PDA

View Full Version : New Qt tank...lots of tangs to move...or corals help decide, 210 dt

EleganceMan
03/09/2009, 11:57 PM
i need to qt all my fish for a very bad ich outbreak in my 210dt....should i move all the fish into the newly setup 40 qt tank or the corals.
I am worried about all these fish in such a small tank:
three yellow tangs 4.5"
pb tang 4"
pbrown 3.5"
four percs two black and two orange 2" each
lawnmower 4"
dia. goby 4"
skipper blenny 4"
scooter blenny 2.5"
purple tang 2.5" healthiest one

lots of small frags... but less by size comparison!

so what do you think...how would you save these fish? i have already lost some of my favorite ones achilles tang 6" so nice
copperband 2" french angel 1.25" baby.... :(

help me please i have never done a qt tank or needed meds for ten years...i am overwelmed!!

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 12:09 AM
i have a uv and was going to use it to pump water from my dt into the new qt so that my fish wont have to be stresse from acclimation to new water? is that a good idea...will the 18watt turbo twist kill all the ich as it passes through i have it hooked up to a cascade 1500 canaster with all carbon and the uv is on the outlet of it. then i was going to do hypo...but not sure if it will work in time i have to do some research on how to do it and how long it takes...my fish have ich pretty bad.

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 12:10 AM
come on i know someone is up at this hour....late night reefers where are you?

sanababit
03/10/2009, 12:18 AM
its your choice, you can move all fish or all corals/inverts to the new tank, how are you going to treat them, hypo? copper?, if its hypo then move all corals and iverts to the 40 gal and lower salinity in the DT, if its copper then you will need to move all fish but a 40 wont cut it for all those fish, just get a big brute trash can or plastic bin and put them all there, get a pump, heater and filter and watch them for the next 6-8 weeks..good luck

sana

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 12:30 AM
ok its late....i am not thinking right....can you treat a dt with live rock in it....and sand? I also have a sump/refugium with tons of macro algae!

sanababit
03/10/2009, 01:13 AM
you can lower salinity in your dt but you need to remove all inverts and coral, it will kill a lot off pods and microfauna, so you are better of just buying a big brute trash can and put all your fish there and treat them separatly......

sana

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 01:14 AM
the 40 qt is full of new water that i was going to use as a exchange with the dt...have a power head, heater and air stone in it right now.... i am so frustrated.... i think i will see if my local petstore will take all the small fish and qt them for me..think they could all go in a fourty...just cant seem to figure out the best way to do this with the options i have....

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 01:18 AM
i want some of them in this fourty so i still have some fish to see....dont want to go into depression with no fish to view from the couch....already on my way there with such nice achilles dead and everyone else on their way!! I am thinking the powder blue purple and the four percs.... what do you think....also does ich affect all fish....dt has to be completely empty (of fish) for eight weeks....

sanababit
03/10/2009, 01:21 AM
like nike says "just do it", if that is what you have then do it, the fish need to be qt and the faster you start the better chance they got in pulling through, just remember to keep good water parameters in the qt tank, FWIW, i have had ick in DT, i just feed food soaked in garlic and the fish seem to fight the parasites off, been doing it for 2 years now

sana

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 01:21 AM
going to bed....i have had enough for one day...updates tomorrow....thanks

Toddrtrex
03/10/2009, 01:32 AM
IMO, putting all those fish into a 40 to cure them isn't going to work. There is going to be huge water quality issues, and a lot of fighting. Heck, that is a big bio-load for even a 210.

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 08:55 AM
yeah all of them in the fourty would never work..... i think i will put the powder blue, purple, and percs. the rest will go to the petstore for qt. Now i get to catch them all....yeh!

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 09:17 AM
ok....i am draining out the new water in the fourty to use for the water exchange from the dt.....does anyone know about the uv idea..... use the water from the dt that is coming straight out of my 18watt tt uv....my thought were that i wouldnt get any ich in the qt that way....but the fish have it so bad does it really matter....i would like to know before i get started because its a lot easier to just drain from the top of the dt into the qt if it doesnt matter!

crvz
03/10/2009, 09:33 AM
Just be very diligent about watching the fish in the 40 gallon... that's not a large tank and those fish may actually be more stressed by a long-term stay in a tank that size. I've had poor success QTing surgeonfish in small tanks.

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 10:31 AM
well dt water is going in to the qt right now....

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 02:14 PM
well that was not fun....i hate movine my rocks once i have them where i like...i can never do it the same and takes me forever to get it where i like again... but all the fish are in the fourty right now and they may be there for a couple hours. we are having a huge blizzard right now...17" of snow.

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 03:22 PM
ok i split up some of the fish.... i put the pblue in the fuge...yellow tang in the skimmer section of my sump.... one yellow in the return pump section of my sump..... and the rest are in the fourty. DT look really good finally.... i will post some pics as soon as i figure out how to change the file type.

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 08:07 PM
how do i post pics that are jpegs?

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 08:53 PM
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/vancefargo/028-1.jpg
here is the stand framwork

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 08:55 PM
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/vancefargo/030.jpg

framwork done....need some oak plywood and i am snowed in....

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 08:57 PM
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/vancefargo/038.jpg

close up of the LVL and 2x6 corner

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 08:59 PM
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/vancefargo/039.jpg

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 09:00 PM
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/vancefargo/070.jpg

EleganceMan
03/10/2009, 09:03 PM
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/vancefargo/046.jpg

DT after taking everything out and catching fish.... I need more rock.... think i can add it slowly and not kill the corals...