PDA

View Full Version : Attention: IO users!

Mike de Leon
03/08/2009, 08:25 PM
I have been using this salt and have been running into issues with calcium being low. I want to switch to a different brand but hesitant to make the change. What do you folks do to raise the level? Do you wait for the ca reactor to kick in? Or do I use an additive?
I have a new Achilles Tang so I have been changing the water more often and have caused a few acros to bleach because of it.

Any thoughts?? Thanks..

widmer
03/08/2009, 08:54 PM
I use Seachem Reef Builder to raise the calcium by 80 mg/l. It's a simple calculation you do once, then just add the same every time you mix water. For me, it ends up being like 1/4 tsp per 1.5 gallons.

Really, all that the Reef Builder is, is calcium chloride, which you can get anywhere like bulkreefsupply.com, which is where I would go if I had a large tank like you. But in my case, my tank is so little (15 gallon rimless), that it really doesn't matter what my supplements cost per dose.

drummereef
03/08/2009, 08:55 PM
I use a Calcium Chloride product to bolster the IO when I mix a new batch up. Personally I use "Prestone Driveway Heat" but there are other options out there. Yes, it's the stuff you put on your driveway to melt ice. ;) Always use this calculator when adding any additive to your tank or newly mixed saltwater.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

Many good articles here as well on the subject. ;)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605

Peter Eichler
03/08/2009, 09:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14567193#post14567193 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by widmer
I use Seachem Reef Builder to raise the calcium by 80 mg/l. It's a simple calculation you do once, then just add the same every time you mix water. For me, it ends up being like 1/4 tsp per 1.5 gallons.

Really, all that the Reef Builder is, is calcium chloride, which you can get anywhere like bulkreefsupply.com, which is where I would go if I had a large tank like you. But in my case, my tank is so little (15 gallon rimless), that it really doesn't matter what my supplements cost per dose.

No, no, and no. Reef builder is various buffers, including boron I believe, and various other thinbgs such as strontium, calcium, and magnesium. Do not use this to raise calcium. In fact, don't use it at all since it's so tough to tell how much of what is being added. Lastly, I believe it's mostly made up of sodium carbonate and bicarbonate, so if you must use it it's best to use it as a buffer rather than a calcium additive.

Gary Majchrzak
03/08/2009, 09:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14567291#post14567291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Peter Eichler
No, no, and no. Reef builder is various buffers, including boron I believe, and various other thinbgs such as strontium, calcium, and magnesium. Do not use this to raise calcium.
ditto that advice!
To raise Ca in new IO I use aprox. 3 heaping teaspoons of (dry) Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium to 50 gallons of IO mix. There are many other options for boosting Ca alone. (Use online calculator to figure out how much of each product to use.)

A calcium reactor cannot raise Ca independently so it's not an option for boosting Ca alone. Use a Ca reactor to maintain balanced Ca/alk levels.

Lastly, if you're using saltmix from a bucket you need to thoroughly stir the entire contents of the bucket up before using it. Salts may settle out during shipping.

Mike de Leon
03/09/2009, 03:51 PM
Hey guys thanks for the advise.

Widmer, you too.
I know you're trying to help.

Is this better than just switching to a salt with higher calcium levels?

Gary Majchrzak
03/09/2009, 04:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14572568#post14572568 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mike de Leon
Is this better than just switching to a salt with higher calcium levels?
it all depends on the user and their aquarium.
For myself, using IO and tweaking it's levels is "better" (for many reasons).

Some additional insight:
it's more likely your Acros lost color due to low Mg levels rather than low Ca levels.
Frequent water changes can stress a sensitive fish such as an Achilles Tang.

cham
03/09/2009, 04:06 PM
I spend the extra $5 per 160g bucket to get reef crystals. They had issues with a few batches for awhile but for a few bucks its still a no brainer.

When I need calcium, MG or other suppliments I buy BRS.

Gary Majchrzak
03/09/2009, 04:10 PM
saving a few bucks is exactly one of the reason I use IO :)

if you're already purchasing Ca, Mg and other supplements from BRS you're probably spending too much money on RC ;)

cham
03/09/2009, 04:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14572719#post14572719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gary Majchrzak
saving a few bucks is exactly one of the reason I use IO :)

if you're already purchasing Ca, Mg and other supplements from BRS you're probably spending too much money on RC ;)

Bah, it's worth $5 per 160 gallons. I don't have to think about it. IIRC they also boost other trace elements such as stronium, one of which I don't dose or test for.

devgru
03/09/2009, 04:39 PM
i use oceanic salt mix,a kalk reactor(5g bucket dripped) and a ca reactor.

before seitching sat and getting reactors i used seachem and kent products for pH,Ca and Alk