PDA

View Full Version : externla Overflow questions

supermarvin76
03/07/2009, 01:33 AM
I have a tank that I am planning to drill, or have someone drill....if I can find someone. I would like an external overflow, but am sure hesitant. Just the idea makes me nervous that it will come apart. I do not undertand how the silcone alone holds the glass together, and does not require some type of support. But, that is what I really want.

I recently saw some one write this: "do yourself a favor and drill the tank and install something along the lines of a durso pipe, way better than an external overflow."

Why would this be? Please reausre me about the external overflow.

I would love to hear about people that have external overflows, even better, ones they built themselves, and how long they have been set up.

Thanks!

Toddrtrex
03/07/2009, 01:59 AM
I think that quote that you saw someone write is correct, but also a bit misleading. I am fairly confident that they were referring to a hang on the back overflow (( sometimes referred to as an external one )), as opposed to what you are planning.

So while what you are planning is technically an external overflow, it isn't what is commonly referred to as an external.

As for the silicone holding it, silicone is holding your tank together. :)

supermarvin76
03/07/2009, 03:06 PM
I know the slicone is indeed holding the whole tank itself together, but it also has "plastic" support at the top and bottom. I am still baffled that these external overflows hold together.

Can someone provide a link to the silcone that I should use?

Thanks!