PDA

View Full Version : PM Bullet1/BK Mini 160/Euro reef RS 180. Help decision

PowermanKW
03/10/2009, 09:46 AM
I have the EV-120 on my 90g reef now that is normally stocked. May be heavily in the future depending on skimmer. I bought a PM Bullet 1 and a Mag12. I'm waiting for that one to get here. It's over seas.

So, now I have a line on a BK mini 160 right here local. It is only 8 months old. He went to the Gen II 180. He wants $550.

I know the PM1 will be better than my EV-120. Still excited to get it. However, the BK is at a good price and lightly used. I would never drop the cash for a new one. Of course, for both these I am taking off the money I expect to get from my 120/mag7.

The same guy also has a ER RS 180. He used that one for a year and a half. It includes the SP4 pump, as well as the SP5, and the gate valve mod. He wants $300 for that.

I can always turn around and sell the Bullet1/12 when it comes in.

Any input on the differences would be most appreciated. I'm not very knowledgeable on the ER and BK. Heck the Bullet 1 is new to me.

PS- I just got my taxes back;)

cpllongjk
03/10/2009, 12:43 PM
go with the BK since you can get it at such a nice price. It will beat those other skimmers even though its gen1.

PowermanKW
03/10/2009, 12:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14579237#post14579237 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cpllongjk
go with the BK since you can get it at such a nice price. It will beat those other skimmers even though its gen1.

Thanks. I looked at the improvement of the Gen II, and it does not seem to great. They will probably do a cone at some point.

Actually, the seller moved up to the 180 Gen II cone. He actually said he liked the 160 better. Set it up and never touched it. He said he messes with the 180 more.

cpllongjk
03/10/2009, 01:11 PM
Youll be happy with that bk mini. The only competition it has are some of the new cones. The difference between gen 1 isnt that much. Its a different volute and more air draw. The pump and the pin wheel are the same. It is better, but only 20% or so, if that.

For the price youre getting a bk mini at, thats a steal and if I were you I wouldnt pass that up.

PowermanKW
03/10/2009, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14579465#post14579465 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cpllongjk
Youll be happy with that bk mini. The only competition it has are some of the new cones. The difference between gen 1 isnt that much. Its a different volute and more air draw. The pump and the pin wheel are the same. It is better, but only 20% or so, if that.

For the price youre getting a bk mini at, thats a steal and if I were you I wouldnt pass that up.

Not to mention, no shipping. I'm buying his Tunze osmolator for sure, and will probably walk away with the BK. I will probably stick to the Bullet 1 I'm getting over the ER RS 180.

I went to a Herbie overflow. I want as much aeration as possible. Hence the move from the EV-120.

I'm always up for improvements. The Gen II are better. But I'm not going to complain much going from a EV-120 to a BK regardless of version.

FWIW, I'm a rookie, so I don't have much experience. I have no complaints with the EV. I just wish the previous owner would have gone to a 180. If that was the case, we would not be having this conversation.

hansmatt
03/10/2009, 01:52 PM
Great price on the BK...I just got one for my heavily stocked 90g/40g sump. Couldn't pass up the great price, though I considered the 180mini, but not for the hundreds extra. I'm very pleased with the almost silent running and fantastic build. I went from a heavily modified ER 5-3 with mesh impeller, which honestly worked very well. It was a bit tempermental to adjust, and louder than I wanted, but still a great skimmer (I'm keeping mine just in case). For the build, quiet, and energy savings, I'd give a huge endoresement to the BK...you won't regret it. BK says to not oversize the skimmers too much or you won't get quite the quality skim...so you're right on for size unless you are doing sps only and zeovit/vodka etc

PowermanKW
03/10/2009, 02:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14579749#post14579749 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hansmatt
Great price on the BK...I just got one for my heavily stocked 90g/40g sump. Couldn't pass up the great price, though I considered the 180mini, but not for the hundreds extra. I'm very pleased with the almost silent running and fantastic build. I went from a heavily modified ER 5-3 with mesh impeller, which honestly worked very well. It was a bit tempermental to adjust, and louder than I wanted, but still a great skimmer (I'm keeping mine just in case). For the build, quiet, and energy savings, I'd give a huge endoresement to the BK...you won't regret it. BK says to not oversize the skimmers too much or you won't get quite the quality skim...so you're right on for size unless you are doing sps only and zeovit/vodka etc

Thank you for sharing your experience. Right now I just have LPS and softies. Don't know how far I'll go into SPS. That's later down the road.

My equipment is in a closet, but I still don't like noise. Now, after my Herbie overflow, my EV-120 is the loudest thing in there. It got me thinking of the Bullet 1. The quietness of the BK is attractive.

hansmatt
03/10/2009, 02:08 PM
I don't think you'll ever look back, esp for the price.

moondoggy4
03/10/2009, 05:01 PM
Pass on the Euro Reef it is too large for your tank. I would go with the BK also

PowermanKW
03/10/2009, 05:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14581163#post14581163 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moondoggy4
Pass on the Euro Reef it is too large for your tank. I would go with the BK also

Cool. You don't hear that often.