PDA

View Full Version : Lobo dying...any input?

bheld
03/05/2009, 10:11 AM
I just noticed this last night and am not sure what to think of it. My lobo tissue is dying off and more and more skeleton becomes visible. I'm going to assume it has nothing to do with my parameters as they tested great and all of my more sensitive corals are doing great. So that leaves me to believe it is some sort of parasite? What should I dip with? how long of a dip? etc... Thanks in advance!

Sorry about the pic quality, quick shots
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp305/bheld1/_DSC0778.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp305/bheld1/_DSC0779.jpg

Lockhartia
03/05/2009, 10:58 AM
Have you noticed anything annoying or picking at the coral? Also, it's hard to tel lfrom the pic, but is there a lot of sand getting on the edge of the coral? That can cause irritation and sometimes be a culprit in tissue recession.

I use Seachem's Reef Dip when I dip my corals. There's a bunch of brands out there, everyone has the one they like. Mine was free so that's my excuse :-)

How long have you had this coral? Any changes to the tank lately? Lighting, animals, etc?

reefknight
03/06/2009, 10:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14541539#post14541539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lockhartia
Have you noticed anything annoying or picking at the coral? Also, it's hard to tel lfrom the pic, but is there a lot of sand getting on the edge of the coral? That can cause irritation and sometimes be a culprit in tissue recession.

I use Seachem's Reef Dip when I dip my corals. There's a bunch of brands out there, everyone has the one they like. Mine was free so that's my excuse :-)

How long have you had this coral? Any changes to the tank lately? Lighting, animals, etc?

+1

I have had a couple do this in the past. Each time it was something that I had done, changed a powerhead orientation, moved it into to much light / shade, had it too close to something else. A dip probably would not hurt, I've not used Seachem's though. I typically use Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure or a solution of Logul's Iodine.

bheld
03/06/2009, 10:36 PM
My placement is bottom middle...so possibly too much light? I'll move it into an area will less light and see what happens. And I'll do a dip just to be safe. I would hate to lose this lobo! Thanks

reefknight
03/06/2009, 10:43 PM
Try moving it under an overhang or cave area. I have two that if I place them right out in the open they start to lose color and shrink up. If left too long they will start to lose tissue around the edge. After a couple of years with the one and changing tanks several times, I have learned to monitor its behavior. It will let you know if it's happy or not.

Check out this link to the one I'm referring to. The amino's helped it's coloration, but it really inflates when happy.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1385084

bheld
03/06/2009, 10:50 PM
I have the perfect place for it. My lobo usually isnt as shriveled as pictured above. I took that pic before lights-on. I'll definitely check out the Omega and pro skimmer product. Thats quite the dramatic difference between your two pictures. I'll update this as my lobo starts to look better/worse!