PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Head Moray

aldiver311
03/03/2009, 08:26 AM
Does anyone have one? I have a chance to get one for a really good price 50 bucks and its about 16 inches in length. How aggressive are they? I have a 240 gallon with 2, 8 inch groupers, 7 inch gold heart trigger, 8 inch Queen angel, 9 inch Aust. Harlequin Tusk , 4 inch toad fish. Ive kept alot of eels but not this one. Any advice would be helpful thanks.

Mentat
03/03/2009, 09:15 AM
Most G. fimbriatus go from aggressive to very-aggressive and max out around 32 in. Also, would check eel doesn't fit in your grouper's mouths.

aldiver311
03/03/2009, 10:08 AM
Yea thats what I thought, thanks. I will probablty pass on it.

aldiver311
03/03/2009, 02:13 PM
I just got off the phone with the lady who owns it and its about 27 inches. She told me shes only had it for about 6 months but she bought it as a package deal with her tank from her friend. Who bought the eel as a baby 5 years ago. She also told me that she has small angels and a trigger (niger) in the tank with it and the eel is very passive. It has never eaten a live fish. Only frozen foods and has never even showed any agression towards any of its tank mates. I think I'll try and put it in my QT tank with 4 1.5 inch damsels and chromis. If it doesn't eat them I think I'll be good to go. What do you guys and gals think??

danorth
03/03/2009, 02:41 PM
You won't know until you try.

Megistos
03/03/2009, 02:58 PM
Many damsels are hard to catch. My money is on you losing the toadfish quickly after adding the eel.

G. fimbriatus in particular has a reputation for wiping out tanks of fish - one was sold from a LFS here at a size of about 8", was returned a month later at a size of about 14" after taking out most of its tankmates. It was kind of funny, the LFS owner was on the phone with the woman wanting to return it when it ate one of her gobies right in front of her. This species also has a reputation for being aggressive towards hands in the tank.