PDA

View Full Version : snorkelling collecting marine species trips in Aus (1)

Saltliquid
03/08/2009, 06:38 PM
Hi all, just showing off our aandtsociety collecting trips.

The rock pool pics are here already.

All our pics and videos are on our photo bucket site, but I thought I would show off each trip and the spot we went to.

I will put this here in this forum and continue from this trip, these are probably not suitable for the reef discussion forum.

In this thread I will start our collecting trips from when we first started recording our trips in 2007 that the aquarium and terrarium society of Queensland carry out.

Some years we go to collect some fish and inverts a lot, some years not so much.

It depends on the weather and if the other clubbies want something for there tanks as to how often we go out collecting and always have a ball.

The value of seeing how our tank creatures carry out there lives in the wild is very valuable to our hobby.

Normally they are just member’s trips but once a year the club pays for accommodation on the island for any club members to come and go when they wish over a three day period staying only metres from some very good collecting areas.

We have a portable large bio system for these trips and quite a large storage area of three large tubs for everyone’s fish and inverts.

The club has been doing similar to this since the club was first formed in 1926.

The first picture is of a couple of the guys in my boat ready to get in and the other boat is kens with the others out with us on the same trip where we got these fish and others we didn’t get pictures of.

The rest of the pics are of a few latezonatus clowns, a few blue surgeons, a femininus wrasse and a small pineapple fish we got on the day and put in a little tank we made to take pics of the catches.

I hope you enjoy our reef aquarium species trips.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/...ips-/shag-1.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/...latezonatus.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/...ninuswrasse.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/...ps-/wit-064.jpg

fishome25
03/09/2009, 01:47 PM
pics don't work for me

streetjudge79
03/09/2009, 02:17 PM
Photos aren't working.

Saltliquid
03/09/2009, 08:12 PM
i will have a look and fix it,but i will have to do it again.

not sure what has happened!

dougie
03/09/2009, 11:05 PM
hey liquidg! its dougie from MASA. how u been? hey im coming up the gold coast in a few weeks, any good dive spots? im staying in surfers.

Saltliquid
03/10/2009, 12:14 AM
It depends, if you want to collect something, there are a couple interesting people on masa that claim owner ship of the gold coast area for people that only live there,unless they do the wrong thing as well and this may attract an objection if you intend on taking any of their personally owned wild fish.

It may get ugly if you go against their rules.

Well enough about the idiosyncrasies of the moronic few.

What type of things do you want to look at, what depth, shore dive or boat dive, that sought of thing?

There are a few spots down there!

If it is straight after this cyclone it may not be to good.

dougie
03/10/2009, 01:40 AM
lol, gold coast fish mafia. i better stay away or im might be swimmin with the fishes!!!
lol wait on thats wat i want to do. :)

dougie
03/10/2009, 01:42 AM
nah, not intending on collecting, just interested in a dive charter, like pro dive or something, for a nice day.

Saltliquid
03/10/2009, 02:01 AM
I would try kirra dive,they have some dives out to fidos or nine mile,both very good dive sites,out through the tweed river.

If they are only going to cook island,its okay but a bit boring.

Than there is palm beach dive,if they have a dive out to palm beach reef,there is no better dive for inverts to look at in the area.

If they go to the 50 to 70 foot deep areas,they are the best depths for varied life forms around.

You could do the coffee rock walls in the tweed,very nice and a little erie as the walls are in some places 25 feet high and a little cavey.

Than there is the seaway.

The best spot is to walk past the airsea rescue tower for about three hundred yards,just before where you walk off the path to the beach on the right,get in there and do a drift dive,there is some serious life there normally and it is a comfortable 45 to 55 feet of water.

Check with danny at southport fish and dive,he has been around forever.

The seaway drift dive is nice and safe for all and at times there are a lot of schooling mangrove jacks and trevaly around.

Have a good holiday.

dougie
03/10/2009, 02:15 AM
thanks buddy. :)

billsreef
03/10/2009, 08:40 PM
The problem with the picture links is that the links got truncated. This generally happens if you posted them elsewhere and simply copied the links from the post over to another post.

Saltliquid
03/10/2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for that billsreef.