PDA

View Full Version : Reef Octo NW200... Still no skimmate???

Vapour1ze
03/04/2009, 12:34 AM
Is this normal? I bought it used, but it was in MINT condition, he only used it for about 2 months, then it sat in his garage for a while....

It has now been running on my tank in about 7-9 in. of water in the sump and I have maybe a tablespoon of skimmate in the cup, and the cup is huge it doesnt even cover the bottom at all, Its been running for about 3 days now I'd say,, going on the fourth...... It is foaming, but no skimmate at all?

Input appreciated! Thanks!

Tswifty
03/04/2009, 12:41 AM
If the original owner cleaned it in vinegar you may have a short break in period. Also you need to set the water level in the skimmer, and let it sit for 24hrs... make small adjustments... let it sit... keep doing so until you get it dialed in.

Vapour1ze
03/04/2009, 12:48 AM
thats what the guy who sold me the skimmer just told me through a text, he said its adjustable,,,, but I dont see how? I tried moving the exit pipe up and down like he said, but it feels pretty sturdy... ideas?

Tswifty
03/04/2009, 12:50 AM
I'm not familiar with the Octopus skimmers, but bt may not go up and down, it may twist or utilize some type of valve to control the output from the skimmer.

More open... less water inside... dryer skimming

More closed... more/higher water level inside the skimmer... wetter skimming.

Vapour1ze
03/04/2009, 12:53 AM
Ok, I'll look into detail on it, but it would be on the exit pipe or something on the outlet of the pump into the skimmer?

Tswifty
03/04/2009, 12:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14531365#post14531365 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tehauthority
Ok, I'll look into detail on it, but it would be on the exit pipe
Correct.

Exit pipe.

carlso63
03/04/2009, 12:59 AM
You adjust the water height inside the skimmer by adjusting the standpipe outside the skimmer. You need to twist and pull up at the same time (there is an O-ring inside the standpipe so it may not move that easily at first).

You should have the internal water height set so that the waterline is right around the place where the "cone" part of the skimmer starts... the transition from the cylinder to the neck. Once set there, you can go a little higher if you want "wet" skimming; a littler lower for a drier foam in your collection cup...

Vapour1ze
03/04/2009, 01:00 AM
Ok,,,, I'm not seeing anything on mine. Maybe I'm retarded I don't know,,,, then again I have it running trying to work with it, in the morning I'll get a closer look

Tswifty
03/04/2009, 01:02 AM
Take a picture of the skimmer you're using (the actual one not a product photo). It would take about 2 seconds to figure out what's going on.

Vapour1ze
03/04/2009, 01:04 AM
Carlso, Thanks for the twisting I'm going to go back down and try, and I see in your sig "MODDED" nw200, I've seen threads on doing it, but they aren't really that detailed. If yours is meshmodded or something else and you wouldn't mind sharing how you did it. Or some pictures of it, I would love the PM or email..... [email protected] Thanks!

Vapour1ze
03/04/2009, 01:22 AM
hahaha just figured it out, thanks guys,,,, I raised the tube a little bit bringing the level up a bit,,, see what that gives me by morning... Then again it still may be breaking in as well. Thanks!

carlso63
03/04/2009, 04:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14531389#post14531389 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tehauthority
Carlso, Thanks for the twisting I'm going to go back down and try, and I see in your sig "MODDED" nw200, I've seen threads on doing it, but they aren't really that detailed. If yours is meshmodded or something else and you wouldn't mind sharing how you did it. Or some pictures of it, I would love the PM or email..... [email protected] Thanks!

Here is my tank Build Thread on my local Club site:

(http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24146&PN=16)

The skimmer mods are on page 16, under the heading "Skimmers 101"

- Meshmod to the impeller
- Airline / venturi enlarged from (stock) 1/8" I.D. to 3/8" I.D.
- DIY replacement elbow connecting the pump output to the skimmer
- DIY replacement of pump inlet restrictor from (stock) 1/2" I.D. to 3/4" I.D.

Airflow up from (stock) 16 scfh to 42 scfh and steady :eek1:

As good as these mods are, I am planning a major upgrade mod to my NW200 that will blow everyone away - so you might want to check that link again in 2 or 3 weeks when I am all done...

I guarantee it will freak you out!

Vapour1ze
03/04/2009, 11:56 PM
So after 24 hours of raising the tube, for a higher water level (wetter skim) still getting nothing............ My old AquaMedic T-Flotor1000 pulled out pure black, quite a bit too... And I figure this being better, should be doing better. But still nothing,....... What is going on?

sanababit
03/05/2009, 01:11 AM
patience is a virtue, give it time to break in...

sana

Vapour1ze
03/05/2009, 12:33 PM
Been waiting for about 5 days now. Still nothing,

sikpupy
03/05/2009, 03:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14539713#post14539713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tehauthority
So after 24 hours of raising the tube, for a higher water level (wetter skim) still getting nothing............ My old AquaMedic T-Flotor1000 pulled out pure black, quite a bit too... And I figure this being better, should be doing better. But still nothing,....... What is going on?

Did you replace the Aqua with the Octo the same day with the new skimmer and get nothing? I have the MSX 200 and am seeing nothing being produced, for the most part. Seems you have to skim wet with it and then you just get a light to medium brown water. Maybe the bubbles are too big in ours and you get a fair amount of liquid with the poo and thats just the way it is? I have to have the bubbles near the top before I get anything in the cup. I would also think that if you have it lowered as low as everyone says, by the time you get enough bubbles to come all the way up to the top, you have one dirty stagnet tank!? Mine has been running for 3 weeks at least and I doubt my tank is squeaky clean to where I get no skimmate any other way.

Then again, I am still learning this thing and listening to others advice.

ncjetskier
03/14/2009, 06:37 AM
Did either one of you have any better luck? I have a MSX200 that replaced a Aqua Medic Turbo Floater 1000 and to be honest, I had better luck with the Turbo Floater 1000. The problem I have is the water level in the MSX200 is very difficult to control. To get any skimmate, I have it set about 1/3 up the tube, but then the next day, the skimmer is overflowing. Set it at the level where the collection cup is and I get nothing. The water level in the sump is held very constant. I think it is the pump does not run consistantly. I have been running the unit for 2 months now. Down pipe removed, water level in sump at 9 inches. Not real impressed with this skimmer!!!!!