PDA

View Full Version : Tomini Tang

Mike778922
03/10/2009, 06:57 AM
I was thinking of adding a tomini tang to my 75 gallon reef with a yellow tang in it. How are tomini tangs as far as aggression towards other tangs is concerned?

Gwynhidwy
03/10/2009, 07:07 AM
Depends on your current tang's aggression and territoriality, but probably not a good idea. Your established yellow will likely be a much bigger problem than the newcomer you want to add. Most of the time a 75G is a pretty tight squeeze for two tangs anyway. Good luck.

reeferstace
03/10/2009, 07:41 AM
I agree with Gwynhidwy. Having an already-established yellow makes it almost impossbile to add another tang, especially in a tank this small. This would certainly be doable IF the Tomini had been the first tang in. If you really want both, maybe you can remove the YT temporarily and let the Tomini settle in then re-add the YT a few weeks later. Would that be a option for you?

Mike778922
03/10/2009, 08:37 AM
Im actually in the process of re aquascaping, I was going to take the yellow tang out temporarily. I could just leave the yellow tang in the quarantine tank and add the tomini to the display tank. TWhe fish are pretty similar as far as size goes. I got the yellow tang when it was rather small, now its about 4" and the tomini at the lfs is about 3.5". With completely different rock work would it still be necessary to wait a few weeks or should I put them together sooner to avoid the tomini becoming too aggressive?

crvz
03/10/2009, 09:49 AM
There's no sure solution, in any case you're at risk of aggression. Are you convinced the tomini is the fish you want? There are some other good additions for a tank that size that may be better suited with the yellow tang (some of the reef safe Genicanthus angels or Xanthicthys triggers, for example).

MattL
03/10/2009, 10:47 AM
Don't do it. A 75 is small for one tang. It's too small for two. If you would like to keep more tangs, then buy them the right sized tank.

Matt:cool:

jubjub
03/10/2009, 05:05 PM
^^ thats a load of hooey the whole tang and tanksize thing im not a believer on that to be honest i've seen 3 tangs get along great in a 75gal(yellow/purple/blue not mine though) regardless it really depends i've tried a blueeye tang in my tank with my yellow....yellow promptly disposed of that fish......basically my tang is so aggressive that the only fish thats about the same size as the tang i've been able to put in there with out it killing it has been my niger trigger...but the trigger is now king of the tank...

MattL
03/10/2009, 06:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14581193#post14581193 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jubjubrsx
^^ thats a load of hooey the whole tang and tanksize thing im not a believer on that to be honest i've seen 3 tangs get along great in a 75gal(yellow/purple/blue not mine though) regardless it really depends i've tried a blueeye tang in my tank with my yellow....yellow promptly disposed of that fish......basically my tang is so aggressive that the only fish thats about the same size as the tang i've been able to put in there with out it killing it has been my niger trigger...but the trigger is now king of the tank... While I really like your userpic and your tag line, anyone who has spent any time in the hobby will tell you that such a situation will not last.

Moreover, while you may think things are "fine", anyone with any experience would quickly observe the signs of stress.

Did you not read the post just the other day about someone trying the same thing (yellow and a tomini in a 75) and ending up with a rather frayed tomini?

Listen, I've tried it. I've seen others try it. And anyone with any experience will tell you: it always ends poorly.

Of course you can cram three (or more) juveniles in a small tank. But we advocate good husbandry here and not dumping mature fish back on the market after they've outgrown the system. If you want to give bad advice, I suggest someplace else.

The point is: why not get the tank the tangs need? Why play around with big boy fish in such a school boy tank? What's the phobia of big tanks? You don't put 10lbs. in a 5lb. bag? Why crap around with a small tank if you really want to keep tangs? It will never last.

Also about a yellow, purple, and blue, the person in question's obviously never seen an adult blue.

Matt:cool: