PDA

View Full Version : Aquaillumination Lighting

reef-aholic B
03/05/2009, 07:44 PM
My fiance' wants to buy this light for me and I heard alot of bad things about Solaris. I'm cautious about this light, but I'd really like some feedback from people, good and bad is appreciated.

Thank you.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/LED_Lighting/AquaIllumination_LED_Light_Systems/

reef-aholic B

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/LED_Lighting/AquaIllumination_LED_Light_Systems/

Doahh
03/05/2009, 08:10 PM
It's actually a great light as far as LEDS go

JStorey
03/05/2009, 08:15 PM
I have had 2-5 footers on my 10 foot tank for over a year now and really like them.

itsdarrow
03/05/2009, 08:43 PM
i wouldnt buy any LED lighting systems yet until this whole Orbitec patent thing gets resolved, its alot of money to be spending.

PS i have a solaris i-5 unit

pjf
03/05/2009, 09:25 PM
Here's an old (2007) review of the Aquaillumination: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/review. The review appears to be very positive.

I'd send an email to Aquaillumination or Reef Geek to inquire if the LED controller patent held by Orbital Technologies Corporation (Orbitec) will affect the future of the Aquaillumination. Orbitec appears to have forced PFO, the maker of the Solaris LED fixture, to close shop.

grigsy
03/05/2009, 09:27 PM
Buy a metal halide system instead.

It will save your fiance a lot of money and you will get better lighting.......better for SPS growth, no dark spots in the corners of your tank and you will have better shimmer effect.

Paulairduck
03/06/2009, 01:39 AM
I would stay away from leds for now, get a quality T5 or halide unit

xenon
03/06/2009, 01:57 AM
Greg at ReefGeek said there is no worries about Orbitec effecting AquaIllumination so buy with confidence.

I use two modules over my biocube and I plan to buy 4 more modules for my next upgrade.

Heinz
03/06/2009, 01:58 AM
i wanted to buy the Aquaillumination LED too, now i am not sure,
all good points,

Heinz
03/06/2009, 02:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14547614#post14547614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xenon
Greg at ReefGeek said there is no worries about Orbitec effecting AquaIllumination so buy with confidence.

I use two modules over my biocube and I plan to buy 4 more modules for my next upgrade.
i was typing while you posted,

can you give us more info on the AI LED ?,

you like em ? what lights did you have before ?

pictures would be great

xenon
03/06/2009, 02:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14547623#post14547623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Heinz
i was typing while you posted,

can you give us more info on the AI LED ?,

you like em ? what lights did you have before ?

pictures would be great

The stock lighting that is included with the biocube is pathetic so I upgraded to a 20" Sunpod 150w mh with 14k bulb but I had heat issues right away. My ambient temps are too high because my gf likes to walk around half naked all the time so I was forced to replace it with a 20" Nova Extreme Pro with 6x18w T5HO and this lighting fixture was GREAT because very little heat was generated and I could keep SPS, clam and LTA no problem.

Then I bought a GHL Profilux controller and learned that I could connect some AI modules. I love how I can ramp up the dusk/dawn effect along with the lightning effects and having the choice on what kelvin I want. The white/blue LED's can produce 6,000K - 22,000k so you can choose what color makes your corals look the nicest.

Here is my build thread with pictures.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1478252

turbonut
03/06/2009, 08:10 AM
imho i dont like them they have a horrible spread

villious
03/06/2009, 09:43 AM
I had a Solaris on my 120 and though I loved the ability for it to ramp up and down, the spread was horrible as Turnbonut said above. My tank had a lot of dark areas in it. I sold it and went to an Aquactinics T5HO fixture and I'm much happier with it. I had MH for years, but got tired of the heat. Also, glad I got rid of it since PFO is just shut down due to the lawsuit.

LED was just not mature enough for me. I do think it's the future of Aquarium lighting though.

matt210G
03/06/2009, 10:30 AM
Hey Xenon,
Are you suggesting that if I purchase enough HQI lights I might be able to get my girlfriend to walk around half naked all the time ? :)
Should probably check with my wife about doing this first though !!!