PDA

View Full Version : mandarin keeps jumping out

greddy1
03/08/2009, 10:21 PM
Hey guys, does anyone know the lifestyle of a mandarin to want to jump out of the tank. He has done it twice now in the last month. the first time luckily he landed in the overflow box and survived being sucked over to the other side, i don't know how long he was there. the second time was tonight, literally while i was on reef central, i heard a splash and bingo there he is on the ground. Needless to say i was a little FREAKED OUT!!! one time the other night i observed him at the top of the tank splashing around. is this normal? he has plenty of little organisms moving around at night to feed on. kinda weird here

Sk8r
03/08/2009, 10:23 PM
How big is this tank?

I've had mandys for two decades and I've never had one jump. You must have an upwelling current. Aim it down if you can.

greddy1
03/08/2009, 10:44 PM
tank is a 70 gallon and he's the only mandarin in there. there are 2 powerheads at the top which create water flow at the bottom but thats what seems weird about it. I watched him the one night he was at the top and he intentionally was letting the water push him around at the top. he looked like he was searching for something, but when he was done he just swam back to the bottom

TellyFish
03/08/2009, 11:34 PM
My mandarin will hang out at the top especially at night. I have found him in the overflow, but thankfully not out of the tank.

zooty
03/09/2009, 10:59 AM
I've had 2 jump. Each was in a different tank.

No idea why. Had never seen any of the other fish act aggressively towards it let alone acknowledge it even existed.

greddy1
03/09/2009, 10:00 PM
well i'm glad to know i'm not the only one. i checked him out tonight and he seems okay considering he took like a 20 story suicide jump off the top of the tank

agreeive?fish
03/10/2009, 05:46 AM
I had one that jumped after 2 years in the same tank with the same peacefull tankmates (seahorses and pipefish)..

BonesCJ
03/10/2009, 12:42 PM
I had one that jumped 3 times, finally lost him on the last jump

greddy1
03/10/2009, 08:35 PM
i'm currently working on a net screening for windows to use around the outside of the tank that wraps around the overhead light. My goal is to remove the eggcrate altogether and allow more light in but also to keep fish from finding ways out. don't know if anyone has tried this but will keep u posted.

cayenne
03/20/2009, 02:59 PM
I had one that jumped at night and got stuck in my egg crate top on a 30" deep tank. Found him in the morning... Unfortunately.

rytrearc
03/20/2009, 11:45 PM
Didn't know they jumped out.. good to know!

nikon187
03/21/2009, 02:19 AM
Try bird netting in a DIY window frame instead of eggcrate. This will stop fish from jumping if the holes are 1/4". Small fish like gobies and wrasses can make it through eggcrate no problem