PDA

View Full Version : please identify

garyw68
03/06/2009, 03:14 PM
I have noticed my sps corals not doing so well. They started to fade and die at the tips. I had no idea why. I recently spotted this guy on my glass and wondered if it had anything to do with my loss in sps. I have spotted them on my mushrooms also. Please let me know what you think and the best way to get rid of this pest.

Thanks in advance.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f349/garyw68/Picture_or_Video_2041.jpg

Peter Eichler
03/06/2009, 03:21 PM
It's a flatowrm, but probably not the type that eats Acropora. Just looking at the blurry rock in the back ground it looks like you have nutrient issues and maybe even cyanobacteria? Anyhow, I'd look at other causes for the decline of your SPS.

garyw68
03/06/2009, 03:29 PM
Should I worry about getting rid of the flatworms? I did have red slime algae…I did the three days of no lights treatment and it seems to help. Not sure what caused the red slime to appear. I recently changed my lighting as well. Parameters are ca-420, alk-10, mg-1350, rates and po4 are 0.

NanoReefWanabe
03/06/2009, 09:23 PM
how are you testing your PO4? and what kit for your NO3?

if you have cyano then you certainly have an unhealthy amount of both PO4 and NO3....

if that flat worm was a problem you wouldnt find him on the glass...he would be face down in an acro waving his invisible butt at you and laughing the whole time...AEFW are usually only found on the acro and are pretty much tissue toned in colour, i havent seen white ones yet...

if you tank is big enough to house a wrasse that would be a very good way to get rid of the flat worms you have there, and as mentioned, i would be looking for other causes to your SPS problems, lighting? flow? parameter swings? actual PO4 levels? tank temps? etc....while your looking you may aswell break out the redlight flashlight at night and check for Redbugs, as they are a serious SPS irritant...

do you have any pics of the ailing corals?

garyw68
03/07/2009, 09:43 AM
I moved the tank last week into my new home...so when I moved the live rock...i cut off the dead acro. I now only have nubs where my acro grew. Im going to start over with my sps after a few months. I’m going to buy new po4 and no3 kits and make sure the water is perfect. I like the wrasse idea...i will most likely get a six line. I had one before but it jumped out and I found him dead several hours later. I just dont like putting anything in my tank that is toxic. i know the flatworm exit is reef safe but i just like doing things the natural way when it comes to my tank. just my preference.

garyw68
03/07/2009, 09:46 AM
BTW...thanks for your help...