

Royal Exclusiv Mini Red Dragon Pump 2,5 m³

there is a 3,5m³ version also at reefdepot.com.sg

freeswimmingfis
11/08/2011, 10:31 PM
Hey Mojo,
There is someone from my local club that has a Deltec APF600 Skimmer for a decent price.
Is this a good skimmer? Will it fit in the 7 x 9 space I have? Is it equal or better than the swc 160 cone you recomended earlier? They are about the same price.
Thanks

Hello.
Thanks

msayani2
11/10/2011, 11:03 AM
Bump.

freeswimmingfis
11/10/2011, 01:13 PM
Hey Mojo,
There is someone from my local club that has a Deltec APF600 Skimmer for a decent price.
Is this a good skimmer? Will it fit in the 7 x 9 space I have? Is it equal or better than the swc 160 cone you recomended earlier? They are about the same price.
Thanks

OK, so the Deltec will not fit with out cutting the plate... :(
So, now I am down to these:
SWC 1600 extreme cone
Reef Octopus Diablo Cone Skimmer
Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver

All of these are in the $300 range and should fit due to not having a plate.
I am leaning towards the DIABLO 2500 at this time.
Thoughts?

mojo~
11/10/2011, 07:07 PM
Hello All! Got a skimmer question. I have around 120g total volume, mixed but more sps, will end up a medium to heavy stock tank. Looking for a good in sump skimmer in the $300 to $400 range. I am leaning toward the:

SWC Xtreme 180 cone
Seaside Aquatics CS2
Skimz SK201
SRO ?

It seems like the better pumps are in the CS2 and SWC and the price is better, I prefer a cone skimmer I had a ATB medium years ago and it was the best skimmer i have seen. The SWC is only a little more $ and pulls more air so it seems like a better setup. I also saw the SRO cone units not sure which one of those would work. Any recommendations?

Rich

The sea side aquatics CS2 or the SRO 2000. Those are going to be thebest performers for the money for you.

mojo~
11/10/2011, 07:10 PM
I have a 45 Gallon Cube, and a rubbermaid 100 Gallon stock tank sump. Total system volume is approximately 100 gallons. I'm leaning towards the SRO 1000 or the SWC Xtreme 160 Cone. Anyone see any significant advantages of one over the other? If it were your money which would you go with?

How about the seaside CS1? Both of what you picked are good but the Psk600 pump in the sea side is a better pump than the atman. The sro1000 would be work well.

mojo~
11/10/2011, 07:17 PM
Hey mojo,

For this setup, I have looked through the forums and your recommendations and have shortlisted my skimmer choices to the following. Keep in mind that I do not plan to upgrade for another 4-5 years.

1. ATB 840 V2
2. ATB elegance 200 PRO
3. ATB 1050A v1.5
4. BK mini 180 gen 2
5. BK mini 200 gen 2

The most important thing for the skimmer is to be built well, perform consistently with the least tinkering possible , set it and forget it type skimmer that is sized appropriately for my setup. It must have a great track record and reliability. I plan to buy this one skimmer and keep it for a while.

You are borderline really. With the 30g sump you may be better off with a mini. I would say the 840 would do well but with the big tangs in there I would step up to the 1050a. But it would take up a good part of your sump. The bk mini 180 gen 2 would do really well. I think the 200's larger neck on your tank may be a little too large for constant performance. with that said I would lean towards the bk mini 180 gen 2. For performance ,ease, and room left in sump. If you jumped up to like a 180 I would go with the 1050a.

mojo~
11/10/2011, 07:22 PM
So after doing some searching im also considering the deluxe 8.5 from ATB.

At the same time im probably gonna be sticking to atb over BK due to the pump issues with BK red dragon and acquiring a new one if required might be problematic.

Side note : BTW, is this a replacement pump for the BK mini skimmers ? -

Royal Exclusiv Mini Red Dragon Pump 2,5 m³

there is a 3,5m³ version also at reefdepot.com.sg

The bk red dragon pump is the same as the atb 1050a motor block.

They both use an askoll/ laguana 1500 motor block. You can buy the pumps for about $150. Then put your machined parts off your old pump on it.

the difference between a red dragon pump and a laguana 1500 is a sticker and shorter power cord for the most part...

mojo~
11/10/2011, 07:25 PM
OK, so the Deltec will not fit with out cutting the plate... :(
SWC 1600 extreme cone

Thoughts?

the diablo uses a psk 2500 pump. the others listed use a better pump. I would go with the sro 1000 or the swc 160. Both are nice enough skimmers.

msayani2
11/11/2011, 12:09 PM
So from what I understand:

1. The ATB 840 v2 may not be able to handle my tank (its small for it)

2. The ATB 1050A would be better but it is suited for a tank larger than the one I plan to build and only consider if i am considering a 180g instead of 150g.

3. The Mini 180 would be a perfect fit for the bioload and has a small footprint.

Just want to make sure I get what you want to say.

Thanks for the help.

msayani2
11/11/2011, 12:12 PM
Also, about the laguna/askoll pump replacing an RD pump on the mini 180:

If I put my RD machined volute and needlewheel impeller on the askoll, its basically the same pump. However, would the power consumption be the same too? As I understand the RD is modified for low power consumption. Is that how they achieve it?

mojo~
11/11/2011, 03:43 PM
pwer will be the same after you put the volute nad venturi on it. same pump with a longer cord and no sticker. its like gmc and chevy trucks. Same but different.

*reefermadness*
11/11/2011, 04:30 PM
I'm thinking about getting an Eshopps S-120 economy cone skimmer. Any and all opinions are appreciated. I am basically looking for the best skimmer for my buck. My tank is a 30 long with a large bioload of sps, lps, and nps.

msayani2
11/11/2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Mojo. I'm buying the Mini 180.

Keep up the good work on this thread, skimmer reviews and more!

leekevin
11/11/2011, 07:41 PM
mojo i have a 90 g display and a40g sump how much flow through the sump to match my swc 160 skimmer :hmm4:

mojo~
11/11/2011, 07:49 PM
I'm thinking about getting an Eshopps S-120 economy cone skimmer. Any and all opinions are appreciated. I am basically looking for the best skimmer for my buck. My tank is a 30 long with a large bioload of sps, lps, and nps.

Yea the small cone would do fine, the NAC 3.5, swc 120 and tunze 9002 would all do well.

mojo~
11/11/2011, 07:57 PM
mojo i have a 90 g display and a40g sump how much flow through the sump to match my swc 160 skimmer :hmm4:

Not sure if you have a preference on pumps. The Ehiem 1260, a mag 7 or 9, and the Octopus turbine pump 3000.

All of those work well. That would put you at about 500gph through the sump after head pressure. Anything more than that is too fast imo. I have used all those pumps. The ehiem is my first choice but the octo turbine pump is a great inexpensive pump.

leekevin
11/11/2011, 08:06 PM
mojo thanks for the info i was looking at the ehiem 1260 sounds like a good pump

mojo~
11/11/2011, 08:52 PM
yea, I am using one on my 75 and a buddy here local has been using one on his 90 for the last 4 years.

TylerHaworth
11/12/2011, 01:32 AM
Tunze rates their 9410 skimmer at 264 US Gallons, what are your thoughts on exactly what this skimmer can do?

whitemarlin
11/12/2011, 08:18 AM
Mojo, What depth did you run the mf 121 at.

mojo~
11/12/2011, 07:14 PM
Tunze rates their 9410 skimmer at 264 US Gallons, what are your thoughts on exactly what this skimmer can do?

I would put it more in the 150g heavy load. I would sayanyhting from 100 to 150g.

mojo~
11/12/2011, 07:15 PM
Mojo, What depth did you run the mf 121 at.

I ran mine @8 inches but I would say 8 to 10 would work. A little deeper wouldnt hurt it any.

TylerHaworth
11/13/2011, 10:58 AM
I would put it more in the 150g heavy load. I would sayanyhting from 100 to 150g.

Sweet, glad I kept it as it should work out well on my upcoming 120 then. I had it on my medium loaded 75 and always felt like it may have been overskimmed. I also always had a hard time maintaining a good solid foam head like on my prior skimmers, is/was the "head collapse" a byproduct of it being very aggressively skimmed??

mojo~
11/13/2011, 08:03 PM
Sweet, glad I kept it as it should work out well on my upcoming 120 then. I had it on my medium loaded 75 and always felt like it may have been overskimmed. I also always had a hard time maintaining a good solid foam head like on my prior skimmers, is/was the "head collapse" a byproduct of it being very aggressively skimmed??

yea too large of a skimmer and it will actually skim less. Much less than one fitted more properly for your tank.

freeswimmingfis
11/14/2011, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeswimmingfis
OK, so the Deltec will not fit with out cutting the plate...
SWC 1600 extreme cone

Thoughts?

the diablo uses a psk 2500 pump. the others listed use a better pump. I would go with the sro 1000 or the swc 160. Both are nice enough skimmers.

On my list, I have removed the Diablo and added RO XS160.

So, now in this order on my short list:
1. Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver (Bubble Blaster HY1000S pump)
2. Reef Octopus Extreme 6 Inch XS160 (Sicce PSK-600 pump)
3. SWC 1600 extreme cone (Atman 2500 pump)

Is the XP1000 any better than XS160?
How does the SWC 1600 compare to those?

I just want the best skimmer I can for my 90g mixed tank for around $300.

Thanks for the help.

TylerHaworth
11/14/2011, 03:06 PM
yea too large of a skimmer and it will actually skim less. Much less than one fitted more properly for your tank.

Just as I suspected, thanks for the input my friend.

mojo~
11/14/2011, 06:50 PM
On my list, I have removed the Diablo and added RO XS160.

So, now in this order on my short list:
1. Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver (Bubble Blaster HY1000S pump)
2. Reef Octopus Extreme 6 Inch XS160 (Sicce PSK-600 pump)
3. SWC 1600 extreme cone (Atman 2500 pump)

Is the XP1000 any better than XS160?
How does the SWC 1600 compare to those?

I just want the best skimmer I can for my 90g mixed tank for around $300.

Thanks for the help.

the top 2 use much better pumps over the atman. The seaside aquatics cs1 uses the same psk 600 as the xs 160. Its a really nice cone skimmer and is priced at $299. The octo 160 xs would still be a solid choice as well.

SkullV
11/15/2011, 12:14 AM
Mojo, love the skimmer thread. Looking to replace my NAC6 in my 75g SPS heavy reef with 30g sump. Decently heavy fish stocking and running 300ml of Biopellets.

Looking strongly into the BM-NAC8. Do you think this would be a good choice? Any other recommendations under $350?

msayani2
11/15/2011, 12:54 AM
Mojo,

My final setup has changed a bit due to space constraints. Its a 120g DT with a 20g sump.

Im thinking of going with an atb 840 v2 for this setup as I think it will be a better match than the 180 mini due to the lower load.

Few questions:

1. would the ATB 840 v2 be ideal for this setup or should I pick something from the bubble king mini lineup?

2. Im skeptical on getting an atb as I heard it uses extruded acrylic.. kindly let me know if this is not true. [Cast is supposed to be able to handle much more stress than extruded acrylic]

freeswimmingfis
11/15/2011, 10:28 AM
I ordered the Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver (Bubble Blaster HY1000S pump) today!
What depth should this be in? 8"?

Thanks for all the help!

-=James=-
11/15/2011, 12:34 PM
Mojo or anyone that can help,

Which skimmer is ideal for a 180g mixed reef with 60g sump? I dont know much about skimmers.

-I have an option of buying a used AquaC EV-240 with Mag-18 ($250)
-SRO 2000INT ($360)
-SRO 3000INT/SSS ($415/$460)

Would the AquaC EV-240 be ok? Or should I step it up to the SRO? Any other skimmers you recommend between those price points? Looking for the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance

msayani2
11/15/2011, 02:19 PM
Dont get the aqua-c.. Ive run it on my system .. read reviews and all.. it was a decent skimmer back in the day.. never worked that well for me until i used a pump 1.5x more powerful than recommended and even then its consistency is lacking. I used an ev-180 since 2004 and now im breaking down to get a nw skimmer. I really wish I went with Euro reef at the time. They are supposed to be FAR more consistent.

Also, the skimmer started cracking after 4 years.. the mag pump died on me after 2 months.. dont buy the mag drive pumps what ever you do and dont get an aquac.

The SRO is much better built and performs much nicer and consistent from what Ive seen and heard.

Or you could get the aquamaxx cone-2 or cone-3

Best of luck!

mojo~
11/16/2011, 05:52 PM
Mojo, love the skimmer thread. Looking to replace my NAC6 in my 75g SPS heavy reef with 30g sump. Decently heavy fish stocking and running 300ml of Biopellets.

Looking strongly into the BM-NAC8. Do you think this would be a good choice? Any other recommendations under $350?

You dont really want to go with too large of a neck. I would suggest the Seaside aquatics CS2 skimmer or the JNS sk2. I have the JNS on my 75 now and absolutely love it.

I have some pics of it on my build thread here

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2080617

mojo~
11/16/2011, 05:58 PM
Mojo,

My final setup has changed a bit due to space constraints. Its a 120g DT with a 20g sump.

Im thinking of going with an atb 840 v2 for this setup as I think it will be a better match than the 180 mini due to the lower load.

Few questions:

1. would the ATB 840 v2 be ideal for this setup or should I pick something from the bubble king mini lineup?

2. Im skeptical on getting an atb as I heard it uses extruded acrylic.. kindly let me know if this is not true. [Cast is supposed to be able to handle much more stress than extruded acrylic]

The atb 840 v2 would be great for you.

I am not sure who told you they use extruded. I have owned 3 ATBs and can promise you thtey only use cell cast on the neck. The newer cone body is actually different than almost any other cones out. Its like glass. And they use PVC for the cup lid ect just like bubble kings. It is built with all the top materials available.

Extruded tube will have visable lines in the tube. You will be able to see without a doubt that the tube was extruded.

mojo~
11/16/2011, 06:00 PM
I ordered the Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver (Bubble Blaster HY1000S pump) today!
What depth should this be in? 8"?

Thanks for all the help!

you can start there. I believe most are running it a little more shallow. about 7 inches.

mojo~
11/16/2011, 06:00 PM
Mojo or anyone that can help,

Which skimmer is ideal for a 180g mixed reef with 60g sump? I dont know much about skimmers.

-I have an option of buying a used AquaC EV-240 with Mag-18 ($250)
-SRO 2000INT ($360)
-SRO 3000INT/SSS ($415/$460)

Would the AquaC EV-240 be ok? Or should I step it up to the SRO? Any other skimmers you recommend between those price points? Looking for the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance

the sro 3000 int would be the way to go. IT will be worth the extra money.

SkullV
11/16/2011, 06:22 PM
You dont really want to go with too large of a neck. I would suggest the Seaside aquatics CS2 skimmer or the JNS sk2. I have the JNS on my 75 now and absolutely love it.

I was under the impression that the CS2 and the NAC8 were basically the same skimmer with a different pump. Now you have me worried! I bought the NAC8 while I was waiting for you to answer :headwally:

mojo~
11/16/2011, 06:30 PM
you will be fine. dont sweat it. The neck connection and pump are slightly different. Post some pics up when you get it.

Mojo~

Danzig
11/17/2011, 12:49 AM
Hi, im new to RC and Saltwater and im looking for a good HOB skimmer for my 90 gallon tank. Im looking for the best value i can get.. i need a good balance between quality/price as i dont have lots of money to drop. If anyone could help me out and has experience with HOB skimmers please let me know!

-=James=-
11/17/2011, 01:02 AM
the sro 3000 int would be the way to go. IT will be worth the extra money.

Thanks mojo. One more question!

SRO 3000 (rated 300gal) or Bubble Magus BM-180 CS (rated 185-240gallon)? Price is the same.

Danzig
11/17/2011, 12:50 PM
Hi, im new to RC and Saltwater and im looking for a good HOB skimmer for my 90 gallon tank. Im looking for the best value i can get.. i need a good balance between quality/price as i dont have lots of money to drop. If anyone could help me out and has experience with HOB skimmers please let me know!

Can anyone help me w this?

mojo~
11/17/2011, 06:50 PM

The Aquamaxx HOB is a great value. The SRO hob is a good one too but a little more money.

gdiamondback
11/17/2011, 06:57 PM
I am upgrading from a Red Sea Max to 40 breeder with a 20gal high sump. What skimmer would you recommend. I have a tunze 9002 scimmer currently. Do you think I could continue to use that? I think it will pull better in the sump because the levels are more constant. If not what would your reccommend?
I am not going to run a refregium only a skimmer section and a return.

O yea a mixed reef. Mostly Lps dominant some sps.

Thanks,

Vern

mojo~
11/17/2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks mojo. One more question!

SRO 3000 (rated 300gal) or Bubble Magus BM-180 CS (rated 185-240gallon)? Price is the same.

I woldstill get the sro 3000

mojo~
11/17/2011, 07:06 PM
I am upgrading from a Red Sea Max to 40 breeder with a 20gal high sump. What skimmer would you recommend. I have a tunze 9002 scimmer currently. Do you think I could continue to use that? I think it will pull better in the sump because the levels are more constant. If not what would your reccommend?
I am not going to run a refregium only a skimmer section and a return.

O yea a mixed reef. Mostly Lps dominant some sps.

Thanks,

Vern

the 9002 will be just fine. I would just keep that and save your money.

gdiamondback
11/17/2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

NyReefNoob
11/17/2011, 07:40 PM
i just have to say this, out of the twenty something skimmers ive had, my vertex alpha 200 is a beast. best skimmer ive owned, but still wanna try a atb one day

mojo~
11/17/2011, 07:54 PM
the 840 would probably be a better fit on a 80g than the 200.

Danzig
11/18/2011, 01:49 AM
The Aquamaxx HOB is a great value. The SRO hob is a good one too but a little more money.

Thanks for the reply ; )

joemelo
11/18/2011, 09:42 AM
mojo.
i'm getting a 250 gallon tank. i have a 70 gallon sump.

I'm not going to be heavy stocked fish wise but I do have quite a bit of lps.

I was looking at the bubble magnus nac9 or JNS SK-2 In-Sump Protein Skimmers

any input is appreciated.

I wasn't trying to break the bank on this one but I wanted something middle class.

shiver905
11/18/2011, 06:10 PM
hey mojo!

I have a 90g cube tank.
And another 30g Sump.

Right now there is 1 tang in it.
and feed 2x a week lighty.
Im currently running a Bubble Magus Bm100

Im about to upgrade skimmers and restock my fish.
I also have very minimum LR.

Im wondering if the ASM g5 will workout for me.
It scares me because its such an old skimmer. Has skimmer tech changed or am i Ok with the asm g5?

Im getting this used at a good price.

thanks MOJO!

NyReefNoob
11/18/2011, 07:16 PM
the asm g5 will be too much skimmer for that tank shiver

Cosmo^Kramer
11/18/2011, 09:31 PM
Anyone have any experience with nano reef systems skimmers?

brob22
11/18/2011, 09:35 PM
hi mojo,

how many inches would u recommend running the sro 1000
would that be the same as the sump saver 1000 depth? anyway im running it at about 5 1/3 inch
also is there a skimmer that u think would be significantly better for my 65 gallon tank in terms of performance than my sro 1000?
thanks

mojo~
11/20/2011, 06:44 PM
the sro sss can run deeper than the internal. the market is really bare for really high end small skimmers. THe skimzor WM 121 is good, the sro 1000, the reef dynamics in 80. They are all pretty good for the smaller rreefs.

SkullV
11/20/2011, 06:53 PM
you will be fine. dont sweat it. The neck connection and pump are slightly different. Post some pics up when you get it.

Mojo~

Out with the old, in with the new:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/rockyrubicon/Fish%20Tank/75g%20Tank%20Build/IMG_0059.jpg

DownwardDawg
11/21/2011, 03:16 PM
What water depth is needed for the SRO-2000INT? I'm fed up trying to buy a skimmer. I ordered the Aquamaxx AM 250 about 4 weeks ago. I was told it was discontinued. I found out later it wasn't but it was on back order until sometime in December, but it was dery difficult to find online and all that made me weary. So, 3 weeks ago I ordered a Trigger Systems Bursa to go in my Ruby sump. I found out today that they will not be available until next year. I don't trust customer service with either of these prodeucts now. :headwallblue:

How about Bubble Magus vs SRO 2000INT? I'm at a loss.

phyber
11/21/2011, 04:02 PM
Double post

phyber
11/21/2011, 04:03 PM
AnyOne know of a good hob cone/cylinder skimmer aside from eshopps and coral life? Trying to replace a noisy nano remora. Is a regular remorA quieter? Yes I've done the silence mods to it

SkullV
11/21/2011, 04:08 PM
AnyOne know of a good hob cone/cylinder skimmer aside from eshopps and coral life? Trying to replace a noisy nano remora. Is a regular remorA quieter? Yes I've done the silence mods to it

Bubble Magus NAC5E.

DownwardDawg
11/21/2011, 04:29 PM
Bubble Magus NAC5E.

Tell me about the NAC8. Would it work for my 125? How about performance and customer service?

SkullV
11/21/2011, 04:42 PM
Tell me about the NAC8. Would it work for my 125? How about performance and customer service?

First impression? It will work well, although I have only been running it for 48 hours now so I couldn't really tell you. Real Bubble Magus (Seaside Aquatics is the US distributor) customer service is awful. However Tom at SoCal Tropical Fish Outlet is awesome and has every part and all the knowledge you could need.

DownwardDawg
11/21/2011, 05:59 PM
First impression? It will work well, although I have only been running it for 48 hours now so I couldn't really tell you. Real Bubble Magus (Seaside Aquatics is the US distributor) customer service is awful. However Tom at SoCal Tropical Fish Outlet is awesome and has every part and all the knowledge you could need.

Thanks for the feedback.

mojo~
11/21/2011, 06:35 PM
What water depth is needed for the SRO-2000INT? I'm fed up trying to buy a skimmer. I ordered the Aquamaxx AM 250 about 4 weeks ago. I was told it was discontinued. I found out later it wasn't but it was on back order until sometime in December, but it was dery difficult to find online and all that made me weary. So, 3 weeks ago I ordered a Trigger Systems Bursa to go in my Ruby sump. I found out today that they will not be available until next year. I don't trust customer service with either of these prodeucts now. :headwallblue:

How about Bubble Magus vs SRO 2000INT? I'm at a loss.

The 2000 is great run it at 6inches. The Sea Side Aquatics CS2 is great too and in stock. Also the JNS sk2

mojo~
11/21/2011, 06:36 PM

The Aquamaxx H1 and the SRO hang on are some of the best available now.

mojo~
11/21/2011, 06:39 PM
I have not had any bad issues with customer service with sea side products. It just depends on who you get your items through I reacon. Tom at Socal is great to deal with for sure.

for the 125 You should check out the Sea Side cs2 or the jns sk2. Both are really nice units.

DownwardDawg
11/21/2011, 07:05 PM
I have not had any bad issues with customer service with sea side products. It just depends on who you get your items through I reacon. Tom at Socal is great to deal with for sure.

for the 125 You should check out the Sea Side cs2 or the jns sk2. Both are really nice units.

Thanks a lot mojo. It's been hell tryin to buy a skimmer! It sound like you like Sea Side much better than the Octopus.

DownwardDawg
11/21/2011, 07:09 PM
Man that jns is Uuuuugggllly!!!!!! I kinda like ugly though.

DownwardDawg
11/21/2011, 07:16 PM

What's the water depth required for the CS2 and the SK2? I think my sump will run 8" - 10". (It's 10" according to the website)

brob22
11/21/2011, 11:53 PM
the sro sss can run deeper than the internal. the market is really bare for really high end small skimmers. THe skimzor WM 121 is good, the sro 1000, the reef dynamics in 80. They are all pretty good for the smaller rreefs.

thanks mojo

last question, i promis. if i added a bubbleking mini 180 gen2 would that be a good fit/up grade for my 65 gallon medium stocked tank.

reefernutz
11/22/2011, 07:06 AM
Has anyone ever done any mods on H&S skimmers? I have an A200-1260 and I'm trying to cut down on the turbulence in the neck. I was thinking about trying to glue a 45 on where the Eheim shoots the bubbles back into the skimmer to cut down on the turbulence. Any other ideas?

ken6217
11/22/2011, 10:45 AM
Does anyone have any good information about this skimmer? I currently am using a Bubble Magnus 3.5 for a 39 gallon with 10 gallon sump SPS tank. Would this skimmer be a better bet? How is this skimmer in comparison to the Skimz 121 for my size tank.

Thanks,
Ken

ken6217
11/23/2011, 11:06 AM
I just bought and received the Warner Marine MF 121 skimmer. Looks to be well made. It came with no instructions. Does anyone know why it has a thumb screw that you could screw down into the air suction. Is this on purpose to cut back on the air if u wish? Where on the skimmer or neck do you want to water/bubble level to be?

Thanks,
Ken

dontgetbit
11/23/2011, 12:22 PM
I am setting up a 20 long and plan to use a 10g sump. This will be my first sump/skimmer setup, so I need some suggestions on a skimmer for this setup.

I know I am limited with the small sump but have been looking at some HOB skimmer options that will fit over the end of the 10g.

I found a used Reef Octopus BH-100SS but have no idea if this would fit my setup.

What skimmers would you recommend?

Tamw1se
11/23/2011, 12:50 PM
I'm new to RC and Saltwater and need advice. I'm looking at the Vertex Alpha 250 ($1050) for my 210 g but may have the opportunity to get a used Vertex Alpha 200 in mint condition for $550. I intend on starting out with a FOLR but ultimately invision moving into the reef arena. Any suggestions on which route I should take with the skimmer?

reeftivo
11/23/2011, 01:55 PM
Does anyone have any good information about this skimmer? I currently am using a Bubble Magnus 3.5 for a 39 gallon with 10 gallon sump SPS tank. Would this skimmer be a better bet? How is this skimmer in comparison to the Skimz 121 for my size tank.

Thanks,
Ken

mojo did a great review a while back with somewhat of a prototype.

From the review, it should be a very good performing skimmer with small footprint

I will be getting mine in december

The prototypes had a different NW and they have changed it since the MACNA show so they are quieter. I'm not sure if the change of the NW has decreased the air numbers though.

I'm sure mojo will chime in with better info.

Tivo

austin93
11/23/2011, 02:20 PM
So its shopping time and i need a skimmer i think. I am looking to upgrade mine from a 2008 swc 200 with upgraded octopus pinwheel impeller to maybe an avast cs1. I have a heavy stocked 150 sps tank w 40 breeder sump. My problem now is my tank is not heavily loaded currently with 3 tangs & about 8 other small fish. I dont know if this is the reason or not, but i dont get much skimmate. I have the tube all the way up and still dont get much. I am on a tight budget so would appreciate you advice if the avast would improve my tank, if i should keep what i have, or get another skimmer per your recommendation. Thank you for your help.

ken6217
11/23/2011, 03:34 PM

From the review, it should be a very good performing skimmer with small footprint

The prototypes had a different NW and they have changed it since the MACNA show so they are quieter. I'm not sure if the change of the NW has decreased the air numbers though.

Tivo

I received it today. Looks well made. I spoke to John Warner yesterday and he said that it draws 720 lph. I believe the Skimz was less.
Ken

reeftivo
11/23/2011, 03:45 PM
yes, the skimz is in the 500 range so the MF should kick some booty. You may want to start your own thread on it because I believe many are on the fence since there really isn't alot of user experience out there yet.

Treg
11/23/2011, 08:35 PM
I'm new to RC and Saltwater and need advice. I'm looking at the Vertex Alpha 250 ($1050) for my 210 g but may have the opportunity to get a used Vertex Alpha 200 in mint condition for $550. I intend on starting out with a FOLR but ultimately invision moving into the reef arena. Any suggestions on which route I should take with the skimmer?

Hi Tamw1se, Welcome to RC.

I have been using an Alpha 200 on my 240g display for about the past year and a half, with very good results. It is one of the nicer built skimmers that I have owned and I have owned many. Air production (from my 200 anyway) is well above advertised, Its a great bang for the buck size compared to the 250. Unless you plan on adding large water volume in the future or having a high fish load in your FOWLR, the 200 will work very well for you. I personally feel the line between the two is in the 275g-300g range and would depend even more on the fish load...

I Just added water volume to my system last week, Pushing 320g now and I would also like to add more fish soon. So I feel that I (might) push the limits of the 200 and have a larger skimmer coming in the mail this week... But I still wonder if an upgrade is needed.

Saltwatercoral2
11/25/2011, 03:06 AM
whats the better pump the bubble blaster or the pumps that the sea side aquatics use?

Esardog
11/25/2011, 03:14 PM
I have this skimmer and really need to put it in the sump. Is there a problem with doing this and if not --- do I still need a feed pump or will it maintain the necessary water from the sump? Thanks for the help.

Eddie

bennr
11/25/2011, 03:19 PM
is anyone running a deltec apf 600??? i am....not bad so far....would like to try a lifereef skimmer....pm me if anyone has experience with either

bprinehart
11/25/2011, 03:29 PM
Hey mojo~ just wanted to follow up. I ended up going with the SRO 1000int. Wow what a beast! This thing blew my old H&S A110 out of the water. I was pulling some serious gunk out of the water after about a week, with no fish load yet either. I will say it is VERY picky about water depth for consistent production and overflowing etc. 4.5 was the sweet spot for me, but for a > $300 skimmer I am amazed. Anyone hesitant don't be. These skimmers rock.

Treg
11/25/2011, 09:57 PM
is anyone running a deltec apf 600??? i am....not bad so far....would like to try a lifereef skimmer....pm me if anyone has experience with either

As long as it fits your system OK, keep the Deltec... A Lifereef would be a downgrade. (I've had both)

That Deltec is a great little skimmer.

SunkAA
11/25/2011, 11:44 PM
Hi Mojo -

A while back ago I posted that my, then 4 week old ATB 840 skimmer, was dumping a ton of microbubbles into the display tank. I since then made a 2" skimmer stand to try and adjust the amount of tension from the pump. Its been running this way ever since, still dumping an unacceptable amount of microbubbles into the tank. The skimmer has been running now for 6 months, pulls out a good amount of skimmate - actually performs great, but still just loves dumping the MBs! I am running biopellets with the output placed in close proximity to the skimmer pump input (running ATB's BPs ironically). Could the chemical reaction from the carbon source cause the MBs from the skimmer? I am running out of ideas, need to remedy this soon - I am going nuts here!

mojo~
11/26/2011, 08:57 AM
What's the water depth required for the CS2 and the SK2? I think my sump will run 8" - 10". (It's 10" according to the website)

the jnscan run a little deeper than the cs2. around 8 in on the ssa cs2 but the the jns couldprobably go to 10in.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 08:59 AM
thanks mojo

last question, i promis. if i added a bubbleking mini 180 gen2 would that be a good fit/up grade for my 65 gallon medium stocked tank.

the 180 is way to large for a 65. The 160 would be good if you were heavily stocked. ... they are nice for sure.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 09:02 AM

Thanks,
Ken

Theskimmers are built very well and run well. The pumps are just not proven yet. time will tell.

if your 39 is well stocked then it would be fine.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 09:06 AM
I just bought and received the Warner Marine MF 121 skimmer. Looks to be well made. It came with no instructions. Does anyone know why it has a thumb screw that you could screw down into the air suction. Is this on purpose to cut back on the air if u wish? Where on the skimmer or neck do you want to water/bubble level to be?

Thanks,
Ken

run it wide open at first. This is there so later after the skimmer is broke in you can dial it back ever so slightly to fine tun the bubble size in the neck. if you close it too much you will hinder perfomance. but if tuned correctly you can improve bubble size a little and actually helps things a little.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 09:10 AM
I am setting up a 20 long and plan to use a 10g sump. This will be my first sump/skimmer setup, so I need some suggestions on a skimmer for this setup.

I know I am limited with the small sump but have been looking at some HOB skimmer options that will fit over the end of the 10g.

I found a used Reef Octopus BH-100SS but have no idea if this would fit my setup.

What skimmers would you recommend?

with a small tank you will want to make sure whatever skimmer you use has a smaller neck. The best bang for your buck at this size IMO is still the Tunze 9002. Very basic simple to use and tried and true.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 09:12 AM

The 200 is a really good size skimmer. IMO its better balanced than the 250 and would work just fine on your setup. I would save your $$ ad get the 200 over the 250 for sure.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 09:14 AM

Tivo

Yeap tivo is spot on. And the change wasnt really in the pinwheel itself. it was a larger magnet. ITs longer. I believe it to be the same as the one in the 2800 pump. it works much better.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 09:18 AM
So its shopping time and i need a skimmer i think. I am looking to upgrade mine from a 2008 swc 200 with upgraded octopus pinwheel impeller to maybe an avast cs1. I have a heavy stocked 150 sps tank w 40 breeder sump. My problem now is my tank is not heavily loaded currently with 3 tangs & about 8 other small fish. I dont know if this is the reason or not, but i dont get much skimmate. I have the tube all the way up and still dont get much. I am on a tight budget so would appreciate you advice if the avast would improve my tank, if i should keep what i have, or get another skimmer per your recommendation. Thank you for your help.

I assume you have the normal swc 200 with the octo 3000 turbine pump. These move a ton of water. The pumps do wear out. So this may be the issue for the lack of performance. But if you have your mind set on the avast It would do great on your tank. It was a little large for my 75g that I have but I have a light load still.

I had the smoked acrylic body on mine... ITs looks really cool but if I would buy it again I would get the clear acrylic. ITs hard to see in the body for adjustment.

Mojo~

mojo~
11/26/2011, 09:28 AM
yes, the skimz is in the 500 range so the MF should kick some booty. You may want to start your own thread on it because I believe many are on the fence since there really isn't alot of user experience out there yet.

The 2000 pump pulls around 500 to 600 lph of air. It works well but the first ones had some start issues... the newer magnet fixed most to all of this.

The 2800 eden pump was rated at 720 lph. I have found that it pulled more than rated IT was around 1000 lph. But I also found that if I dailed it back with the air adjustment to 700 to 750lph the skimmer performed a little better. As you dial the air down it allows the skimmer pump to pull more water in.

the 5000 pump is the best of the 3 eden pumps out there for sure. IT is quiet and bult really similar to a askol and bubble blaster pump. It has no through shaft. the pinwheel assembly has a bearing on it like the askol pump.

The 500 pump I was using was rated for 960 lph but found mine pulling just over 1200 lph of air. But again peak skimmer performance was around 1000.

I hope this is helpful for some of you. The cone models of the same # use the next size down pump over there cylinder counterpart. For examply the SM201 uses the 5000 pump. The SK 201 uses the 2800 pump. They all work great. Very nice skimmers. With the WM line available now it is nice to have some one in the us to talk too for warranty issues.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 09:41 AM
whats the better pump the bubble blaster or the pumps that the sea side aquatics use?

They are both good. I wouldnt say one is better than the other. Just different.

madean
11/26/2011, 09:49 AM
Hey mojo which brand of pumps do you think are the least noisest

mojo~
11/26/2011, 09:54 AM
I have this skimmer and really need to put it in the sump. Is there a problem with doing this and if not --- do I still need a feed pump or will it maintain the necessary water from the sump? Thanks for the help.

Eddie

you can run it internal and yes you still have to run the feed pump.

wicz101
11/26/2011, 10:51 AM
Hey mojo,

Please help, I am in need of your expert opinion. I need the best skimmer I can get for my 90 gallon display w/ a 40 gallon sump.(mixed reef some softies, some sps but mostly lps) the sump section is a little small 9 x 13. Would like to to stay at around $300 but can stretch it a little b/c I don't want to have to buy twice. I have read that it is best to go plus 1 or double the skimmer rating b/c the tank will be bare bottom. Am I going to big??No upgrade planned. I have seen that you are recommending the seaside aquatics cs1 or is the cs2 a better choice?? I like the looks of the sro-200int but it is little high on price but willing to send if it's better for my tank in the long run. Would like to have the ability to run a heavy bio load someday. I am open to ANY recommendations. If I could something used for the right price that would be nice, but I haven't got lucky on that end.

Thanks

cubsfan16
11/26/2011, 11:39 AM
Mojo, advice please, I am having some second thoughts on weather I bought enough skimmer. I have a 90gal display (SPS Heavy Bioload) with a 30gal sump...I would estimate total H2O volume around 100gal. I have a 9"X11" space in my sump for a skimmer and currently am running a BM NA6A. I just ordered a a Skimz SM 161 from Aquacave last night and was debating hard on stepping up to the SM 201 but would have to do some sump modifications to make it fit. I plan at some point to move to a 120gal display but not in the foreseeable future. Do I have plenty of skimmer with the SM161? Should this be a considerable upgrade from the BM NA6A? Thanks!!

Esardog
11/26/2011, 01:19 PM
you can run it internal and yes you still have to run the feed pump.

Thank you, mojo-- is it possible to run a line off my drain line to feed this skimmer -- i am using a dart for my return in a 300gal or should I get a separate pump?

eddie

mojo~
11/26/2011, 06:52 PM
Hey mojo,

Please help, I am in need of your expert opinion. I need the best skimmer I can get for my 90 gallon display w/ a 40 gallon sump.(mixed reef some softies, some sps but mostly lps) the sump section is a little small 9 x 13. Would like to to stay at around $300 but can stretch it a little b/c I don't want to have to buy twice. I have read that it is best to go plus 1 or double the skimmer rating b/c the tank will be bare bottom. Am I going to big??No upgrade planned. I have seen that you are recommending the seaside aquatics cs1 or is the cs2 a better choice?? I like the looks of the sro-200int but it is little high on price but willing to send if it's better for my tank in the long run. Would like to have the ability to run a heavy bio load someday. I am open to ANY recommendations. If I could something used for the right price that would be nice, but I haven't got lucky on that end.

Thanks

The ssa cs1 will work just fine. if it was really heavy stocked then I would say jump to the cs2. THe SRO 2000 int is a good choice too. Just depends on what you are looking for. I wouldnt hesitate to run the SSA cs1 on your tank at all.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 06:55 PM
Mojo, advice please, I am having some second thoughts on weather I bought enough skimmer. I have a 90gal display (SPS Heavy Bioload) with a 30gal sump...I would estimate total H2O volume around 100gal. I have a 9"X11" space in my sump for a skimmer and currently am running a BM NA6A. I just ordered a a Skimz SM 161 from Aquacave last night and was debating hard on stepping up to the SM 201 but would have to do some sump modifications to make it fit. I plan at some point to move to a 120gal display but not in the foreseeable future. Do I have plenty of skimmer with the SM161? Should this be a considerable upgrade from the BM NA6A? Thanks!!

Na you will be ok with the 161. The sm161 uses the larger 2800 pump which is the same pump they use in the sk201. It will be just fine. Yes it will be an upgrade. it will cycle a little more water and a good amount more air. I would stay with what you ordered. I had the sm 201 and its pretty good size. I had it on a 6ft 125 tank and it was more than enough skimmer for that tank.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 06:56 PM
Thank you, mojo-- is it possible to run a line off my drain line to feed this skimmer -- i am using a dart for my return in a 300gal or should I get a separate pump?

eddie

you can but I would never suggest doing that. if it surges at all then your skimmer will overflow.

garygb
11/26/2011, 07:29 PM
Mojo, I am looking for a good quality skimmer for a 60 gallon display tank with ~12 gallons in the sump. As far as bioload, whatever 3 full sized silversides per week would qualify as (I'd say moderate to high). Price is a consideration, but I'd like to hear the best choices and then decide which one I'm going to go with.

Thank you in advance,
Gary

reefnewbie83177
11/26/2011, 07:33 PM
Hey Mojo,
Posted this in a new thread, but just found this thread. I am setting up a 90 gallon reef with a 30 gallon sump. Looking for a good quality skimmer and found a few reviews on the Cad Lights TIA-1220. Any thoughts on this Skimmer? Very few review on this one, but the specs sound quite nice. Thanks for you help and input.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 07:43 PM
Mojo, I am looking for a good quality skimmer for a 60 gallon display tank with ~12 gallons in the sump. As far as bioload, whatever 3 full sized silversides per week would qualify as (I'd say moderate to high). Price is a consideration, but I'd like to hear the best choices and then decide which one I'm going to go with.

Thank you in advance,
Gary

The sea side cs1 would be good as well as the SRO 1000 . THose are the 2 I would be looking at.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 07:50 PM
Hey Mojo,
Posted this in a new thread, but just found this thread. I am setting up a 90 gallon reef with a 30 gallon sump. Looking for a good quality skimmer and found a few reviews on the Cad Lights TIA-1220. Any thoughts on this Skimmer? Very few review on this one, but the specs sound quite nice. Thanks for you help and input.

well it looks like a knock off of the sc series that are on ebay that are Bubble magus Knock offs. All are pretty inexpensive skimmers. I would pass on them for now. Main reason is I had poor at best customer service on my order from them. Spent around $1000 on my order and could never get the same story twice from them. I would not want that service again on a skimmer or a tank.

I can only speak from past experience.

There are just so many other skimmers to spend your money on that I have had great experience with as well as good customer serive. Thats where I would be spending my money.

reefnewbie83177
11/26/2011, 07:54 PM
well it looks like a knock off of the sc series that are on ebay that are Bubble magus Knock offs. All are pretty inexpensive skimmers. I would pass on them for now. Main reason is I had poor at best customer service on my order from them. Spent around $1000 on my order and could never get the same story twice from them. I would not want that service again on a skimmer or a tank.

I can only speak from past experience.

There are just so many other skimmers to spend your money on that I have had great experience with as well as good customer serive. Thats where I would be spending my money.

Thanks for that info. Do you have any that you would recommend for my setup. I would like to get a skimmer that will handle a heavy bioload, even though at first it will be light. I want something that will last and that I won't have to upgrade a couple months down the line.

mojo~
11/26/2011, 08:10 PM
The Sea Side cs2, the JNS SK2, and the SRO 2000 would be my top 3 choices with what is out there right now.

Saltwatercoral2
11/26/2011, 08:13 PM
I just bought a Cadlights 70 gallon, 36" long x 24" front to back x 18" high. Its rimless, so around 65 gallons, plan on having about a 30 gallon sump. Question is.. What skimmer should I look into getting? Decently priced. Thanks!

reefnewbie83177
11/26/2011, 08:27 PM
The Sea Side cs2, the JNS SK2, and the SRO 2000 would be my top 3 choices with what is out there right now.

I like the specs on the JNS SK2. Are this being labeled here in NA as AquaMaxx Cone Series?

chercm
11/26/2011, 09:33 PM
any idea why my skimmer have such smelly skimate ? even my wife is complaining

bif24701
11/27/2011, 03:01 PM
I have an ETSS Sump buddy skimmer and every morning it loses its foam head for hours. Not until the late evening does the foam return. Is this common to ETSS skimmers, all skimmers, or is there some problem? I've removed my filter socks and installed this trap to calm my skimmer section. I just don't understand why it won't skim during the day. So frustrating.
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa456/Aaron_Wasson/IMAG0654.jpg

bif24701
11/27/2011, 08:14 PM
bump

garygb
11/27/2011, 11:21 PM
Thank you Mojo for your suggestions. I ordered the SRO 1000.

cubsfan16
11/28/2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks Mojo, I was a little skeptical after reading your concerns about the 2800 pump but it sounds like this was resolved....is there a way to tell if the unit I receive has the updated magnet assembly? Thanks!

Na you will be ok with the 161. The sm161 uses the larger 2800 pump which is the same pump they use in the sk201. It will be just fine. Yes it will be an upgrade. it will cycle a little more water and a good amount more air. I would stay with what you ordered. I had the sm 201 and its pretty good size. I had it on a 6ft 125 tank and it was more than enough skimmer for that tank.

ironsnake
11/28/2011, 04:27 PM
Hi Mojo, I need your advice. I am planning to set up an Oceanic 120G with a Rubbermaid 70G stock tank as a sump. A friend of mine who left the hobby gave me his My Reef Creations MR-2, but it's a beast and it's external only. Also, I'm looking the need to spend $200 for a PanWorld 150PS external pump to push enough into it. What I'm planning to keep is mostly softies and LPS. It will be heavily stocked with fish though. I also am not planning to have a refugium.

I'd like to have everything internal loop so I don't have to drill into the stock tank. Is there anything as good or better than the MR-2 in the range of $200 to $300 that will satisfy my bio-load?

Thank you very much!

pascal32
11/28/2011, 06:42 PM
thanks for the help with skimmers! What are your thoughts on a skimmer for deep dimension 200? The stand is only 29" tall which makes the reef octopus a hard fit. I haven't seen the inside of the stand yet, probably 2-3" off the ground and another inch lost at the top leaving 26" from the bottom of the sump to the top of the stand. The sump is undecided so there is flexibility there.

Tank will be LPS with medium fish.

thanks!

mojo~
11/28/2011, 07:30 PM
I just bought a Cadlights 70 gallon, 36" long x 24" front to back x 18" high. Its rimless, so around 65 gallons, plan on having about a 30 gallon sump. Question is.. What skimmer should I look into getting? Decently priced. Thanks!

The vertex in 100, bm nac 6 and then the Sea side cs1 would be really good for your tank. The Octo xs 160 as well.

mojo~
11/28/2011, 07:33 PM
I like the specs on the JNS SK2. Are this being labeled here in NA as AquaMaxx Cone Series?

There are both here in NA. I got mine from socal tropical. But yes the aquamaxx cone series is the exact same thing.

mojo~
11/28/2011, 07:38 PM
any idea why my skimmer have such smelly skimate ? even my wife is complaining

its basically poo. So I would imagine it would stink. All Nog stinks for the most part. You can get a lid with carbon in it to reduce the smell. or some have even put a teaspoon of bleach in the bottom of there collection cup. But if your cup over flows you are doomed.

mojo~
11/28/2011, 07:44 PM
bump

do you dose anything? I have had the same exact skimmer. Never had that issue. do you feed at that time ? ect..

mojo~
11/28/2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks Mojo, I was a little skeptical after reading your concerns about the 2800 pump but it sounds like this was resolved....is there a way to tell if the unit I receive has the updated magnet assembly? Thanks!

the 2800 pump did not get an upgrade as it did not have restart issues like the 2000 pump did. it has a noise issue that is suppose to be fixed.

mojo~
11/28/2011, 07:50 PM
Hi Mojo, I need your advice. I am planning to set up an Oceanic 120G with a Rubbermaid 70G stock tank as a sump. A friend of mine who left the hobby gave me his My Reef Creations MR-2, but it's a beast and it's external only. Also, I'm looking the need to spend $200 for a PanWorld 150PS external pump to push enough into it. What I'm planning to keep is mostly softies and LPS. It will be heavily stocked with fish though. I also am not planning to have a refugium.

I'd like to have everything internal loop so I don't have to drill into the stock tank. Is there anything as good or better than the MR-2 in the range of $200 to $300 that will satisfy my bio-load?

Thank you very much!

The Vertex in 180. It has a large enough body and moves enough water to take care of your volume. Its price in your range and is one of the best balanced of the vertex in series. ITs really nice. you could also go with a AVAST cs1, or a Octo XS 200. The sea side aquaticsCS2 would be great but its just over $300 349 i think.