PDA

View Full Version : Triggerfish Growth Rates

Mentat
03/07/2009, 10:58 AM
Although there is maximum size information for both wild and tank raised triggerfish species, there is incomplete data on aquarium growth rates. The fact is that some triggers grow very slow and a juvenile could safely be moved every couple years to a larger tank. However, others have much faster growth rates and the full adult size required tank should be utilized from the onset.

Needing some of that information to make desicions prior to acquiring and setting up couple tanks (to separately house my Undy in QT and a future Goldenheart), decided to try and create a thread to collect data that could be used not only by me, but by all aquarists here.

From what I read:

- The genus Rhinecanthus (Picassos, Humas, Assassins, etc.), and Undulatus (Undys) have very slow growth (specially after reaching 5-6 in.);

- The genus Odonus (Red-toothed niger), Ballistes (Golden Heart & Queen), Ballistoides (Clown & Titan), and Psuedobalistes (Yellowmargin & Blue Line) can grow much faster;

- Little to no information found on Sufflamen (Bluethroat & Halfmoon), Melichthys (Niger & Pinktail), and Xanthichthys (Bluechin, Sargassum, & Crosshatch).

If current owners of any Triggerfish species could kindly post their observed growth rates with a time reference (i.e. 1 in. per 2 months or 2 in. per year) we could eventually build a usefull little table with all the data compiled in thread. In addition to growth rate, please feel free to include present fish size, tank size and any relevant information to your fish growth. Yes, you can post pics of your Trigger if you like too. Thank you!

david's preds
09/09/2010, 03:55 PM
this is old but a good and useful thread
time to revive

ikktrdr
09/09/2010, 07:48 PM
I have had a blue chin trigger for at least 5 years. It was in a 75 gallon for 4 years and has been in a 300 gallon for 1 year. I swear it hasn't grown much. It is about 4 - 5 inches right now. My guess is that it has grown maybe close to 1 - 1/12 inches since I got it. This is just my experience though.

dviper150
09/09/2010, 08:07 PM
I bought a blue line trigger about 3 and half months ago. It was about 3 inches then and now its 5 inches. The guy grew fast! I have him in a 150 gallon tank and feed once a day.

rachenbrazil
09/10/2010, 11:09 AM
Have 2 bluethroat trigger for a year ... both 2 1/2 inches and no noticiable growth from them ... they are round and fat...but same size as purchased ... Clown trigger in same tank from 2 to 5 inches at same time...

Idle Moor
09/10/2010, 11:49 AM
I have had a niger trigger in a 135 for the past year. He has grown from about 3" to about 4.5" in that time, but most of the growth has been in the last 5 months since I began feeding more than once per day due to the addition of a couple of angel tankmates. The trigger generally manages to get more than it's share of the food.

Previously I have kept an undulatus in a 35 gal for about 3 years. It was about 3" the entire time, never growing appreciably. It was fed once/day, but a good amount and it was quite fat.

WuHT
09/10/2010, 05:22 PM
Ditto on the bluethroat : marginal (if any growth) over a couple of years. Still eats like a pig, but .. where does that energy go ?

barbianj
09/10/2010, 07:51 PM
I can see by reading the posts so far that growth rates will vary greatly along with conditions.

My Golhheart, Pinktail, and Blueline all have a similar rate of growth. They are all still similar in size. I thought there would be a difference somewhere along the line, but they seem to average out. I would have to look back to see how long I've had them.

The Queen Trigger is 19" and still growing. All of my fish get fed twice a day. One feeding of meat and one feeding of NLS pellets. I believe that triggers need to be fed twice a day, otherwise I would have fewer fish. :beer: