PDA

View Full Version : Fraging

VOD
03/10/2009, 03:55 PM
What is the best way to cut or frag a coral? Also as far as mounting what do people use to attach and to mount?

Reverend Reefer
03/10/2009, 04:03 PM
putty, super glue gel, and frag plugs. you can use sharp scissors or break it with yer hands but a dremel is best, with the diamond cutting wheel for precision.

Reverend Reefer
03/10/2009, 04:04 PM
they have video tutorials on youtube....

VOD
03/10/2009, 04:07 PM
Just wondering if it will damage the coral if I break it. I accidently broke a birdsnest while cleaning it so I am wondering if it will damage the coral and that the coral that broke off will it grow on plugs?

Reverend Reefer
03/10/2009, 04:19 PM
i guess it depends on what yer fraggin but i was seriously shocked when i saw what people do to frag coral. if its a leather or a mushroom, you can literally just cut a piece off or cut in it half.

it takes some love and care to nurse it back to health cuz fragging does damage some of the tissue but that's how its. for LPS like frogspawn/torches, you can just break the base off, just make sure the tentacles are shrunk back when you do it to minimize tissue damage.

havoc519
03/10/2009, 04:23 PM
w/ your birdsnest , you can just glue it to some rubble rock in your tank or right to you LR. it won't hurt it

turretdr
03/10/2009, 04:32 PM
Be sure to use the gel version of super glue.

crvz
03/11/2009, 07:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14580764#post14580764 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VOD
Just wondering if it will damage the coral if I break it. I accidently broke a birdsnest while cleaning it so I am wondering if it will damage the coral and that the coral that broke off will it grow on plugs?

Yep, the broken piece will grow, but make sure not to leave birdsnest out of the water too long. Often I'll leave corals out to let the glue set, but Seriatopora species dry out quickly and you'll see some die-off after more than a few minutes out of the tank.