PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a new Anemone

ameares8
03/04/2009, 08:55 PM
I have decided to add an anemone to my 55. I have a "SA Fancy" ocellaris clownfish that I got at the frag swap from Sustainable aquatics (which I love). She has decided to setup shop on the left side of my tank which has a few rocks that my cleaner shrimp and lawnmower blenny call home. The right side is where I house all of my corals. This is also where my King and Koran Angels call home.

I have kept two condys when I had my Red Sea Max running, but I do not like them anymore due to the fact I had a Tomato clown that would feed them whatever fish he could bully into them. Regardless, I was thinking of possibly getting a carpet anemone or something that is not so agressive.

Thoughts, suggestion, comments.

Thanks

NeveSSL
03/04/2009, 10:45 PM
Wow... that is a hard-core clown! I would bet that he's done time at some point. :D

I would recommend bubble tip anemones. I just got a rose bubble tip from hohmfree, which are probably the most popular, but gold bubble tips and other colors are great, too!

That would be my suggestion. :)

Oh, and if you still want me to pick up a clown for ya, I'll be going to SA on not this Sunday, but the next. :)

Brandon

TitansFan
03/04/2009, 11:02 PM
"getting a carpet anemone or something that is not so agressive."

Those 2 items dont go together either very well. ;)
Carpets can get quite large and have been known to be fish killers. I would go with brandon's suggestion of a bubble tip.

On another note. Do you really have a King and Koran Angel together in your tank? How big are they and do they get along?

NeveSSL
03/04/2009, 11:11 PM
If you talk to Michael at Fins, ask him about his customer's carpet anemone experience. In short, it tried to eat his arm... no joke! They are very aggressive, although very beautiful too.

Brandon

ameares8
03/05/2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks Brandon, I still have yet to get my second one. I am waiting on that guy to come get my Red Sea Max still.

I do love the RBTA's. I did not think the carpets were aggressive, but that is why I asked first. My clown was a beast. She would eat anything except for me. I could hand feed her, but she did not like anything other than her anemone in her tnak. She moved corals and huge shells across the tank all day...never satisfied. All I have seen are the rose, but not the gold. What other colors can you find them in? Are they all fairly expensive?

Titansfan I do indeed have a King and Koran in my tank. I have had them close to a year now. I bought them as close to fresh hatched as could get lol. It was not intentional, but my wife worked at Petland, so I got a HUGE discount on everything. It was all at cost as long as the right people rung me up. With that being said, I cleared out some corals and 3 Angels when they closed. All of the corals were half dead from poor care at Petland and the Coral Beauty was not in the best shape. She did not last long nor did most of the corals. Some bounced back until I had a horrible problem with my Nitrates and Phosphates which wiped the already necrotic corals out.

The Angels are about 3½" or so. I think they were right around an inch when I got them. The Koran is a fast changer too. The King is the dominant female in my tank. She will eat first when I feed, but she does not bully too much. There is a little aggression from her from time to time though. I have only seen her nip at the green birdsnest that I got at the swap(I believe they were Angela's). She has not messed with anything since then. All in all my tank is very peaceful. The size in the future is my only issue. I use it as an advantage for my wife to let me upgrade in the near future.

gflat65
03/05/2009, 12:33 PM
Yup-safer and carpet are not synonymous. Carpets probably eat more fish tna any other kind of anemone since they are so large and small tentacled. BTA's are a good started anemone, IMO.

waynesworld
03/05/2009, 12:59 PM
I would not recommend a carpet unless you have a large tank and feed it regularly I had one that someone had and said it took a tang down so I kept him feed by increasing the size of things to feed him and he would eat fish over 4 in in size. unfortunately one day he moved into the intake of the Hammer head and lost.

ameares8
03/05/2009, 03:13 PM
No carpet it is then! thanks guys!

Mikeyjer
03/07/2009, 11:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14542342#post14542342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waynesworld
I would not recommend a carpet unless you have a large tank and feed it regularly I had one that someone had and said it took a tang down so I kept him feed by increasing the size of things to feed him and he would eat fish over 4 in in size. unfortunately one day he moved into the intake of the Hammer head and lost.

Wayne, I remembered that carpet anemone of yours, it was beautiful!!!! Such a shame....