PDA

View Full Version : Protein skimmer (bubble level) help

reefin-rofin jr
03/03/2009, 08:28 AM
Hello,

I just purchased my first protein skimmer; a reef octopus (NW-150) Needle Wheel pump. It is sitting in my sump. For the past 3 DAYS I have been adjusting the bubble (foam) level inside the skimmer and have just mild evaporation water in the collection cup. at one point I have some brown residue (which is what u want, but forming in the chamber below the collection cup. I can not get the foam to move inside the neck part of the collection cup.
I have adjusted the bubbles as high as the water spill hose just below the collection cup.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Rjukan
03/03/2009, 08:35 AM
Hi, I'm no pro when it comes to skimmers, but how old is your setup? If it's new and your not cycling with uncured live rock there is a good chance it won't be producing any skimate now regardless of the setting. Someone else who has better experience will chime in.

reefin-rofin jr
03/03/2009, 08:57 AM
My 70 gallon tank is only 2 weeks old, and has about 20 pounds of live rock, and 3 damsels.
(I think u might be right about the setup as new as it is not able to produce any brown sediment?)

I also just had a massive outbreak of brown algae (diatoms) covering the rocks and gravel. I hope that this is a normal thing in the cycling period. I am just using tap water (till my RO/DI) arrives. I also heard that that it goes away on its own with less lighting or also adjusting the Ca buffer?

eb8919
03/03/2009, 09:01 AM
Diatoms are very normal in the beginning. Two weeks might be to soon to add the damsels, but either way damsels are quite hardy...hopefully for their sake your ammonia doesn't spike to high. Do you have a test kit to see where in the cycle you are?
What depth of water is the skimmer sitting in? What is the suggested depth for your skimmer?

svynx
03/03/2009, 09:08 AM
There isn't much for the skimmer to pull out yet. Plus it sounds like it's new, so the skimmer itself hasn't been broken in. Usually there is a coating of packing grease from the factory to help protect all the material, and it needs to be cleaned/worked off. I have that exact one, and it took about a week for it to start pulling stuff out of my tank (which had been set up for about 8 months). When adjusting the skimmer, only move the water level about 1/4" at a time, and then leave it there for 2 days.

Please take the damsels out. Even though they have a good chance surviving a cycle, they usually have a rough time. The water parameters could get toxic depending on how bad the cycle is. There are some people on here that would nag you on that one. Me...just a kind reminder.

reefin-rofin jr
03/03/2009, 10:52 AM
I first want thank you for the responses !!!

The instructions for the protein skimmer are very limited from the package (only provides a diagram to put together). I will try to adjust the bubbles a 1/4 and go from there. (Thank you)

As for the brown algae.......I am amazed (in a matter of 14 hours) how much the brown stuff spread. WOW........I do not have a test kit yet, the store where I bought my supplies is very helpful and they told me to bring in a water sample in about 4 weeks to see what I need to add.

FirstContact
03/03/2009, 01:47 PM
Sounds like the skimmer is producing. You wrote there's brown stuff in the neck. I guess we all want that to go into our collection cups. Lowering the skimmer might help if that's an option. Or raising the pump. Or shortening the distance b/w the pump and the skimmer. Also, water level in your sump will effect skimmer performance. Not sure how it all works, but I think the more water on top of the pump = greater pressure. The brown stuff in your tank might be diatom algae. SeaChem Purigen helped me.

Good Luck!