PDA

View Full Version : VHO to MH

turner1
03/09/2009, 07:45 PM
Although it's my first post here on RC, I've spent much time here reading and gathering info over the past year or so. From the hundreds of threads on MH lighting, I think I've narrowed down what I want, but hoping I can get a few comments to help me finalize the decision.

Tank is 120 mixed reef (48x24x24) currently running 4 x 48" VHO. I'm changing it over to MH to improve look, growth, and hopefully make my GBTA happier.

My choices to this point are:

2 x Lumenbright Mini (16x16) SE Pendants
2 x XM 20,000K SE bulbs
2 x IceCap Electronic MH Ballasts

My assumption is that I'll mount the Lumenbrights roughly 14-16" from water surface, and with that distance plus 4 x 4" Icecap fans controlled by RKE, and another on the sump, I won't need a chiller.

The reason for me choosing the Lumenbright Mini's over the standard are so that I'll have some room for my moonlight LED's and I may keep 1 (or 2) VHO for morning, supplemental w/MH, and evening light.

The big question for me is this:
I can't decide between 250w or 400w MH... 24" depth seems to be right in the "grey zone" between the two...

If it was your tank, what would you do? What kind of PAR readings at various depths are most of you looking for on a mixed reef 24" deep? Will my LPS and GBTA find a happy place under 400W? I'm not concerned about the intial purchase cost difference between the 250w and 400w ballast. (Bulb and pendant cost is the same.) I can cry once and get over it ;) Monthly run cost difference is less than $9 total.

If anyone has experience on a changeover like this and can relate any good or regrets, I would most appreciate it. My gut tells me 250W is enough, but the devil on my shoulder is saying "more power" :D

Thanks & Cheers,
Brad