PDA

View Full Version : Colt receeding after perc's decided to host.

dreed
03/09/2009, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure if the percs hosting in my colt is causing it to receed or if it was because my Alk was slightly low but it's half the size it used to be. If it dies, I'll have to try and find something else that they'll try and host again. Do these usually have issues with fish "living" in them? Everything else in the tank except one small group of my zenias are doing well. My flowerpot is actually sprouting new small pots on it and everything else is growing well now.

I did have a turbo die in my sump that i didn't notice until it was gone so that could be a part of the problem too. My zenia's all wilted over for a bit with that but most all are back to normal pumping life.

What do you all think my little problem here could be. It started when the percs started hosting but the snail could have been just about that time too.

Disregard the bubbles in the tank. I just stirred up my sump.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh298/ndfastang/DSC06727.jpg

Thanks
Dave

ScooterBlenny
03/09/2009, 10:19 AM
Well, if the percs are annoying it and causing it to close up, it could eventually die. It happens:-( I would keep a careful eye on your parameters and work extra hard to keep them correct and see if it starts to do better. The clowns may just harrass it until it dies.

dreed
03/09/2009, 11:37 AM
That's a bummer because they didn't bother it for a few months and then jus ttook to it. I hope it makes it or I'll have to get something perc friendly to replace it.

Other than Anemone's, what is a good perc friendly coral to take it's place?

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

rendogg
03/09/2009, 12:06 PM
Colt corals are extremely resilient, it should grow accustomed to the fish after a little while. Ocellaris/Perculas seem to like hosting in Colt coral and generally the Colt can take it.

austin93
03/09/2009, 12:29 PM
My colt is only still in the tank (mostly SPS) because the clownfish love it so. It shows no signs of being unhappy with their presence. I am not overly excited about the thing being in there, can't be a positive as its the only softy in the tank.

dreed
03/09/2009, 01:56 PM
Great. Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it was the snail, Alk issues or if these things just didn't like the clowns. It used to be touching the return pipes above.

I'd rather have gotten something else but the wife was screaming for this since she saw it at the LFS. I had to frag it after just a month in the tank because it was sprouting so fast. I don't really want it to get back to that but I'd rather that than die.

I'll get the water straight and see how it does.

Thanks
Dave

ZoaFan08
03/09/2009, 02:45 PM
My clowns hosted my Sinularia and at first the sinularia didn't like it. But now that I have removed my clowns from the tank the sinularia has been shrunk up like it misses them.

dcombs44
03/09/2009, 02:55 PM
I agree that it will most likely get used to it.

That being said, I actually had a Tomato Clown that was too large for an Long Tentacle Anemone, and the Clown wallowed it to death.

You just never know.