PDA

View Full Version : Pet flambouyant cuttle from Aus.

Saltliquid
03/03/2009, 06:57 AM
Hi all.

Just wanted to show off my cuttle I caught on one of our club (aandtsociety) collecting trips here in bris last year in 20 feet of water.

I hope you enjoy seeing it as much as I enjoy having it.

Top pet,smart as well.

Likes- fresh crabs.

Dislikes-sharing food with lion and stingray.

Bad habits-spits at its owner.

It is a weird but colour full pet!
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj198/aandtsociety/gallery/cuttle-fish-.jpg

zach jay
03/03/2009, 07:22 PM
how large is your tank? any more pictures?

Saltliquid
03/03/2009, 07:55 PM
The tube with the nasties in it, is three foot and there are three more three footers on the same system.

I will take a couple more pictures,unless it spits at me again.

Here is a pic that i took to use in a xmas comp.

It took a likeing to frosty and made sure nothing came near it,it was hard to get it back out.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj198/aandtsociety/Extras/frostyandcuttlebutjustfriendsholdin.jpg

Saltliquid
03/03/2009, 09:45 PM
Here you go zac jay.

I used the camera in the phone.

After the second pic it spat at me again.

I know it is only keen for food when it spits at me,but it gets salt on things when it does it.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj198/aandtsociety/Extras/cuttle-fish-a-and-volitan-.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj198/aandtsociety/Extras/cuttle-.jpg

FishyMel
03/05/2009, 08:17 PM
Great tank! How many gallons is the tank? I love stingrays, lions, and cuttles. I didn't know cuttles could have tankmates.

Animal Mother
03/06/2009, 10:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14545486#post14545486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishyMel
I didn't know cuttles could have tankmates.

They shouldn't.

Saltliquid
03/07/2009, 06:31 PM
This one isn't so bad as the others (i assume)know it is toxic in the colours it displays.

I think they know that its colours mean it has the same toxin as a blue ringed ocy in its flesh,so do not chew.

The way they all want the same crab or shrimp when i feed them is so funny they all try to ambush it at once and the pour cuttle has to line up its projectile feeding thing and once it has,someone has eaten it allready.

If i had the room i agree with what is said about putting it on it's own,as the lion and stingray get the food first so if i dont watch them feed and give some more when the lion and ray are full,the cuttle missies out.

I can hand feed it sometimes,but it spits on the surface,so i just watch and make sure.

Keep them on there own it would be easier!

Gary Majchrzak
03/07/2009, 06:42 PM
everything looks good except the Lionfish and Stingray in the same aquarium with the cuttle :)

micstarz
03/08/2009, 12:50 AM
You have a nice system, but the tiles look ugly...add some substrate!

And you can separate that cuttle easily by making a in-tank refugium with acrylic, like a jumbo-sized guppy fry box.

Give us some pics of the whole system!

Animal Mother
03/08/2009, 09:23 AM
Competition for food is one reason, housing a relatively rare animal with a potentially harmful fish like a lion is another.

Saltliquid
03/08/2009, 11:46 PM
I don't use a substrate,all of my bio and algae scrubbing are remote,in a way,though i do have some creatures living in the algae scrubber,a lot of peppermint shrimp,one little semi,until it gets a bit big and some small yellow feather stars.

I will never use a substrate intank again,they are the eventual source of lots of marine keepers probs,but thats just me.

The tank they are in is a tub that i have remote on the system from time to time.

The lion is slightly smaller than the cuttle and the stingray won't be there much longer,one of the clubbies wants it and it takes up to much room.

It's amazing,we went on a collecting trip two weeks after that trip when i collected the cuttle and found a pair of them doing there bit.

all i could think of was it is sad now because once they breed the male dies and later the female,thats sad.

oh well if everything lasted for ever it would be very crowded.

Animal Mother
03/09/2009, 12:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14568172#post14568172 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by liquidg

oh well if everything lasted for ever it would be very crowded.

Nah, humans would take care of that problem.

Thales
03/09/2009, 01:49 PM
all i could think of was it is sad now because once they breed the male dies and later the female,thats sad.

This is untrue for most species of cuttle, and is a holdover from thinking all cephalopods are the same. Male Metasepia do not die after mating, and the females do not die after laying eggs.

Saltliquid
03/10/2009, 10:05 PM
All info i have seen and that has been passed on to me was they breed and die.

Bugger,if i had known that i would have collected the pair that were up to naughty biusness a couple of weeks back,because of mine heaps of people i know want one now.

I will look a little further into that as i see a few from time to time and the reason i wouldn't normally bother getting them is that i was told they don't last long.

Two years max!

Thales
03/11/2009, 06:27 AM
Two years would be incredibly long - their average life span seems to be around a year. The one in your pic looks like a mature female, so it prolly doesn't have too much longer to live.

Saltliquid
03/11/2009, 07:44 PM
If what you say is true,than it isn't worth getting any more.

Thats a very short life span for a tank pet.

So they don't breed and die,but die very quickly anyway.

I will see what happens with it,they don't sound like it is worth changing my collecting methods to suit a couple of these to bring back.

Its up to the clubbies,if they still want one after i tell them you don't get long out of them.

see yah.

smootie
03/03/2010, 03:02 AM
Your flamboyant cuttle is just adorable! The Waikiki Aquarium had several on display last year. Unfortunately it was a temporary exhibit. Definitely one of the most attractive animals in the ocean!

Given our strict rules about imports, we Hawaiians could never have one of those. I'm sooo envious!

Kates
03/04/2010, 11:41 AM
The flamboyant cuttlefish is really stunning! You are lucky to live in an area where you can see and appreciate so many marine creatures in the wild! I really want to visit Australia, to see all that for myself-I'm just a bit nervous of running into a big shark:) altho I suppose that depends on the area you are diving in, maybe I'm paranoid...