PDA

View Full Version : I need some lighting help!!! Please!!!

outcastjra
03/08/2009, 08:19 AM
Hi to all,
Okay here's my deal, I have a 65 Gallon used Reef I got for a great price! The lighting setup that came with it is a 250W MH Sunpod type, with 2 32w PC Actinic lights. I don't know how old the bulbs are. So I replaced the 250W MH to a Reeflux 20K. This bulb has awesome color! I'm unsure about growth, but everything looks happy except my rics. Okay here's my question- I want to change/upgrade the PC bulbs to help with some growth! Can I go up in watts, or do I need to stick with the 32w? Also what's the difference between Actinic Light and the white Daylight bulbs? Which one grows coral more? Being that I just have the 2 blue Actinic bulbs- Does this promote better growth? Or would one white, one blue bulb promote better growth? I would like to know some of this before I make up my mind.
Thanks to all that is willing to help!

outcastjra
03/08/2009, 11:48 AM
Anyone?

swpassion
03/08/2009, 11:56 AM
From what I have been reading, the k raring for the MH will be the main factor, 6500 gives the best coral growth, 14,000+ gives little to no coral growth but looks awesome. From what I have been reading, for coral growth, you will need to run lower k rated bulbs in the mh and actinics to balance the spectrums appearence with the PC's

outcastjra
03/08/2009, 11:59 AM
I'm fine with the mh, I walould like to know more about the pc lights...

outcastjra
03/08/2009, 03:46 PM
Come on... Can anyone help? Thanks guys!

divewsharks
03/08/2009, 04:25 PM
the corals will definitely grow under MH with K's higher the 6500. As for the PC, you are likely stuck at 32w. The actinics will help with color but not really growth. The daylights would help more with growth.
Depending on the depth of you tank, and placement of the rics, it could simply be too much light for them.
Have you tried moving them to a shaded location?