PDA

View Full Version : Seaweed

ColeBC
03/09/2009, 09:46 PM
I usually buy 30g packages of marine algae but I'm trying to find something much bigger. I haven't had any luck finding anything else.
Does anyone know where to get much bigger packages of marine algae? I've seen 150g ones online but I was hoping to find something around 1 or 2lbs.

Any suggestions? I keep spending so much money of those small ones :)

reefD
03/09/2009, 10:06 PM
the largest ive seen is like 7 oz. 50 sheet packs. you must have alot of algae eaters .....have you tried buying your green algae at a ethnic food store.? make sure it is 100% organic and its the same. in fact sushi is wrapped in the same kind of algea sheets. sometimes u can get it cheaper from the ethnic market. good luck

ColeBC
03/09/2009, 10:23 PM
My fish seem to be very picky and don't care about green algae much. They like red or brown. I've tried some sushi algae and it wasn't a bit hit unfortunately.

reefD
03/09/2009, 10:41 PM
yeah the sushi algae is green. i would try to contact a distributer from ocean nutrition..talk to a person directly!. if your willing to purchase a large amount (aka bulk) you should get a great deal verses buying at unit cost. clearly your willing to buy alot just be prepared to get alot and have a way to keep it fresh and stored. id use a food saver packager to shrink wrap with no oxygen to destroy the produce.

fufu
03/09/2009, 10:57 PM
Depending where you are, I live in a very ethic city, I can find red nori for sale because there are many selection. Usually the korean and japanese brand are green, the chinese are red. Just have to look around.

rendogg
03/10/2009, 02:20 AM
Yeah dude, go to a T&T market and look at what they have, Vancouver is one of the most "ethnic" places in the world. They would probably go for Dulce (a maritime favorite). Make sure whatever you buy is dried not roasted and not seasoned(obviously). Your fish don't like green algae? Maybe they haven't tried tasty green algae, I buy a big fat pack of dried (not roasted) sushi algae and my fish love it. There are red ones too at your local asian market.

ludnix
03/10/2009, 04:51 AM
My fish would only eat the red stuff at first too, I just ended up clipping some green with the red and they eventually developed a taste for it. The green is nice because it doesn't deteriorate in the tank as fast as the red does.

ColeBC
03/10/2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll look for red at T&T and maybe try some green mixed in. I might also try to call Ocean Nutrition and see if they'll sell bigger ones.