PDA

View Full Version : Succesful corals in a FOWLER

rsantangelo3@co
03/04/2009, 02:16 PM
What corals can be kept with adult angels? Really want to add a few. I heard they dont touch mushromms because they are an anem. But was curious to others??

DamnPepShrimp
03/04/2009, 02:42 PM
Depends on the fish. I am going to be trying out corals with my fish. I have seen some angels eat every kind of coral imaginable. Talk to ccampbell, his whole reef was destroyed. It really just comes down to the particular fish (not the type, but each individual).

MatthewLaw
03/04/2009, 02:45 PM
i have heard puffers do not discriminate...

intricable
03/04/2009, 02:53 PM
For what its worth, the SO's sailfin, had a particular attraction to small leathers. Even though they're claimed to be reefsafe, even he would swim past a leather and nip at its polyps. It seems like although they are generalities in the fish world, there are never any true rules. Maybe experiment by buying cheap frags of sps, lps, and soft and just see who makes it?

reefergeorge
03/04/2009, 05:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14535015#post14535015 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MatthewLaw
i have heard puffers do not discriminate...

My porc has never bothered any corals. He even lived with a cleaner shrimp for two years until the trigger got it. When I tried it with a dog face puffer. He almost ate a whole colony of zoas in an afternoon. :(

Idk about large angels, but I have a picasso trigger, and a porcupine puffer in my somewhat reef. I have never had any problems keeping zoas, polyps, shrooms, rics, or a decent size leather.

LuvAngels88
03/04/2009, 09:14 PM
I have mushrooms, hammers, frogspawn, leathers, duncans, ricordia, and torches in with a Bandit and a Regal angel. The Bandit chowed down on zoas and clove polyps. It also helps that my angels are very well fed. . But I think it is a consensus that it really depends on the individual fish.

e55MD
03/04/2009, 10:41 PM
My Golden Puffer has munched on every type of coral I have ever put in the tank. The only reason he stays away from my anemone is that it is inhabited by a pair of maroon clowns and the female is large and nasty.
I thought I would try another anemone a few months back. I had to return it to the store about an hour after it went into the tank. The Puffer was the culprit again.

kirkaz
03/05/2009, 07:42 AM
I have had great luck thus far with mushrooms and various Leathers.....My Angels are fairly young, so time will tell.

lesleybird
03/05/2009, 10:43 PM
I bought a small rock with beautiful blue mushrooms on it that were very rare in their color.... I think they were about $75. My 4 inch Majestic angel ate all of them the first week. Had another rock with orange mushrooms and he left them alone. None of the angels bothered my maze brain corals or my small polip brain corals. Did not try any other corals with them. Lesley

yoimb0b
03/06/2009, 02:17 PM
my koran angel seems to nip at mushrooms from time to time as well. oh well