PDA

View Full Version : Lfs Water Readings?

toothadash
03/03/2009, 11:02 AM
Lately I have been testing the water from the bags that various critters etc I buy

My tank has not been runing for that long but still when I measure LFS water from 2 in fact the nitrate reading are 100 on my salifert test kits?

I know they have holding tanks for snails, crabs, starfish etc but why such high reading?

Rich

emilecilliers
03/03/2009, 11:28 AM
could it be that the small amount of water that the livestock is kept in(bags for transport) gets spikes of nitrate from the livestock being stressed during transit.

atwinparadox2
03/03/2009, 11:33 AM
ask them if you can test the water out of the tanks, that will rule out if it is just the bag or the whole systems at the LFS.

eros
03/03/2009, 11:44 AM
I've tested every nearby store that I buy livestock from. Most have very high nitrates. I dont live around the greatest stores so I'm sure it's bad husbandy on their part. I have had a few samples test low. I would expect the water you transport an animal to have an ammonia spike but not a nitrate spike. It tells you a lot about the store you are purchasing your livestock from.

MileHighFish
03/03/2009, 11:49 AM
I always take with me those simple dip test strips when Im at a LFS its stealthy and gives you an idea of whats going on, most stores out here in NM have nitrates, stores I dealt with in So-Cal have test near zero or zero.. ( I just moved a few months ago)

D_Hood87
03/03/2009, 12:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14525376#post14525376 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eros
I've tested every nearby store that I buy livestock from. Most have very high nitrates. I dont live around the greatest stores so I'm sure it's bad husbandy on their part. I have had a few samples test low. I would expect the water you transport an animal to have an ammonia spike but not a nitrate spike. It tells you a lot about the store you are purchasing your livestock from.
+1
IMO there is not near enough time for nitrite to show and no way in heck enough time for nitrate to spike even in the smallest bit...haha I like the quick dip method..I now have somthing new to try, thanks for the idea