PDA

View Full Version : Carpet anemone acclimation

fishnu
03/07/2009, 11:29 AM
I have just bought a carpet anemone (mertensii) and spent several hours drip acclimating it. Now I want to be careful about lighting acclimation. Should I increase my halide lighting by 1-2 hours per day to avoid bleaching?

TIA

chitownclown
03/07/2009, 11:53 AM
I hope you meant decrease you lighting schedule, I would just put him in a shaded area and let him move around as he will know what is best for himself.

fishnu
03/07/2009, 12:06 PM
I was running 10 + hours aday but since he was in transport recently and not under halides I have turned off halides. I ran them one hour today. Should I increase by 1 hour per day or just leave lights on and risk bleaching?

Toddrtrex
03/07/2009, 01:21 PM
It is better to decrease the intensity of the lights compared to shortening the photo-period. Shorter photo-period can/will still cause issues.

What I do is place some egg create over the tank, and then place some window screening on top of that. Assuming that your sig is right about your lights, I would use 3 layers and remove one layer each 5-7 days.

Since you are in Naperville (( I am in Lombard )) you are more then welcome to pick up some of my extra screening.

wicked_NaCl_h2o
03/07/2009, 05:18 PM
I didn't do any of this and my Mertensii didn't bleach.
My lights are-
560 watt: 2-150 watt HQI; 2-130 watt

pictures please!

sedgro
03/07/2009, 06:28 PM
If it's the one on your webcam, then it looks like S. haddoni to me. S. mertensii are exceptionally rare in the hobby. wicked_NaCl_h2o got the last I am aware of that was available from reefscience.com. Looks like a nice one either way and is in the process of burying its foot.

fishnu
03/07/2009, 08:33 PM
Sorry, You're right! It's a Haddon's. It seems happy. And thanks for visiting.

Thanks Toddrtrex. I may take you up on that. However for the next day or so I will keep lighting to a 1-2 hour limit just to be safe. BTW where do you shop besides Beyond the Reef?