PDA

View Full Version : question about a prefilter

pb4ugoout
03/07/2009, 09:25 PM
I currently have a Bermuda Aquatics Rogue Wave HOB Skimmer. I have a Mag 5 connected to it. It is sitting at the bottom of my tank behind some LR pumping water up a black vinyl tube. It's a PITA to move things around everytime I need to clean the mesh filter on it. I would also like to start skimming the film off the top of my tank. So here is my question.

Does anyone have any idea if I could mount a remora prefilter box to my tank somehow and hide the pump in it as well as skim the surface? I know I may have to cut more notches in it to move more water. Should I just have someone make me a custom overflow box to mount in the tank? I could probably drain half of the water and mount a box in there. Just don't want my pump on the bottom anymore. Looking for ideas from the crowd...

Bonneville08
03/08/2009, 06:47 AM
I don't think a Remora pre-filter will fit a Mag 5, and I doubt a Maxi-jet would drive your skimmer. You could have a custom box, like an overflow made and just not drill the tank. Glass Holes may be able to custom fabricate something for you.
Good luck

pb4ugoout
03/08/2009, 11:13 AM
The largest remora box is made for a mag 3 which is the same size as a mag 5 so i figured they would fit. I'll check out glass holes and see what they offer. I'm confident someone could make me a box that I can silicon to my tank. Hell I could probably make one myself. My only issue is how many slots do I need to move the right amount of water so the pump doesn't starve

pb4ugoout
04/03/2009, 02:38 PM
I contacted the guys at Glass Holes. Here is what they have fabbed up for me. It's going to hang on the tank and hold my pump.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs005.snc1/2506_94703291608_507951608_2832879_7471837_n.jpg