PDA

View Full Version : clean up crew

lilgoderz
03/08/2009, 11:17 AM
what would an ideal clean up crew consist of for a 30 gallon reef tank please help ?!!! thanks

tspors
03/08/2009, 11:25 AM
If you visit this website you can see some suggestions for all size tanks.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=49

Druid
03/08/2009, 11:25 AM
I go for the "less is more" theory - add a few snails/crabs and see hwo they do, if the tank's clean you're good if the crew need more help then bulk up numbers.

I only have 4 trochus snails, 2 ceriths, 2 scarlet hermits and 1 blue kneed hermit. I do have a Starry blenny (algae grazer) who helps with hair algae on rocks and film algae on the glass & a sand sifting starfish (beginner's mistake - my tank is really too small but he does eat chopped pieces of mussel/clam/shrimp so we might be ok).

My tank stays quite clean, sand is white and I only scrape the glass 1x per week

tspors
03/08/2009, 11:31 AM
I agree with Druid

lilgoderz
03/08/2009, 11:36 AM
thanks guys .

Whys
03/08/2009, 12:42 PM
To start, I'd say about 6 snails and 3 hermits. Assuming you want hermits. They will on occasion eat a snail and steal its shell. But personally, I think some people give them a bum rap since they will often eat snails that have already died on their own. If no hermits, then more snails. Probably 1 for 1 to start. You can always add more later, and as your tank matures you will need to.

It's important to have a variety of snails, both in type and size, as they will each prefer different kinds of algae and pick it out of different sized recesses.

Primary algae eaters are Turbos, Astrea, and Margarite. Turbos are voracious and can grow large enough to knock over corals. Astrea are only slightly less voracious but die if not turned over when they fall on their back. Margarite are another alternative, but aren't native to tropical waters, so don't usually live as long.

Trochus aren't as voracious, but they tend to be very thorough and like to stay to the liverock.

Cerith will eat algae out of the sandbed and occasionally bury themselves in it. This is healthy for the sandbed and most other snails don't do it very often or very well.

Strombus are good for variety and really get into the small nooks and crannies that other snails can't reach.

Nassarius are meat eaters, so you should wait until you have some fish to feed, otherwise it might starve. But they too eat from the sandbed and bury themselves in it.

Once your tank has visible signs of hair algae, you can add an Emerald Crab. Again, it's a crab and so not everyone likes them. Personally, I think they are invaluable, not just to eat algae, but they do a great job of cleaning any buildup out of the liverock as they eat. This is very healthy for the liverock. Again, some might be giving them a bum rap, as they will eat corals if hungry enough. Normally they don't.

A brittle-star is an option and a good idea, IMO. Nothing else cleans UNDER the liverock like a brittle-star. This is very healthy for the liverock and your tank in general. You probably won't want more than one.

Remember, you can always add more later, and will need to.