PDA

View Full Version : Will I get a cycle

teddy
03/03/2009, 11:55 AM
Hi,

My tank, 37g, has been up and running for a 10 days now.

Day 1 I added the water and salt and left the salt to age for three days with the pump and powerhead running.

Day 4 I added 20lbs of live aragonite sand

Day 7 I added 40 lbs of fully cured live Fiji rock, journey time from LFS to the tank was 30 minutes and the rock was kept wet.

On day 8 I tested amonia, nitrite and nitrate, all read zero so I dropped in a cocktail shrimp.

Today my tank is teaming with pods so I took out the shrimp, tested again and all 3 are zero.

Other params are temp=80 degreesC, salinity = 35ppt and PH=8.2.

Do I add back the shrimp or should I just wait??

Next time I set up a tank I am definitely using uncured live rock because at least you know that you are cycling.

stingythingy45
03/03/2009, 12:01 PM
You can test the tank and bacteria colonies by over feeding a few days in a row and then testing for ammonia.
You definitely dont want to put anything in there without testing the cycle.Chances are you wont have one if the LR is that good.
But you could have a very limited amount of bacteria present in the tank to support much of a bioload.

WaterKeeper
03/03/2009, 12:17 PM
After 10 days I would say the LR was truly "fully" cured, not all that common in the hobby, and you are on your way to having a tank ready to stock. The shrimp thing is somewhat redundant as cured rock is the same as a cycled tank.

Darn another Brit, pretty soon the Dave Clark Five will be registering as members. :D

Better see Michael in the welcome thread at the top of the this forum.

teddy
03/04/2009, 07:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14525658#post14525658 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
After 10 days I would say the LR was truly "fully" cured, not all that common in the hobby, and you are on your way to having a tank ready to stock. The shrimp thing is somewhat redundant as cured rock is the same as a cycled tank.

Darn another Brit, pretty soon the Dave Clark Five will be registering as members. :D

Better see Michael in the welcome thread at the top of the this forum.

Thanks Waterkeeper,

Cycled already hey, I Knew It All The Time, but now you have confirmed it I feel Glad All Over.

Guess I'll just have to pop down to the LFS and pick up a few more Bits and Pieces and then I will be ready to add some fish.