PDA

View Full Version : Late night spawn

noahm
03/06/2009, 09:46 AM
sorry, no pics, but I have several hundreds of little shrimplets this morning. All just slightly over 1/8" (pretty good size). They look like shrimp, but larvae are so hard to tell, but I am guessing its the peps. Anyway, I'm sure they will just become food, but I did turn off the skimmer so they wouldn't just become micro bubbles. It has pretty much quit skimming as of late anyway (Lots of bubbles, just nothing to skim). Will update if anything comes of it.

Noah:)

divemonster
03/06/2009, 09:53 AM
WOW! That's so awesome. Listen Noah, if you're going to post a cool event like this you really should get some pics for us pic hounds ;) Everyone likes baby pictures afterall

Keep us posted. Maybe some of them will make it through the larval stage.

Yogre
03/06/2009, 04:01 PM
I had a similar spawn in my tank a couple of weeks ago by the time I thought to get the camera they had burrowed into the sand. My nightmare is it was a mantis spawn and I'll be overrun with 'em.

noahm
03/06/2009, 06:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14548985#post14548985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by divemonster
WOW! That's so awesome. Listen Noah, if you're going to post a cool event like this you really should get some pics for us pic hounds ;) Everyone likes baby pictures afterall

Keep us posted. Maybe some of them will make it through the larval stage.

Since it was dark and they were on the glass and they were zipping in circles, I had a hard time getting anything good, but I did find one so-so pic. They do look like mini-mantis, but again, larvae are all so similar. Who knows, can't find any of them now.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo202/Yerdum/IMG_4314.jpg

Yogre
03/06/2009, 10:01 PM
The critters in my spawn looked the same, big black eyes. I fished a couple out with a fine net, but I don't have a magnifying glass, much less a microscope. They didn't seem like they had rapts, I understand mantis fry do, but without magnification I couldn't say for sure.
Maybe Richard can tell us what they likely are .

noahm
03/06/2009, 10:51 PM
After reading about peps, I don't think it could be them, so I am leaning toward mantis. The only other shrimp I have are a handful of pistols. This may explain why the 2 mantis that I knew were in my tank and had disappeared for a couple weeks suddenly appeared. Honeymoon :). The one that I had been feeding, I trapped almost immediately, but the slightly larger one is still in the tank. I don't really care too much as they are really only a problem when they get larger and seem to prefer easy targets like barnacles etc. That soapfish will probably eat any that make it. I see him jamming himself into holes after crustaceans.

NeonFish
03/07/2009, 12:11 AM
Pep's don't look like that. They are much smaller and almost transluscent.