PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Phases.. help

asl4me76
03/06/2009, 12:49 AM
Ok --

I am posting this for the benefit of some of the fellow newbies to the hobby.

I have had my tank up and going for a few months now. I have been slowly but surely going through all the new "tank" phases as the time passes.

I have hit the diatom phase, where I am seeing the skeletons all over the glass. I have kept the front and side panels of my tank clean from them. The back panel, well they're on there. I have even had it build up on my sand trying not to disturb the sand much as to cause any increase in my parameters. My corals are unaffected by this.

I have had some stringie brown algae, (not like the typical hair algae phase from excessive lights going on) forming on my back panel of glass, rocks, and the overflow. There are various spots on the back panel of glass where I have coraline algae growing already. I can also see it forming on a lot of the rock as well and even in the fuge/sump. I am hesitant to take it off the glass, because I don't want to knock off any coraline that is starting to grow.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to make the ugly stuff to just simply go away without disturbing anything and causing a parameter swing.

Any input would be great, I will try to get a photo up .. but I am somewhat cameraless for now.

pimpinitup6969
03/06/2009, 12:51 AM
just be patient! we have all dealt with it

turretdr
03/06/2009, 05:52 AM
Don't worry about the coraline, if your parameters are good you will be cussing the coraline soon enough.

kraze3
03/06/2009, 07:41 AM
I used my mag float. If the coraline is strong enough the mag float goes over it just scraping it a little. I agree with turretdr though just keep it clean the coraline will return. If your tank doesnt have a DSB there are no worries in usuing a turkey baster to stir up a little of the sand.

drparker
03/06/2009, 12:00 PM
Plus scraping of little of coraline back into the water should help it spread even more

rfosgategt
03/06/2009, 12:27 PM
it takes months to get it established...it will come around