PDA

View Full Version : Rhizotrochus Typus?

garrett_ta2000
03/03/2009, 01:50 PM
I bought a leather coral and it had a small Rhizo attached to the rock (about 1/2in. around). I have a 1200k t5 light and plenty of live rock in a 46gal. bow front. I know they don't like bright lighting so I set it in the shade and it seems to be doing a lil better. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advise on keeping it alive and well, cause i'd definately like to keep it. Can anyone help me?

Heart & Sole
03/03/2009, 01:59 PM
Thats a pretty good pick up. My LFS has one in there display tank and its pretty big. All they do is spot feed it various shrimp and silversides mixed together.

GoingPostal
03/03/2009, 03:30 PM
Are you sure it's a rhizo? Do you have a pic? Feed it a few times a week and it'll be fine.

Chibils
03/03/2009, 03:30 PM
They're more or less nps, so shade is good. Feed it a lot. They'll eat fish they can catch (which is generally only sick ones). Very nice score, they go for $250+.

oddballs
03/03/2009, 04:20 PM
Pics would be awesome if possible.Some of my guesses of what it could be besides a Rhizo would be Eusmillia (would be really cool because it is a Caribbean coral species).Also might be Cyathelia Sp. of some kind(member of family Oculinidae).They could also be one of the members of the family Caryophylliidae.Some of the species in this family look alot like small Rhizos.Phacelocyathus,Phylangia,Tracocyathus, and Paracyathus are all members of this family(I think all are azooxanthellate also).
Lastly it could be something from the family Rhizangiidea,maybe Calangia sp.,Atrangia sp. or Culicia sp. Most of the time these animals are colonial but sometimes they are found solo.
Hope that might help id your extra bonus on your leather frag .No matter what it ends up being it sounds like a cool find for sure!Thanks and please keep us up to date!

coralite
03/03/2009, 04:46 PM
There is no such thing as a legal Rhizotrochus, CITES permits have never been issued for this coral genus. There is no way that a leather could live in the same habitat as a rhizo and vice versa. Also, you definitely don't have Phyllangia or Eusmilia because these are Caribbean and leather corals are only imported from the Indo-Pacific. Tubastrea and Eguchipsammia are occasionally found on the rock base of imported corals and these are the likely genera you are dealing with.

stunreefer
03/03/2009, 09:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14527639#post14527639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralite
There is no way that a leather could live in the same habitat as a rhizo and vice versa. That was my first thought too Jake.

oddballs
03/04/2009, 08:42 AM
Picture?

thecichlidpleco
03/04/2009, 06:34 PM
Not likely

garrett_ta2000
03/05/2009, 12:53 AM
Dendrophylliidae. . .good call. . .I did a lil research and you guys were rite, thanks for helpin me out. . .some of you didn't need to be so spastic about it though. CHILL OUT!. . .but seriously thanks.

triton77
03/05/2009, 12:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14527639#post14527639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralite
There is no such thing as a legal Rhizotrochus, CITES permits have never been issued for this coral genus. There is no way that a leather could live in the same habitat as a rhizo and vice versa. Also, you definitely don't have Phyllangia or Eusmilia because these are Caribbean and leather corals are only imported from the Indo-Pacific. Tubastrea and Eguchipsammia are occasionally found on the rock base of imported corals and these are the likely genera you are dealing with.

Wow, you read my mind. Well put.

oddballs
03/05/2009, 01:31 PM
It sounds like a Cool score whatever it is.What color is it?Some of the coolest things that I have seen in this hobby have been extras or hitchikers on corals and liverock !Like I have said a pic would be cool!Good luck with it.

Chibils
03/05/2009, 03:06 PM
There is no such thing as a legal Rhizotrochus, CITES permits have never been issued for this coral genus. Then why can I buy dozens of them from reputable vendors? Are they all illegal?

nismo_32
03/05/2009, 05:00 PM
yeah.............

mangobusa83
03/06/2009, 02:11 AM
wow why do some people have to be so hateful this guy is just tryin to figure out what he had.... so calm down and try not to hate on him

oddballs
03/06/2009, 03:07 PM
I gotta agree with you on that!People on here tend to be pretty hateful at times.

Premiumaq
03/07/2009, 11:23 AM
Here's where you can just go to common sense for a moment, and things will all make sense. There may be no CITES permits for a given species of coral, yet it can legally enter our country. This is especially true of the majority of the solitary corals you all have mentioned (All of which are awesome and fascinating). Live rock enters our country by the ton weekly So long as the rock is claimed only as 'live rock' and not sold as organism-bearing rock, all of the hitchhikers basically get a free ride into the U.S. and the trade. If they're captive-propagated from that point, they're completely fair game!

coralite
03/07/2009, 11:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14556887#post14556887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saamath
There may be no CITES permits for a given species of coral, yet it can legally enter our country. This is especially true of the majority of the solitary corals you all have mentioned

This statement is absolutely false. The trade in all stony corals aka Scleractinia aka LPS and SPS corals are regulated under CITES. Especially the majority of solitary corals.

I am not hating, just informing.

nismo_32
03/07/2009, 12:03 PM
also on live rock the only rock that doesnt need cities is rock that is produced and seeded for live rock like the walt smith one. so unless things ave changed live rock also needs to be cities approved.

Chibils
03/07/2009, 06:44 PM
That still doesn't explain how rhizos are coming into the trade so easily now. Illegal?

jpa0741
03/07/2009, 09:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14559423#post14559423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chibils
That still doesn't explain how rhizos are coming into the trade so easily now. Illegal?

I also would like to know this. I find it hard to believe that all these listed online from well known retailers are illegal.

coralite
03/07/2009, 09:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14559423#post14559423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chibils

They are knowingly imported with the CITES permit for a different species, usually Euphyllia.

jpa0741
03/07/2009, 09:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14560494#post14560494 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralite
They are knowingly imported with the CITES permit for a different species, usually Euphyllia.

Well how are they selling them online for all to see and getting away with it?

garrett_ta2000
03/08/2009, 02:43 PM
sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been pretty busy this week. . .It's base is dark gray, the head is bright red with white around the edge, and the tenticles are a very transparent pink. . .Iwould take a pic but my camera kinda sucks when it comes to taking pics of my tank.

Premiumaq
03/11/2009, 09:43 PM
Live rock that bears a CITES permit from its origin site enters as 'live rock' and nothing else. If there happens to be anything on it, in it, or hiding in the box with it (2" red Indo cockroach was my latest find), so be it. Theoretically it's the responsibility of US Fish & Wildlife to prevent little unknowns from entering, but there are only so many agents, and so much imported rock. To clarify. I did not say that a non-permit coral can be knowingly brought across our border, and discourage harvest of any non-permits. I am saying that anything that is salvageable from a non-coral rock (rock that's sold only as 'live rock' at a 'per-pound' rate) does not need a CITES permit because it was not brought here on purpose, in the way that a fly riding on an airplane does not stop at customs... he just makes his way in.

HSHREDDER18
04/21/2009, 08:54 AM
does it look like mine

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194875