PDA

View Full Version : Bristle worms and I do NOT get along (pictures included)

NeveSSL
03/05/2009, 03:14 PM
Well... I'll just let the pictures do the talking.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/NeveSSL/Salt%20Tank/DSC_4601.jpg

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/NeveSSL/Salt%20Tank/DSC_4604.jpg

This isn't the offender, but is a GIANT I got out of my tank not too long ago.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/NeveSSL/Salt%20Tank/DSC_4441.jpg

BTW, vinegar took all of these out in like 5 seconds. I tried tweezers and my knife... only to have Julie go to Wal Mart to get some vinegar which was really quick. So... my message in this thread is to keep vinegar around for such emergencies. :D Fortunately these A) didn't go really deep and B) I'm not allergic or anything. Also, if you'll notice the red mark and missing skin on my finger... thats from a bristle worm two weeks ago... :lol:

Anyway, Julie made fun of me for taking pictures, but I thought they were worthy war wounds. :D Plus I'm REALLY happy that the vinegar worked as well as it did.

Brandon

NeveSSL
03/05/2009, 03:32 PM
Oh, and BTW, Thomas your frags are now ready. :D :lol:

Brandon

TomStill
03/05/2009, 04:00 PM
Thats good to know. Hope you have a speedy recovery, haha

poolkeeper1
03/05/2009, 04:20 PM
Your not supposed to finger wrestle with them, they win every time. Curious as to why you are getting rid of them? they are good scavengers and mostly harmless, except to fingers!

NeveSSL
03/05/2009, 04:22 PM
:lol:

Well, to be honest I'm not getting rid of them. That guy just freaked me out a little bit (14"+) because of his size and I had a good opportunity to get him out. I agree they're harmeless (unless you thumb-wrestle) and do good scavenging. :)

Honestly, this instance was pretty much harmless. My finger may be swollen a little tomorrow, but it hasn't hurt at all since the vinegar. That stuff melted the bristles QUICK. Glad I read that once!

Brandon

Sk8r
03/05/2009, 04:25 PM
warmed white vinegar soak: dissolves the calcium carbonate of the spines, which will help. Hot water for the itching. Benedryl for the allergic reaction it may prompt.

And latex gloves for your next adventure: repeated exposure only makes the reaction worse.

musicman
03/05/2009, 04:26 PM
I don't like them mostly because they are unsightly buggers, and also because I don't want to get stung like you did! Luckily, I never did get stung while I had my tanks, but I know I got close!

I sucked many of them out with a turkey baster, but the bigger ones would get stuck in it. I realized that if I fed a little less food a little less often that I had much fewer and also smaller worms, and my tank required much less cleaning.

I think sometimes we tend to overfeed our fish because it's fun to watch them eat and we think they should all have bulging tummies.

NeveSSL
03/05/2009, 04:29 PM
I'm actually ok, Sk8r. I've already soaked in vinegar and it got rid of the spines in no time. :)

Yeah, James, I have a ton in my tank... more recently, though I've reduced my bioload and fed less (and got rid of algae, too :) ). I have to admit I kinda like the way they look and they also add a bit of coolness to the tank... at least to all the people who come see it.

Me: "Yeah, those guys are aka'd fireworms... you don't want to know why."

Them: "Wow... thats crazy! Have you ever been stung by them?"

Me: "Well, they don't really sting, but yeah. I've got pictures, too. Wanna see them?"

:lol:

Man... I'm really bored at work right now. :D

Brandon

Crazyfist
03/18/2009, 08:57 AM
last time i saw one im my tank, I stabbed him with a kabob skewer, and used needlenose pliers to pull him out. Forget sticking my fingers in there.....

I've got one left in there that I've seen - I'll get him though...
I didn't have a problem with them until I saw him INSIDE my candycanes, stealing food. Its been war ever since....