PDA

View Full Version : New Tank, Lots of Questions.

BeginnerReefer
03/10/2009, 09:03 AM
Ok, so I've been looking through the forums. And haven't found the answers.. So I figured I'd post one thread on the several questions I have on my new tank.

first off, Aiptasia? And your best recommendations to get rid of it? I bought a shrimp.. I believe peppermint. That was supposed to kill the bugger, no beans. I've also tried chasing it with a needle and some lemon juice.. but unfortunately I'm just not quick enough.

Secondly this grey/green stuff started on my LR pretty quickly after I brought it home. I really don't have a clue as to what it is.

And thirdly.. black and white arm things sticking out of the grey/green stuff. Any ideas?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/rouge_mare/SDC10523-edited.jpg

sorry about the Pic quality. I don't have that great of a camera.

Thanks in advance for answers!!

turretdr
03/10/2009, 09:07 AM
Grey/green stuff looks like sponges. The "black and white arm things" looks like a feather duster. Both are great for your tank. Although, it is hard to tell for sure due to the picture size.

thegrun
03/10/2009, 09:33 AM
#1 try to blast the hole he hides in with hot water.
#2 +1 on sponges, they don't hurt anything, but you can scrape them off if you do not like them.
#3 I can't see the arm, but the description sure sounds like a starfish (good).

BeginnerReefer
03/10/2009, 10:13 AM
ok, so for sure its an aiptasia? I did blast the hole once with lemon juice, but I'm worried about doing it to much and altering my tank balances.

I think the black and white arm would just be a feather duster... It doesn't move...

Is there a chance that the sponge could take over my LR?

medic 125
03/10/2009, 10:34 AM
Sponge is actually a food source for Linkia starfish. They are beautiful if you want to get one and they will keep the sponge in check. Go to your lfs ad buy some aptasia removal paste. Make sure you turn off your pumps 10 minutes before and 45 minutes after placing the paste on the aptasia.

svynx
03/10/2009, 11:03 AM
Last time I read about aptasia, it doesn't move much if at all. It does multiply quickly though. If what you think is aptasia is moving fast enough that you are having a tough time catching it, then it's not aptasia. Peppermint shrimp do eat it, but it depends on yours in particular. Some do, some don't. If you can take that rock out, boil it or use super glue gel on the area that the aptasia is at. If you can't get that rock out, Kalk paste works well too. As for the sponge, I wouldn't worry about it. If it lives, then things are ok in your tank.

abulgin
03/10/2009, 11:15 AM
I believe it is an Aiptasia. They do move quickly if you touch them--they will shrink up immediately. Take it from someone who has suffered--NIP IT IN THE BUD NOW while there are only a few. Best stuff is Aiptasia-X by Red Sea. Apply generously--cover the sucker.

Reverend Reefer
03/10/2009, 01:44 PM
how long have you had the peppermint shrimp? they hide during the day and mostly come out at night. i have 2 that i rarely see but i also don't have an aiptasia problem anymore. every once in a while i see a new aiptasia but they don't last very long.

there is however, something in my tank that looks very much like aiptasia and its been there for awhile now. after looking at many different ID pics, i've decided that it is actually some kind of hydroid jellyfish that looks very similar to aiptasia.

gsxr750
03/10/2009, 02:04 PM
try boiling vinegar and then inject the aiptasia