PDA

View Full Version : Feather Star any luck in captivity?

bsagecko
03/03/2009, 08:57 PM
Hello,

I recently got introduced into Feather Star's at a lfs.....

The store owner is a really nice guy and tries to get some 'unique' items into the store for 'special' customers

I was wondering realistically what is the chance of surivival and what measures can be taken to gurantee surivival of this organism.......

He is currently feeding cyclopleeze, plankton, and newly hatched brine shrimp and the star has surivived for 2 weeks within his tank so far.....is this a sign of success?

I would be placing the feather star into a 130g tank with a sump w/ skimmer but I do not have an established refugium.......

However I dont have any organism that consumes copepods or the like

I have various corals from softies,lps, and sps but no clams
I do have a Hawaiin feather duster

I have 5 fish

pair of clowns true perc onyx
coral beauty
regal tang
flame hawkfish.......

with VHO lighting

Does anyone see particular problems with my setup in addressing the needs of this species and does anyone have some omens or stories/information/advice they would like to share........I have not purchased the specimen yet......as the lfs wants to keep it for atleast another week for observation......

Thanks in advance for advice/info/warnings

I would be particularlly interested in successes with what food items

Thanks
Zack

SALT WATER CRAZ
03/03/2009, 09:25 PM
I only now of one person that has kept one for any length of time, It was a store that had 4 300 gallon coral tubs and a monster 900+ gallon sump.

bsagecko
03/04/2009, 05:47 AM
Any other advice/info

Thanks Salt Water Craz

~Zack

natereinhold1
03/04/2009, 07:47 AM
I don't have any experience with feather stars, but i did have a yellow basket star that unfourtunatly did not survive the 400 mile move.... But before hand i had it for 6-7 months, no problem. I found that they readily accept hikari mini pellets when feeding, They don't seem that much different than feather stars, but that doesn't mean that they aren't. What color is the star that you are looking at and if you do decide to get it, drip acclimate it for like 3-4 hours. hope that helped some.

bsagecko
03/04/2009, 04:33 PM
It is a dark green with some green highlights it is pretty amazing never seen anything like it...............

Hikari mini might work................

Any other information it has been a rumor that Anthony Calfo might have some experience with long-term survival does anyone know how I can contact him or read a published article that he has written about this particular species................

Keep the information coming

Thanks
Zack